2011 Casing Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

you ain't lying Jeff, LOL, but thats what make this contest so fun! Its the anticipation of what the next person is gonna create. It challenges our brains to be creative

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I will agree with both of you. I think the ceativity has jumped a few notches. Even if you don't win you should be proud, as they are all fantastic looking pens

pfde4

Rule #2 Clarification

This is something I have in the works for my son. Does this count technically it could write….. RED Sorry for the pic just had it on my phone

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 202

seamus7227

This is something I have in the works for my son. Does this count technically it could write….. RED Sorry for the pic just had it on my phone

Jim

where does the ink come out of? Very interesting idea! If it were a dual purpose item(write/shave)that would be cool as all get-out!!!

Last edited:

Sylvanite

30-30-30-30-30 Pen

I'm slipping this one in under the wire. My original concept was quite different, but size constraints repeatedly sent me "back to the drawing board", and then I ran out of time. So, I had to simplify things to get the pen done by the deadline.

It's an all 30-cal pen. It's made from actual rifle cartridges in the following calibers:
  • 7.62x39mm
  • 7.62x51mm
  • 308 Winchester
  • 30-06 Springfield
  • 300 Winchester Magnum
The cap and body decorations are turks head knots and tripled french hitching done with black whipping twine.

30CalPenUncapped.jpg30CalPenCapped.jpg

This is the first cartridge pen I've done in a very long time that doesn't actually use a bullet. It gave me an excuse to break out the triple-start tap and die I picked up in a group buy here.

I hope you like it,
Eric

Last edited:

seamus7227

Nice work Eric!! One of these days I'm gonna learn how to make those clips:rolleyes: Very well executed. I'm curious about your threading, did you have to add any metal in order to cut the threads? Do you mind sharing?

EBorraga

In Memoriam
How Hell Eric. I've been working on a bullet fountain pen for myself. Haven't mastered threading the bullet as of yet. That is one cool ace pen dude:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great job Eric. I haven't seen any of that fancy work since '69 I learned some of it while I was in. Great ideas.

Now, somebody PLEASE shut the door!!!

bensoelberg

My entry, thanks to Eric

Well, right on the heels of Eric's fabulous pens, I am posting my humble offer. Eric provided me with this kit because I had never made a casing pen before. I used curly maple and then dyed it red. Unfortunately, my picture is not super awesome. Thanks for the kit Eric, I really enjoyed making this pen and have had some positive feedback from all those who have seen it.

Attachments

• cartridge pen.jpg
    cartridge pen.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 156

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Looks really good for your first casing pen. I've been on a dying spree lately as i'm gonna show the local chapter how I do it. It really makes curly maple pop!!

Rfturner

Eric That looks great it reminds me of what can be done on a lager scale with para cord. Just curious did you press in a fountain pen nib and housing from a classic kit?

seamus7227

... did you have to add any metal in order to cut the threads?
The short answer is yes (or no, depending on how you look at it). Sorry for being cryptic, but the long answer involves something about the pen that I'm hoping somebody will notice.

Regards,
Eric

Is the lower barrel threaded section from a piece of solid brass? therefore allowing you to make the threads?

Last edited:

Sylvanite

... did you press in a fountain pen nib and housing from a classic kit?
I used a feed and nib (and a couple of thin trim rings) that I had in a leftover parts tray. I'm not sure where they originally came from - but it could have been a "classic" kit. I made a few long ago but don't anymore. The feed was loose, so I put a piece of shrink tube around it and compressed the case neck just enough for a snug fit.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Is the lower barrel threaded section from a piece of solid brass? therefore allowing you to make the threads?
All the exposed brass, except for the pins in the clip, comes from shellcases. The finial and both centerband sections are from 300 WinMag brass. The bottom cap is from 308 Win brass. The clip sports 7.62x51mm case head, and the nib grip section started as a 7.62x39mm case.

I hope that answers your question,
Eric

P.S. Yes, the answer is hidden in there. Thanks for the interest. :biggrin:

BigShed

One more for good measure.

