All-aluminum Anvil EDC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tdotrob

tdotrob

Of all the finishes pen kits come in, aluminum is the one I find hardest to match to a blank. So I got the bright idea to carve the barrel for an aluminum finish kit out of an aluminum rod. I bought 2 kits each in aluminum of several PSI styles and picked the Anvil EDC as the first experimental subject.

aluminum anvil pen.jpg

The barrel started as 3/4 inch rod stock mounted in a collet chuck. After marking I tried a carbide parting tool for a few minutes before giving up and just using the good old hacksaw. Then I faced off the end and added a dimple in the center to start the drill bit. I have a boring head for ring making and thought I might skip the tubes but the bits were too big so I drilled and epoxied the tube in as usual.

For shaping I took an old EWT Ci1-R4 carbide cutter and sharpened it up on a diamond stone. It cut smooth but slow when freshly sharpened and it took 2 sharpenings and 8 rotations of the cutter to complete the barrel. Then I wet-sanded to 3000 and ran through several buffing compounds starting with black emery and finishing with red rouge.

It isn't quite the mirror finish I was going for but it is reflective enough that it freaked out the camera meter and auto-focus. Still, it's clear I need practice polishing aluminum before I'll get it to look like I wanted. Also, I should probably have started with a kit I was already familiar with because when screwing on the cap assembly the clip left a spiral scratch on the barrel before I noticed and covered it with one of the plastic bags from the kit.

This was always going to be a practice pen experiment so wasn't going to be gifted or sold. Which is great because I like the pen a lot despite the scratches - which I might try to buff out later. At only 28 grams it lives up to the name and might become my new EDC pen.

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tdotrob

Thanks, guys!

Can I ask, how did the aluminum rod stock compare to a resin or wood blank, regarding price?
Three 5/8" x 12" rods are $15 at the moment, so about $2.50 per 6" blank. The real cost is in the time to turn. I would recommend starting with a diameter close to the final barrel size if possible. That would probably be a bit cheaper as well as a lot less effort. There's no way I'm turning a slimline from one of these 5/8" rods!

Top Bottom