3d stopper help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I was looking for a written tutorial on how to do this process. Is there one? I can't look at videos with my dial up connection, so i really need it in written format. Or just someone willing to explain the process to a noob. Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

You need explanations from start to finish, or just about a particular step or two?

Either way you may find something in the Archives. Go there and do a "search" and if you still need help get back with us here!

jleiwig

I assume your talking about embedding an object into the resin?

First you would need to pour your base color resin into your mold and let it set up to the B stage, which is where it is hardening, but still tacky. Then affix your embelishment to the resin using the tackiness of the resin to hold the object. Then carefully pour the rest of your clear resin over the top of the object. It's can sometimes be useful to use a popsicle stick and poor over the stick to break up the resin as it falls into the mold (but you may get some entrapped bubbles this way). That way it won't disrupt your embelishment as much. Then finish the cast in your usual method.

sbell111

I assume your talking about embedding an object into the resin?

First you would need to pour your base color resin into your mold and let it set up to the B stage, which is where it is hardening, but still tacky. Then affix your embelishment to the resin using the tackiness of the resin to hold the object. Then carefully pour the rest of your clear resin over the top of the object. It's can sometimes be useful to use a popsicle stick and poor over the stick to break up the resin as it falls into the mold (but you may get some entrapped bubbles this way). That way it won't disrupt your embelishment as much. Then finish the cast in your usual method.
I add a step to this when I make my stoppers.

I pour the base color and wait for it to set up. (Often I'll actually pour a two or three part base giving it a stir to create a nice swirling). Then I'll pour a somewhat thin clear layer. Once this mostly sets up, I place teh object on top and pour the rest of the clear. The inclusion of this first clear layer makes the object appear to levitate above the colored base layer, rather than just sit on top of it.

jleiwig

I add a step to this when I make my stoppers.

I pour the base color and wait for it to set up. (Often I'll actually pour a two or three part base giving it a stir to create a nice swirling). Then I'll pour a somewhat thin clear layer. Once this mostly sets up, I place teh object on top and pour the rest of the clear. The inclusion of this first clear layer makes the object appear to levitate above the colored base layer, rather than just sit on top of it.

Good idea. :biggrin:

workinforwood

Here's a fun easy project for you. Grab yourself a small pine cone. Build a little wood mold that is about 1/2" wider and longer than the pine cone in all directions. The mold is a box with no lid basically...hey, this is just a play/practice exercise with great results. The pine cone is going to suspend right in the middle of the mold. The screw on a stopper I think is 1/4", feel free and correct me or alter the directions just slightly. Drill a 1/4" hole through the exact center on one of the ends of the mold. Using some thick CA glue, glue a 1/4 dowel on the end of the pine cone. You need to eyeball that dowel as good as you can so that it lines up as if it was going to go straight through from the butt to the tip of the cone. Slide the dowel into the drilled hole, nice and careful not to break anything. If the cone breaks off, just stick the dowel in the hole then glue the cone back on..might be easier glueing the cone to the dowel while in the mold anyhow. The dowel should stick into the mold about a 1/4" at least, because you want resin to cover part of the dowel too. Seal the area where the dowel went through the mold with some CA and accelerator just in case of a leak. Pour the mold with your clear resin. When cured, cut off the wood. Drill out the dowel. The drill hole is now the hole for your stopper mandrel. Spin it to the general shape of the pine cone, but not all the way to the actual cone, otherwise if you expose the cone you will need to apply a finish. Now you have a suspended pine cone in resin on a stopper. I've done some and they look pretty cool. Hope you can follow all that, or make enough sense of it to get you on your way. I understand about the video's, I can't watch them on my phone either.

And..finally, whatever Ed Davidson's<aka yoyospin> totorial says..is sure to be great. His stoppers and Yo-yo's are off the charts!!

RAdams

Banned
Yes, that was a handy tutorial, but i was indeed talking about making PR blanks with "floating" items in the PR. The process in my mind is pretty much the same as the instructions given on this thread, i just wanted to make sure before i did some major boo boo.

Top Bottom