Supernova II question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

I got a good deal on a Supernova2 chuck. My question is, will it be suitable for a Jet 1014 mini lathe? Or is it too large? Does one normally purchase the insert seperately or am I missing a piece? Thanks in advance to anyone that may provide any relevant information.

-Peter-:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />I got a good deal on a Supernova2 chuck. My question is, will it be suitable for a Jet 1014 mini lathe? Or is it too large? Does one normally purchase the insert seperately or am I missing a piece? Thanks in advance to anyone that may provide any relevant information.

-Peter-[:D]

This is a very nice chuck, but you must also have the insert that is for your specific head stock thread, I would guess 1x8. The insert threads then into the large thread of the chuck itself. How good was the deal??

dubdrvrkev

Yeah, what Rudy said. I have used a SN2 on my mini for quite some time, now with an insert change it swaps to the DVR with no problem. Great chuck.
Contact, Charles at www.woodchipshome.com for the best deal on your insert (1"x8TPI). You might want to go ahead and order another set of screws for the jaws while your at it. When you change jaws you are bound to drop them in the shavings pile and they are nearly impossible to find in the shavings and at the local hardware store. I use a magnetic bowl under the chuck when I change but they have gotten away still.

wood-of-1kind

Rudy/Kevin,
thanks for your input. I got the SN2 for $140 CAD but without the insert. I am concerned about the weight of the SN2 which is a little over 6 lbs. Is a Jet(1014) mini lathe strong enough to handle this weight?
-Peter-

dubdrvrkev

Jet mini will handle it no problem. I chucked a piece of green mesquite that was about 9" diameter, it wouldn't even clear the tool rest under it, and it had no problems spinning that. The wood was probably 15 lbs alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom