Am I buying the right stuff for Kitless pen making?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Here is a link to Little Machine Shope's article on how to identify a Sieg lathe:

One of the criteria is that the lead screw on a Sieg does not extend beyond the right end support bearing. Looking at the photographs of the three that you are considering, the Busy Bee is the only one that meets that criterion. The others may be perfectly fine lathes, but parts availability may be a problem--I don't know. I do know that LMS can supply just about any Sieg part out there; that's how they got started.

Don't worry about brushless motors, torque, etc; that's just ancient physicists talking.

As far as The Penturners Bible is concerned, all the measurements are in inches.

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

@ColeCadorette

One of the biggest mistakes you could make, is to buy an expensive piece of equipment, "that will do".
While I am a fan of Craftex tools, I have a few woodworking machines, in this case, I think I would go with the LMS. In fact, if I didn't already have a vintage 10x24 lathe, I would be looking at LMS. The vintage machines offer their own problems.
My priority concerns beyond build quality, would be bed length and the diameter of the spindle through hole. Swing over the bed is not an issue with what we do, 7" is plenty. However, the bed length can be critical. By the time you add up the length of the headstock chuck, the tailstock, the drill chuck and the drill bit, there is not much room left. The spindle hole is critical when you start working with rod stock. You want the ability for the rod to slide into the tail stock keeping the minimum amount sticking out of the chuck.

My choices in order based on price in $CAD
Also consider that shipping from the states will likely add $200-300, while there is a BusyBee in Ottawa that you could drive to for a lot less.

These two are only if price is the biggest factor, because I think the bed length is to short.
LMS Sieg C3 - $780 +shipping and tax (only while its on sale)
Craftex CX704 - $1000 +tax. (You have the advantage of local assistance)

LMS HiTorque 5100 7x16- $1235+ shipping and tax. This is the one that I would choose today if my budget was a large factor. It gives a good bed size and spindle through hole.

If I could spend the extra (and I would try) I would choose one of these, as they are more robust machines that should not leave me wishing for a little more, 1 year down the road.

Craftex CX708 10x18- $2300 +tax
LMS HiTorque 3540 8.5x20- $2350 +shipping and tax

This is just my two cents. Keep in mind, that these machines come with a learning curve, and you will likely be watching a lot of YouTube.

darrin1200

@ColeCadorette

My priority concerns beyond build quality, would be bed length and the diameter of the spindle through hole. Swing over the bed is not an issue with what we do, 7" is plenty. However, the bed length can be critical. By the time you add up the length of the headstock chuck, the tailstock, the drill chuck and the drill bit, there is not much room left. The spindle hole is critical when you start working with rod stock. You want the ability for the rod to slide into the tail stock Head Stock keeping the minimum amount sticking out of the chuck.

I made a typing error in my post, but my tablet won't let me edit it. It should read head stock instead of tail stock.

ColeCadorette

I'm not sure what to do. I really don't want to order from the states I've been burned by duty fees in the past so im scared. I found the king canada lathe at a local machine shop for 999 it's on page 7. Is this a good deal? It's only 12" but I really can't spend any more than this.

Attachments

• SPRING Metal 2020 (1).pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 160

darrin1200

@ColeCadorette

If it is down to the two, then they are very similar machines and I am sure one will get you going the direction you want.
They look the same except for colour.
1595185269694.png
1595185283421.png

The king motor says it is a 5.5A while the CX is 1/2Hp-3A. I'm not an electric motor guy, so I couldn't say the difference.

You will also want to consider the store you are buying from. I do not know your local store, ie...what is their main business.
The BusyBee in Ottawa has a good selection of metal working accessories such as bits and things. They also have a couple of really knowledgeable staff that can help with asking questions and getting accessories.
And you will need accessories.

Here are the two manuals, to compare.

I hope this helps a little.

Attachments

• CX704.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 207
  • KC-0712ML manual-eng.pdf
    488.8 KB · Views: 152

magpens

Looking at the King Canada lathe description in your sale flyer ...... what does this mean ..... "mandrin 4"- 3 mors "

My French is not too good .... it might mean : "4-inch 3-jaw chuck" .... If so, that's a step in the right direction, but 4" 4-jaw chuck would be better.
Maybe you can request that as a special deal with the tool store that is selling this lathe.

