Ok... Just what is the Newbie pen contest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lee,

I will attach my ideas to this post. They are in no way binding on you; they are a hopeful starting point. If you agree to do this, you will announce the contest and the rules of it. The judging is up to you. It can be done by you and judges of your choosing, or it can be by forum voting.

Newbie Pen

Pen must be turned by a member with less than 6 months of penturning experience. (Honor system)
Pen must be the original work of the person submitting the pen.
Pen cannot have been shown on the IAP before.
Pen will be judged on fit, finish, and photographic presentation.

Prize – donated items. First, second and third prizes.

dntrost

I would think 12 months experience would probably draw more entries...
Not sure the reason for not shown on IAP
All else looks good...
Again just my opinion it is up to you to make the rules...

DocStram

Another way we could do this is say that it's a Newbie IAP Penturning Contest. Another words, it's not how long you've been turning pens but how long you've been a member of IAP. Only those members having joined in the last six months (or 12 months) are eligible.

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into this ... it's just an idea.

Cav and I will be glad to go along with whatever Lee decides.

DocStram

Yes, Lee, it is your call.

Yeah, Lee .... it's your call!! Cav and I will totally support you knowing full well that you are capable of making solid, rationale decisions. On the other hand, if the Liars Club Contest turns out to be a flop because of some stupid decision that you made ... well then ..... we'll both disavow any knowledge of your plans. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Yeah, Lee .... it's your call!! Cav and I will totally support you knowing full well that you are capable of making solid, rationale decisions. On the other hand, if the Liars Club Contest turns out to be a flop because of some stupid decision that you made ... well then ..... we'll both disavow any knowledge of your plans. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Al, you forgot to mention that this post will self destruct in 5 sec......

Damn I need to type faster!

fiferb

Another way we could do this is say that it's a Newbie IAP Penturning Contest. Another words, it's not how long you've been turning pens but how long you've been a member of IAP. Only those members having joined in the last six months (or 12 months) are eligible.

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into this ... it's just an idea.

Cav and I will be glad to go along with whatever Lee decides.

I have to disagree with Al. I think a newbie penturner is one that recently started turning pens. I've seen some newbies to IAP that are making pens far beyond the capability of some longtime members, especially me. If I was a newbie turner I would not want to join this competition and be against people that have turned pens for a long time but only recently joined IAP.

DocStram

I have to disagree with Al. I think a newbie penturner is one that recently started turning pens. I've seen some newbies to IAP that are making pens far beyond the capability of some longtime members, especially me. If I was a newbie turner I would not want to join this competition and be against people that have turned pens for a long time but only recently joined IAP.

Yeah ... I agree with my friend Bruce! :eek: Scratch my earlier suggestion about membership being the key.

Now let's decide on how many months or pen makes a newbie.

Let's hear your ideas! :biggrin::biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have the contest once a year. So, if you have started making pens in the last year, you are eligible this year. IF you were in last year's contest, then, by definition, you are not a "newbie". This way, all new penmakers will know they are not competing against "Last year's runner-up".

Also just a thought. Whatever Lee decides, I will pick on him mercilessly.

(I mean, I will agree, of course!)

Firefyter-emt

So this IS a new contest then, right? I thought I was going nuts!

I am going to make it anyone who started turning in 2009.

I figure this way I don't have as much work to do. ;-)

kidding....

keithkarl2007

some members could have been turning pens for years before joining the IAP, they could also have been a member on another forum. There are a couple of newbies on here who haven't even got a lathe yet and are asking what they need to start

DocStram

Soooooo ... do we want to define newbies as "people who began turning pens in 2008" or as "people who began turning pens in 2009"?

Or .... "Canadians of Swedish descent celebrating their 30th birthday in September and getting married in August"?

melogic

I think, members that started turning pens in 2008 and did not enter any pens in any of last years Birthday Bash events.
This way, if someone participated in the Daily Trivia contest or any of the other contests that did not involve the making of a pen for judging can enter.

DocStram

I think, members that started turning pens in 2008 and did not enter any pens in any of last years Birthday Bash events.
This way, if someone participated in the Daily Trivia contest or any of the other contests that did not involve the making of a pen for judging can enter.

I think that makes a whole lot of sense.

davinci27

Just a quick thought I had. What about having the entrant specify how long they have been turning pens or how many pens they've turned, or both. When you post all the entries you can show those details as well.

Ben

Top Bottom