IMG_2717.jpg

Most elements of gun/bullet incorporated in the one pen.

IMG_2718.jpg

American walnut to represent the gun stock, home brew resin/aluminium powder/black pigment composite to represent the barrel. three .308 casings and .30 projectile.

IMG_2723.jpg

Clip and finial powder coated black, just for something different.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

I believe you threaded the magnum band at the base of the cases. Extra thick with a clean edge to start the threads at.
Bzzz! Sorry, wrong - but thanks for playing!

Seriously though, that's a good guess. That would be a possible solution, but I chose a different one. Here's another hint. There's something in my original description that is missing from my previous post.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

The 30-06 case was used and if I'm still wrong you'd better tell us before someone comes a huntin' fer ya!
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!.

Yes, I threaded a short section of 30-06 case head inside and out to be the join between the 300 WinMag centerband and the 7.62x39mm grip.
3006Threaded.jpg

Since I have a thread describing this pen over in SOYP, I'll post the details there.

Thanks for playing,
Eric

USAFVET98

Its not much but its all I got for now..

I turned this one for my dad and thought it came out pretty good.

It is the PSI shot shell roller ball kit. I wanted the cap to really resemble a shot shell while being unique as well so I used a nice piece of Buffalo horn. For the base, he loves Cocobolo so I found a highly figured piece in my collection and cut this part out of the middle.

I dont have the fancy tools some of you have and since I was going to post this anyway, might as well be here with this amazing display artistic brilliance.

We here it is, hope ya like it..

CIMG4977.jpg

CIMG4984.jpg

CIMG4996.jpg

CIMG4987.jpg

johncrane

My 1st Entry

308 bullet Click Pen in Jungle Camo!
The Clip i made using a 308 case,
Then the Clip was recessed into the Bullet
The Clicker top i recessed a used primer into it
The middle of the bullet was threaded to change the refill, This was So much fun!:biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_2302.JPG
    100_2302.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_2756.JPG
    100_2756.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 100_2298.jpg
    100_2298.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

johncrane

My 2nd Entry

This pen is a bit different than the first pen It has the same 308 bullet and Click Mechanism the clip is attached different and has a different handle,the handles are silver solder,all the bushings or joiners where sized to a 10mm brass tube,the blank is Black with Gold Matrix, from R & B Crafts.

Attachments

• 100_2586.JPG
    100_2586.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_2585.jpg
    100_2585.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_2588.JPG
    100_2588.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 229

johncrane

3rd entry

My 3rd pen is the same 308 bullet Click Mechanism, the 308 works well for this size pen,again another bayonet clip which is a bit different,another good thing these clips make great letter openers, the blank on this pen is a see thru Cactus, which i cast in Barnes Easy Cast Clear, in the some of the photos you will see our flag, this is a sticker put on the refill, a bit of fun
The blank was drilled using a 10mm drill then sanded and polished to a gloss then flooded with thin CA then sanded again,placed on a steel rod turned and finish to size, then i polished the inside to a gloss finish. the best part of this is taking Part in the CASING CHALLENGE!!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_2636.JPG
    100_2636.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_2671.jpg
    100_2671.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_2651.JPG
    100_2651.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_2761.JPG
    100_2761.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Sylvanite

Great pens all, John. The bayonet clips are sharp looking and I've never seen a click post with a primer in the end. Very creative! Is that a kit part for the nib, or did you use a real bullet that I'm not familiar with?

Oh, and I agree with you that participation in the challenge is the real prize. It pushes us to try something beyond what we've already done.

Best of luck to all,
Eric

bitshird

Man voting for a favorite among these pens is going to be extremely hard, there is so many that have gone beyond any of the previous casing/cartridge contests, it's amazing, with Fountain pens, Click pens, pens made with real gun powder.
This year so many have gone so far over the top I love looking at them.

hewunch

Man voting for a favorite among these pens is going to be extremely hard, there is so many that have gone beyond any of the previous casing/cartridge contests, it's amazing, with Fountain pens, Click pens, pens made with real gun powder.
This year so many have gone so far over the top I love looking at them.

