A few bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

Took a break from the candle holders to turn a few bowls, something I don't normally do, I am not a bowl turner. I think there is just too much emphasis on perfect shape, form, wall too thin, wall too thick, foot, no foot, lift, no lift. I much rather spend my time putting a piece of wood on the lathe, turn it round, hollow it out and it become just a bowl, nothing more, nothing less. So, with that being said, these are exactly that, just some bowls. The spalted Oak are 5 to 5 1/4" in dia. and 2 to 2/12" in height. The Walnut bowls are about the same and the larger bowl is 9 x 3". That wood was labeled Elm, but I had a couple of small pieces that looks the same that was labeled Box Elder, so not sure which it is, but I like the red flame in it. The finish is just friction finish using some of Ron's sanding paste.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• Elm Bowl .jpg
    Elm Bowl .jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Elm Bowl 2.jpg
    Elm Bowl 2.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Elm Bowl 3.jpg
    Elm Bowl 3.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Spalted Oak bowls 2.jpg
    Spalted Oak bowls 2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Spalted Oak bowls.jpg
    Spalted Oak bowls.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Walnut Bowl 2.jpg
    Walnut Bowl 2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Walnut Bowl.jpg
    Walnut Bowl.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 85
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I like them all. I have a soft spot in my heart for the saved bowls with the bowties and the colored epoxy.
I've tried to get the sides "very" thin but I end going the way of your feelings. When I think it's thin enough I'm done.
Well done!

I'm no expert, but I think your Elm bowl is actually Box Elder.... I found a whole tree some years back that Ten DOT cut in preparation to build a new bridge over a creek that had flame from the base all the way to the top... wonderful wood to work with and wish I still had some of it.

Your bowls are fine just as you turned them... I turn a bowl until I like the way it looks, sometimes with a foot, sometimes without, walls a little thicker and sometimes walls a little thinner.. when I like the bowl, I stop cutting and start sanding... if someone else likes the bowl, they buy it, if not it will wait for another buyer that likes it.

Great work on your bowls.

bmac

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. I am inclined to agree with you Chuck, although the wood was labeled Elm, I believe it to be Box Elder based on some research on the internet from several wood sources.

Bobby
Louisiana

Top Bottom