A pen I'm quite proud of

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Amihai

Amihai

Jr. George rollerball pen. Rhodium and Gold plated, turned from Black & White Ebony. CA finish.

Attachments

• P1000058.JPG
    P1000058.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Nice job, Amihai.
Lovely timber.
It looks a wee bit underturned at the clip end, or is it just the kit or the photograph?
Alan

jrista

Beautiful pen. The choice of wood goes well with the kit. The little bit of gold I think helps tie the kit and the blank together.

If you don't mind a couple critiques? A few things I think could be improved in the next pen! (Won't critique unless you want to hear them though.)

Amihai

Beautiful pen. The choice of wood goes well with the kit. The little bit of gold I think helps tie the kit and the blank together.

If you don't mind a couple critiques? A few things I think could be improved in the next pen! (Won't critique unless you want to hear them though.)
My guess is that you're going to say it's a bit underturned and the CA finish is not completely uniform, with little strips. Did I miss something else?..

jrista

My guess is that you're going to say it's a bit underturned and the CA finish is not completely uniform, with little strips. Did I miss something else?..

Yeah, I think you got it. For the finish, I've started using Zona paper to do super fine sanding mostly on plastics. Its really amazing stuff, and goes down to 1 micron (ultra fine, probably around 10,000 grit normal sandpaper, or 18-20k in terms of micromesh). It might help you get that glassy finish.

Stubach

Yeah, I think you got it. For the finish, I've started using Zona paper to do super fine sanding mostly on plastics. Its really amazing stuff, and goes down to 1 micron (ultra fine, probably around 10,000 grit normal sandpaper, or 18-20k in terms of micromesh). It might help you get that glassy finish.
Why do you guys do this to me, now I simply must try this Zona paper. šŸ¤£

Amihai

I do use Zona paper. I think I will try using PSI's One step plastic polish as well. maybe a liquid sander will do a better job, who knows...

jrista

I do use Zona paper. I think I will try using PSI's One step plastic polish as well. maybe a liquid sander will do a better job, who knows...
Remember that the first couple of grits are critical. The first couple grits are what will level out the surface, and give you a smooth profile. Something I learned recently myself, is that choosing the right starting grit is also important. Start too low, and you can add scratches that are too deep, and they can be near-impossible to get rid of. I never start lower than 400 now, often 600. A softer touch, but a thorough sanding with each, will smooth out any tooling marks, bumps, etc. and give you that super smooth clean profile. You might need to work it a bit with the third grit as well. If you still have visible scratches, streaks, etc. then keep sanding with the second grit until they are gone...then and only then continue to the higher grits. With Zona paper you should have pretty much a glass-smooth, very reflective finish by the time you get down to 1 micron. After that, you can indeed use a plastic polish to take it to the next level. Keep in mind though...if you have visible, larger scale scratches, polish, being such a fine grit (often grit is rated in the tens of thousands for polishes) won't be able to eliminate them. The best way to deal with streaks is to work those first two-three grits until you have a real clean, smooth blank that does not exhibit notable scratches.

Top Bottom