I know, I am trying to decide if I am going to vote for my own entry :eek:

G1Pens

.300 Win Mag POW-MIA Pen

Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Planned on having this entered almost two weeks ago, but with an unplanned blowout and a week of vacation, it just didn't happen until now. This is nothing like some of the entries here, but at least it gets me in the drawing.

This is my first real casing pen. I have done a couple of the PSI kits that are replicas but this is a .300 Win Mag Cartridge from The Village Workshop.

This is also my first closed end pen. Been wanting to do one for a long time. Purchased a closed end mandrel months ago. Figured now was as good a time as any.

I think this pen would look good with an appropriate stand on a desk. Hope to do a stand soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6249a-web.jpg
    IMG_6249a-web.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6248a-web.jpg
    IMG_6248a-web.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6253a-web.jpg
    IMG_6253a-web.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 142

EBorraga

In Memoriam
All the pens look great. Also the particpation has been really good. I think having no rule this year, other than a casing, has helped get the involvement up. But every good thing must come to an end. That will be in 4 hours and 40 minutes from now.

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
one more .. .308 with cross hatched

Attachments

• 3081.jpg
    3081.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 3082.jpg
    3082.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 127

65GTMustang

OK DOWN TO THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS BUT IT MADE IT...LOL

I have titled this piece.
"HARD DAY AT THE OFFICE"
It is a Desk Set for Bullet Pens – Make Believe Target Practice Right at Your Desk…LOL

I need to explain my thought process as briefly as I can.
FIRST - All of the PR casings are mine - they are also very special as they are my first attempt at HOLOGRAPHIC casting. These were A LOT of fun, I little different from regular colors but well worth the extra trouble
I tried my best to take really nice pictures - however I am afraid that regardless of the pictures being flawless you will not see the effect of the Hologram in the casting.
To look at these in the light (pure sunlight is best of course) they seem to never stop moving - INCREDIBLE!!!! To say the least.
SECOND - I have the thought of trying to find a "Real" 45 Revolver Cylinder for this project. After several days of looking in my local area I can up empty - Which in the end I am glad I did. I was able to make one from Cocobolo Wood with a Smoky Quartz enter pin (another PR casting that resembles the look of smoky quartz)
THIRD - The pens were complete and I was working on the Cocobolo Cylinder - I was trying to figure out if I should use my "normal" Australian Mallee Burl base - A burl I use often for bases - or if I had something a little my unique looking.
It was the perfect marriage - One of those times when you are working in your shop and without too much thought you seem to find a piece of wood that is 100% perfect to fit your needs.
So began the FOURTH stage of my Casing Contest Project - I great looking piece of Buckeye Burl was taken in hand and carved slightly to make for the perfect base to fit my project.

Sorry to be so long winded here.
Basically everything you see in this piece is completely handmade - All of the Poly Resin Casting, Pen turning and carving were completed by hand.

As for the Casing Contest the desk top holder may not be just what makes the grade - or on the other hand perhaps I can get some bonus points for it....LOL
Look deeply into the photos that show the hologram pens castings - they truly are amazing.
Eaach of the 6 castings contianed 3 main colors, from left the tight you can follow along to see that two colors remain the same to each other while a third is exchanged with a different color. This can be followed by viewing the pens from left to right in the photos pictured in the pen stands.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE - I have had a great time putting this one together
Kevin

PENS IN BLOCK 3.jpg PENS IN BLOCK 2.jpg PENS IN BLOCK 1.jpg CYLINDER ONLY 1.jpg

INSIDE CYLINDER 1.jpg BASE ONLY 1.jpg BASE ONLY 2.jpg ALL PENS HOLDER BACKGROUND1.jpg

ALL PENS HOLDER BACKGROUND2.jpg ALL PENS HOLDER CLOSE UP 1.jpg TOPS CLOSE UP 1.jpg TOPS CLOSE UP 2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom