Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VODesign

Hi! I've been testing out casting some glitter in alumilite clear slow. However, I'm running into the problem where half the glitter sinks to the bottom (see attached photo). Is there any way to fix this?

I'm still relatively new to casting but here's the process I followed.

Mix equal parts A and B.
Mixed thoroughly.
I waited until the resin had reached a temperature of 97 degrees before adding glitter.
Mixed thoroughly.
Put the blanks in the pressure pot for 45 mins at 50psi.

Attachments

• IMG_9200.jpg
    IMG_9200.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I don't really know the answer to your problem but the Alumilite clear slow really takes a long time to harden so anything that is moderately more dense than the resin is going to sink; maybe try the Alumilite clear (not slow) which sets up much more quickly?

magpens

Hi Tori !! . Welcome to IAP !!

Wish I could be some help ... hope you solve it !

robutacion

G'day,

The problem is that the resin you are using has too long "gell" time giving ample time for the sparkle material to sink to the bottom. Even in a faster "gell" time resin you have a good chance to get the same results, the solution with this type of "floating" objects in resin is to not hurry in adding the glitter, you need to find out when the resin is going to start gelling or thickening and then add the glitter, stir quickly and put in the pressure pot, you don't have much time to spare when the resin starts to gell, in a few minutes the resin will harden enough to keep the material/glitter floating.

This issue is very common when trying to make blanks where we want "things" to stay suspended through the resin, the opposite reaction can also happen with material that has a high buoyancy capability such as coffee beans and similar materials so, sinking and floating are the 2 issues that casters have to deal with when creating/making/casting certain types of blanks.

Cheers
George

VODesign

G'day,

The problem is that the resin you are using has too long "gell" time giving ample time for the sparkle material to sink to the bottom. Even in a faster "gell" time resin you have a good chance to get the same results, the solution with this type of "floating" objects in resin is to not hurry in adding the glitter, you need to find out when the resin is going to start gelling or thickening and then add the glitter, stir quickly and put in the pressure pot, you don't have much time to spare when the resin starts to gell, in a few minutes the resin will harden enough to keep the material/glitter floating.

This issue is very common when trying to make blanks where we want "things" to stay suspended through the resin, the opposite reaction can also happen with material that has a high buoyancy capability such as coffee beans and similar materials so, sinking and floating are the 2 issues that casters have to deal with when creating/making/casting certain types of blanks.

Cheers
George
Thanks! I'll give it a little longer to gel and see how thanks works.

nobdyspecial

I experienced the same problem as you when I first tried to cast with glitter. I ended up coating the tube in epoxy (just roll the tube on a sheet with the epoxy on it), then gently dusting the tube with the glitter. (do this over some kind of paper so you can collect any extra and re-bag it). Then it's a simple tube-in cast. I've had pretty good feedback from the ones I've done. Especially popular with female customers.

Top Bottom