Quick wood sealing HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I just had a friend drop off a bunch of Bradford Pear that was curt yesterday, I don't have any anchorseal or any thing like it, the wood is still pretty wet , one piece is from right at the ground and will make a killer bowl if I can keep it from checking, I de barked it with a wood chisel, the bark came off easy, but will poly work as a quick sealant, I have a can of minwax waterbased poly, does that sound like a good solution.also have a lot of 2 and 3 ft long sections around 3 to 4 inch diameter should I try and cut them short and seal them or leave them at that length.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I have had luck using basic paint before. I just really paint the heck out of the endgrain and let dry. I have switched to Anchorseal since but the paint did work. You will still have check marks along the pith but most of the time thats just how it goes(for me anyhow). Good luck and post some pics!! I haven't seen this kind of wood before.

bitshird

Ken,

Paraffin or your wife's Christmas candles will do in a pinch. (Melt the wax first!)
Thanks Cav that was my first thought but this wood is soooo wet, I wasn't sure, Now I guess it's a ride to town and get some paraffin Fortunately the store has put out it's canning stuff,

Halling51

Thanks Cav that was my first thought but this wood is soooo wet, I wasn't sure, Now I guess it's a ride to town and get some paraffin Fortunately the store has put out it's canning stuff,

I would have used basic paint. That'll do just fine. An old advise here in Norway

mitchm

Ken, I usually leave the bark on and paint the ends of the log with any PVA or oil based paints I have. If the bark is off, I just paint the whole log. My understanding is that the log needs to dry evenly and the exposed endgrain loses moisture quicker than the bark covered areas, hence the painting of the endgrain.

Top Bottom