2009 Liars Club Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Sorry it took me so long to arrive but I'm here! I have listed below the rules and everything from last years contest. If there is anything anyone would like to see changed or added to, please let me know and we will give it a shot. I'm open for ideas. My wife and daughter and I were trying to think of something to give it a twist from last year. I'm not sure if we want to run it for 2 weeks or 1 week this year. Before the contest starts we will need to know of how many prizes and what they will be as well. Anyway, glad to be part of this again this year, now.....................LET'S PARTY!!!!!!!

Liars Club Contest

Objective:
In this contest, each entrant is expected to submit a "short story" that is the tallest tale or outright lie that concerns handmade pens and/or penturning. It can be a personal experience with a big made up twist to it or it can be anything that comes to mind. But all stories have to be YOUR Original work. It cannot be a story you read on the internet, in a magazine or saw in any other publication. All entries will be submitted to the following e-mail address (pensite@roadrunner.com) and after the contest ends, all entries will be posted in this thread for everyone to see and the winners will be announced here as well. The entrants will remain anonymous until after the contest. The Liars Club Meister will be the only one to know who the entrants are. Please keep them clean as this is a family site. The main objective in this contest is to HAVE FUN!

Rules:
· Must be original work. (i.e. not from an internet story or any story that has been posted by someone else in any publication.)
· Must not be the TRUTH!
· The story should be between 250 to 350 words.
· One entry per member
· Please list your name, IAP screen name and mailing address with your entry. Put "Liars Club Contest" in the subject box of the e-mail.
· Contest will begin 12:01am EST on Tuesday February 3, 2009
· All entries must be submitted by 12:00am EST on Sunday February 21, 2009
· The judge's decision will be final
· The 3 judges will be chosen at random. The identity of the judges will not be revealed.

Prizes:
There will be three prizes for this, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. They will be announced on February 24, 2009. And they will be pretty good prizes, so really use your imagination!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mark,

That looks great to me. Andrew (Maxwell smart007) is going to be coordinating prizes.

I will make a post with the Bash Calendar I have time frames on it.

melogic

I had a maximum of 4 paragraphs last year and not too many people followed that rule. I will put it back in and just enforce the rules a little more this year.

fiferb

I only bring it up as something to think about, not as a requirement. You may want to query the judges to get their opinions since they're the ones that will have to read them all.

Scott

Hi Mark,

Looks good to me! I don't think a four paragraph limit is unreasonable. It presents a challenge to write a better story keeping to the shorter length. The only question I can see arising is the definition of a paragraph. There is a newspaper up where we have our cabin, and the editor of the paper has a column he writes as one paragraph, and sometimes it runs a page and a half! If you want a specific limit, set it using a maximum number of words. Most word processors have a word-count feature. Hey Al, what kind of word-count limit would run a normal four paragraphs?

Also, at some point we need to discuss whether members of the Bash crew can be allowed to enter contests they are not personally administering. The reason I bring this up here is because I'd love to enter this contest! ;-)

Scott.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
This contest was great fun last year - I won third prize, I think! As long as the judges chosen are not of the managerial membership, I don't see much problem with Scott entering...but I'll submit to the will of the majority here...

I think 1 paragraph is going to be way too short to get any coherent story. If you're looking for a tale or yarn, then it has to be at least three paragraphs, I'd daresay. I agree that you need to set the length-standards via word-count rather than paragraphs; else someone will just use semicolons to prolong their story! :wink:

If you're looking for a maximum of four paragraphs, I'd suggest a 250 word limit...a page of typewritten text is generally 200-250 words, so that'll be roughly close to four good paragraphs. Mind you, I've always hated setting a length MAXIMUM requirement on submissions for any of my assignments - if people want to go the extra mile to write more, I will put in the time to read them; mind you, I'm not a judge in this case, so it's not me that has to put the extra time in to read them.

How about 200 words +/- 100 or so?

melogic

After I posted the paragraph limit last night, I thought of a word limit as well. I was going through some of my daughters class work for school and her pages are generally 354 on her pages. I did a word count on The Liars Club rules and regulations in MSword, and it shows it as being 300 words, as it is posted above. What do you guys think would be a good limit?

Also, I think as long as they are not directly involved (a judge or event coordinator) let them participate. I am really looking forward to this again.

Should I just ask within our group of the Bash crew for judges? I can't remember how I did it last year. I think I just asked within the Bash Crew for 3 judges that were not participating.

Last edited:

DocStram

Scott .... I'm not certain how many words per paragraph .. but, I like Andrew's idea about 250 overall.

Mark ..... I've been trying to think of a different twist as well. So far, I haven't come up with anything.

BTW .... if you guys are planning on entering the Liar's Club Contest ... you better come up with something really good. We have some dang good writers around here ... especially North of the border. :biggrin::biggrin:

melogic

Dion (dntrost), I will keep your name as one of the judges. If you change your mind and want to enter, be my guest I will find somone else. Thanks.

Everyone else, I think I will put it in the rules for the length to be somewhere between 250 to 350 words. We still have plenty of time to change this if we need to. Thanks.

DocStram

I don't know about Canadians, but those Georgians can write up a storm, I daresay...I'm looking forward to seeing a Maconian in the winner's circle this year!

Andrew

I'm hoping to see a Maconian winner as well. As a matter of fact, I'm already drafting my story ... it's about a guy named Seigmiller Harbisher. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you need judges, I would volunteer. But, I might be a little out of the ordinary sense of humor. May not be fair to the younger guys who don't know about 8 mm film and 8 track tapes.

melogic

Ok, so far I have Dion (dntrost) and Ed (ed4copies) as Judges. Thanks I really appreciate this. If either one of you changes your mind and want to enter, just please let me know, you will not hurt my feelings. I may cry for a night or two, but I will be ok.
And if anyone else wants to be a judge for this contest, just let me know I only need one more.

Scott

Hey Ed!

You can be a judge for my Ugly Pen Contest! I have confidence you know about Ugly Pens, don't you?

Scott.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, Scott. I think I will be in REHAB!!!
My EGO is CRUSHED!

(Seriously, I'd be happy to help, if you need a "volunteer")

melogic

Sorry about that Ed. At least you were not un-employed long. Scott should be ready for you by the time you get out of rehab. Just send Cav the bill since he started this.

Top Bottom