I honestly don't know what to suggest. . I would like to think that the Amazon lathe is an acceptable product.
And I don't think you should give up on that option ...... do ask about the 30-day return policy, as it might apply to that lathe.
It is worth saving $250 if you can (compared to the King lathe).

The King at $999 CDN is not a bad deal. . And you do have the advantage of dealing with a "brick-and-mortar" store and live sales people.

I know how you feel about importing a lathe from the US, paying shipping plus import taxes plus a fee to Canada Customs .... that all HURTS !!

bmachin

Take a look at my most recent post above. Qualifications stated all stand but the King does not appear to be a Sieg machine where the Craftex does. Admittedly, I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy when it comes to future proofing.

Bill

Curly

Here is another of the mini lathes that fall into the same basic category. Princess Auto have a couple locations near Montreal. They don't specialize in metal working tools so support will be virtually nonexistent. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-3-hp-mini-metalworking-lathe/A-p8507659e

I have a 13" x 37" Grizzly lathe I bought when living just north of them in BC. They have been shipping into Canada a few years and as far as I know give you the delivered price with the brokerage fees included. They don't sell their bigger stuff to us but you could look into some of their smaller lathes.

I would step up a notch from the Sieg type like I linked above to the 8" or 9" x 18" or 20" ranges like Grizzly sell but I am not in your shoes. By any chance is there a makers space type place near you? They could have some lathes you could use until you decide what you want to get.

magpens

@Curly @ColeCadorette

I have a Sieg lathe (almost the same as this one) which I purchased at Princess Auto 10+ years ago. . Its motor is only 250 Watts in my lathe.
This low power motor has been adequate for making pens and everything else I have wanted to do. . It can do plastics, brass/alum but not steel.

You will notice that Princess Auto, in this listing, says that this lathe is "Out of Stock" for online, but that some stores MIGHT have it.

In my experience with Princess Auto, this lathe has been available at only 2 or 3 different times in the last 10 years.
It is not continuously available.

Curly said ....
" Here is another of the mini lathes that fall into the same basic category. Princess Auto have a couple locations near Montreal. They don't specialize in metal working tools so support will be virtually nonexistent. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-3-hp-mini-metalworking-lathe/A-p8507659e "

This listing mentions that this lathe is "1/3 horsepower". . The conversion is 1 horsepower = 746 watts, which makes it 250 Watts (as mine is).

Last edited:

ColeCadorette

Okay so update I've messaged the amazon seller asking specifically if the lathe is Sieg lathe and what there return policy is. So they have two business days to get back to me. If I'm not satisfied with their answer I think I'll go to my local machine shop I called and they seem nice plus I wont have to wait for shipping. It'll just cost more so I'll have to wait till next payday.

Speaking of next pay day I plan to buy all the tools I need then. I'm updating the original spreadsheet

My Budget is 550 for the tools. So my main question is do i still need the taps and dies with a metal lathe. I actually prefer single start threads so this might be doable on the lathe???

Jarod888

Okay so update I've messaged the amazon seller asking specifically if the lathe is Sieg lathe and what there return policy is. So they have two business days to get back to me. If I'm not satisfied with their answer I think I'll go to my local machine shop I called and they seem nice plus I wont have to wait for shipping. It'll just cost more so I'll have to wait till next payday.

Speaking of next pay day I plan to buy all the tools I need then. I'm updating the original spreadsheet

My Budget is 550 for the tools. So my main question is do i still need the taps and dies with a metal lathe. I actually prefer single start threads so this might be doable on the lathe???

You dont need taps and dies with a metal lathe, however - and it is a big however, single point threading on a metal lathe is an art, especially with the small diameters we are dealing with.

Honestly, if you are going single point, go with taps and dies, until you are intimately familiar with the operation of your lathe. I think I even have a set of m13 x .75 and m10 x 1, id sell you pretty cheap.

I'll look over your list and comment on that later.

Jarod888

So a couple of things, I think you will need a chuck, probably 4 jaw with that lathe. The drill chuck is expensive. I have a basically brand new one id sell you if you want the taps and dies. Just let me know.

Top Bottom