Failed first attempt...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Failed first attempt...a little better 2nd try...

I'm very sad, but not discouraged.

Tried casting my first batch of PR and it failed. I obviously used too much testors.

Can someone please give me an general idea of the correct proportions for using testors in PR?

I also need some direction on the proper time to put another color or some pearlex in to keep it from floating to the top.

I'm not asking anyone to give away any trade secrets (unless you really, really want to:wink:). I'd just like to get a better idea so I don't waste the little bit of stuff I have.

Consider it a birthday present to me as today (5/28) was my birthday.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

No help at all on your series of questions. But I do want to say just a day late ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! :present::present:

OK, where is the party and cake and ice cream and stuff? I think Cav, quite a few others, and and I are hungry about now! We want to sign as well!!!

Nancy,

Happy Birthday!

Now I am going to break one of my own rules...

I don't use, never have used Testors. That said, I only use between 0.05ml to 0.5ml per metric ounce of resin (30ml) of polyester pigment as a base color before augmenting with powdered pigments.

Good luck

bitshird

Nancy I use polyester resin dye, just a few drops per ounce, U.S Composites sells it for about 3.00 per jar, The pearl Ex can be added any time, but using Pearl Ex and most pigment dyes is sort of counter productive, there are transparent dyes that you can use pearl Ex with, Pigments tend to hide the effect and colors of the Pearl Ex powder.

By the way
[size=+5] Happy Birthday[/SIZE]

ngeb528

Batch #2 is complete and it's a lot better than the 1st try.

I can actually see the swirls in the blanks. Now I've got to figure out everything else that I have to know about casting.

Thanks for everyone's help and birthday wishes.

Feel free to suggest things for me to try.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Belated Happy Birthday Nancy . I use Mica powders from http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=35 to color both PR and Alumilite . You get lots of pearl and swirl in many different colors , and it's cheap , between $3 and $5 per oz which will do allot of blanks . It mixes very well and looks great .
Coastal does have great powders and they are extremely fine so they don't have a tendency to sink like some of the paint additives. It's a great starting point.

Top Bottom