2011 Casing Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks elegant Terry. I'd probably guess that's warthog ivory as well.

Thanks Ernie, its Giraffe bone :)

You crack me up. I guess being across the world where giraffe's live is pretty easy getting those pieces. I can see myself asking the guy at the zoo. Hey dude, you got any giraffe bone laying around. I swear I only wanna make a pen out of it.:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I decided to NOT be defeated. :tongue: So, here is my entry. It is also my first project on my metal lathe. :biggrin:

Well that's a pretty good start with the lathe. I like the way you incorporated the cigar clip into it.
Thanks Ernie! I was going to hide the ring but, instead went with the bling :biggrin: I should be a song writer:laugh:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I decided to NOT be defeated. :tongue: So, here is my entry. It is also my first project on my metal lathe. :biggrin:

Well that's a pretty good start with the lathe. I like the way you incorporated the cigar clip into it.
Thanks Ernie! I was going to hide the ring but, instead went with the bling :biggrin: I should be a song writer:laugh:

I just walked in, to see what condition my condition was in:wink:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Giraffe Bone

Darn it!!! I found a dead Giraffe out here on the west side of Indianapolis, yesterday, (road kill-they're all over the place this time of year:wink:) and I didn't even think about making a pen out of his bones!!! :rolleyes::eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Looks elegant Terry. I'd probably guess that's warthog ivory as well.

Thanks Ernie, its Giraffe bone :)

terryf

greggas

Don't try to take this pen through airport security.
View attachment 56019

It's made from a 338 WinMag shellcase, 338 caliber solid copper bullet, a fired (but undimpled primer), and real gunpowder. The parker-style refill extends with a twist of the bullet, which also unscrews for replacement. The belted case-head is one piece -- the clip extends through a slot cut in the brass.

I hope you like it,
Eric

Eric

Great Job......love the look of this pen...and you certainly win the courage award....nice job

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Good one mate, you're off to a good start.

BTW disks are in the mail (no cheque though!:biggrin:)
Thank you Fred. Always glad to meet your approval. Looking forward to the info on the disks. I suppose I'll get by without the cheque :biggrin:

BigShed

Thought I'd better participate as well.

Recently bought a jaw type knurling tool and am having a lot of fun playing with it.

This is a .30-06 bottom part, with 2 .308 primer ends and some knurled aluminium which has been turned down slightly to only leave the diagonal line pattern.

IMG_3034.jpg

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thought I'd better participate as well.

Recently bought a jaw type knurling tool and am having a lot of fun playing with it.

This is a .30-06 bottom part, with 2 .308 primer ends and some knurled aluminium which has been turned down slightly to only leave the diagonal line pattern.

View attachment 56164
Shut the front door!!!:eek: That's a beauty Fred! I may have to invest in more stock. :redface:

MarkD

My entry

Here is my entry for the random drawing!
The lower barrel is a 30.06 casing fitted with a bullet.
The upper barrel is made from two 30.06 casings and is fitted with a hidden clip.

Last edited:

Curly

It kind of looks like a stubby pencil, but it isn't!

This is my Fountain Pen made with El Toro parts, Curly Western Maple, Crotch Black Walnut for the cap, and a 105 MM Howitzer Casing. Finish is about a half dozen coats of General Finishes Enduro-Var, Water Based Urethane, sanded to 600 and buffed with all 3 stages of the Beall set.

It measures 19 1/4 " long when capped. The casing was cut down when I got it or it would be longer. :)

Go big or go home! :eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P7230001.jpg
    P7230001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 455
  • P7230005.jpg
    P7230005.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 461
  • P7230008.jpg
    P7230008.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 452
  • P7230011.jpg
    P7230011.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 419
  • P7230014.jpg
    P7230014.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Some amazing pens guys. How much does that Howitzer weigh?? You'd look like Arnold after writing all day with that thing:)

Curly

That is an awesome pen although somehow I have a sneaky suspicion it would not make it through airport security

Anyone big enough to carry the pen in their shirt pocket will not be hassled by anyone, anywhere, at any time. :rolleyes:

WHAT....no clip? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Laws here do not allow high capacity clips, and I thought a little 10 shot clip would look silly. :tongue:

Some amazing pens guys. How much does that Howitzer weigh?? You'd look like Arnold after writing all day with that thing:)

It weighs 2860 grams (6.3 pounds). Admittedly not the pen normally selected to write a novel with, unless they happen to be a loader in an artillery battery. :wink:

Bellsy

This is my Fountain Pen made with El Toro parts, Curly Western Maple, Crotch Black Walnut for the cap, and a 105 MM Howitzer Casing. Finish is about a half dozen coats of General Finishes Enduro-Var, Water Based Urethane, sanded to 600 and buffed with all 3 stages of the Beall set.

It measures 19 1/4 " long when capped. The casing was cut down when I got it or it would be longer. :)

Go big or go home! :eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Made in Canada....sweet!

Dave

BigShed

Another one for good measure

I thought I might put up another pen for the contest, this one a little more conventional.

IMG_2692.jpg

Bottom part is .308, top part is a 308 casing in 2 parts, together with a nice piece of Cherry Burl.

IMG_2689.jpg

seamus7227

I told a few people on here thru a text earlier that i was gonna post my pic tonight, unfortunately its late and I gotta get to bed, so it looks like I'm gonna have to wait til tomorrow. Some people got to have a sneak peek!

seamus7227

Princess Tru-Shell Pink Texas Flag

I was a little unsure of my submission pen for this year's contest for lack of new ideas until this one came to mind! This pen signifies a few things for me:

First, our Rifle shell pens always seem to cater to the men on here, so I thought it was time to offer up something to the ladies! Several things do that, starting with the upper barrel of the Princess pen kit and its sexy bling that it has to offer. However, I stretched this barrel a little longer to accommodate the flag and quarter design and to balance the pen better.
Second, I'm all about breast cancer awareness and thought the Pink Texas Flag could represent that along with the Swarovski crystals that adorne the centerband and clip. In my mind, I envision the 280 rifle shell representing strength and power and the flag/quarter to signify unity among all who have been directly affected by it.

I soldered the lower barrel of the Princess pen kit in to the rifle shell once drilling was complete. Pressed in the center coupler and made the necessary adjustments for the retraction of the ink refill.

I truly hope this can be an inspiration to all.

boxerman

Wow Seamus that's one awesome pen. You ought to win with that one. Am really impressed with your quarter blanks. Love to have one.

firewhatfire

It is craftsman such as yourself and others on here that make me strive to make something worth looking at. It seems I have quite a ways to go. looks great

Phil

Brooks803

That is awesome Seamus! It looked good in my sneak peak, but man it's SO much better that I'd originally thought! Glad you were able to get it finished before the deadline, mine's not looking too hot at the moment.

seamus7227

That is awesome Seamus! It looked good in my sneak peak, but man it's SO much better that I'd originally thought! Glad you were able to get it finished before the deadline, mine's not looking too hot at the moment.

hey, dont be discouraged, you still have plenty of time. You should have seen the way I had to make the modifications to the upper barrel of this thing. At one point I thought it wouldnt work, but I took a deep breath and crossed my fingers:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Excuse me!!:mad: I believe I asked someone to SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Now, Seamus has posted a pen that I could never match up with.:redface: Very nicely engineered Seamus! I appreciate the cause as well. :wink:

seamus7227

Excuse me!!:mad: I believe I asked someone to SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Now, Seamus has posted a pen that I could never match up with.:redface: Very nicely engineered Seamus! I appreciate the cause as well. :wink:

Easy now, Easy, I wouldnt go that far with it:rolleyes:, but thanks for the compliments. :biggrin: Thats a cause that means a lot to me personally.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Well Chuck i've seen your work first hand. I do believe you have the talent and time to compete with the big dogs, especially now that you have a metal lathe and a very good mentor:biggrin:.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
My brain is on overload right now. The contest ends the last day of JULY at midnight eastern standard time. Not sure on the date and don't have a calender close by.

Top Bottom