2007 Prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a list of everything. Post a reply with additional ones and I'll edit this post to include them. I'll list the donor in () otherwise it's a purchased item. If you don't tell me specifically what contest the prize is for, I'll just put it somewhere and we can move if necessary.

Donation Drawing:

1st: Jet Variable Speed Mini Lathe ($340 value)
2nd: Beall Collet Chuck, 2 collets, live center, 2 mandrels
3rd: Limited edition Emperor kit ($150 value)
4th: Beall Buffing System ($90 value)
5th: CSUSA Imperial Roller Ball Kit ($50 value)

Trivia Contest: Sponsored entirely by Klingspor

Every week in January</u>
Sun 1 lb gold sandpaper
Mon 1 lb abrasive blocks
Tues 5 pack of 9x11 sheets
Wed 4 in 1 pocket screwdriver
Thurs Mini Level Key Chain
Fri Bargain Box of Kling-on Rolls
Sat Bargain Box of Adhesive Rolls

Ugly Pen Contest:

Worst looking normal pen 1st: </u>
$25 Gift certificate for Manny's CA
Book: Learn to Turn by Barry Gross

Worst looking normal pen 2nd:</u>
DVD: Closed End Pens by Ed Davidson

Most technically advanced ugly pen 1st:</u>
$25 Gift Certificate from Woodturningz
Book: The Pen Turners Workbook 2nd ed. by Barry gross

Most technically advanced ugly pen 2nd:</u>

Most disgusting pen 1st:</u>
$25 Gift Certificate from Woodturningz (10+15)
Book: Turning Pens and Pencils by Christensen & Burningham

Most disgusting pen 2nd:</u>

Most unusual material 1st</u>:
20lb Bargain Box Klingspor Sandpaper
10 CSUSA Tactile European pens

Most unusual material 2nd:</u>
DVD: Basic Pen Turning with Bill Baumbeck

Just butt ugly pen 1st:</u>
20lb Bargain Box Klingspor Sandpaper
10 Chrome cigar pen kits

Just butt ugly pen 2nd:</u>
DVD: Basic Pen Turning with Bill Baumbeck

Slimline Contest:

Best normal slimline 1st:</u>
$100 Gift Certificate to Beartooth Woods

Best normal slimline 2nd:</u>
10 Rhodium Slimline pens ($65 value)

Best modified slimline 1st:</u>
$100 Gift Certificate to Beartooth Woods

Best modified slimline 2nd:</u>
10 Tactile European Pens ($50 value)

Most modified slimline 1st:</u>
Paul Huffman vise ($80 value)

Most modified slimline 2nd:</u>
25 Chrome slimline pen kits ($50 value)

ilikewood

Mark has some for the Trivia Contest.

2 10 blank of Cocobolo from Mark

A variety pack of blanks from Scott

3 Variety packs from me (4 blanks each)

1 Cocobolo 10 pack from me

Scott

Where do I start? :D

Craft Supplies has donated:

1 Limited Edition Emperor pen
1 Imperial Roller ball pen
10 Tactile European pens
10 Rhodium Slimline pens
15 gift certificates ($10.00 each)

I thought the two expensive kits would go to the raffle, the 10 tactile Euro's to the Ugly Pen Contest, the 10 rhodium slimlines to the slimline contest, and the 15 gift certificates to the trivia contest.

Then Ryan at Woodturningz has donated a $10, $15, and a $25 gift certificates.

Mannie, who runs the CA buy, has donated a $25 certificate.

Those are the only companies I have responses from so far.

I do have a number of individuals who have offered prizes, and I will be pulling them together tonight and tomorrow.

Scott.

gerryr

I just got a reply from Ernie at Beartooth Woods. He's committed to two (2) $100 gift certificates. He also said he would donate some kits, but doesn't know what yet.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'll get all this in the first post over the next day. I am using a tablet pc that is a pain to cut and paste.

Scott

Well, I finally heard back from Klingspor, and they would like to sponsor the Daily Trivia Contest, and have offered enough prizes for one each day of the contest for the entire month! They have also offered two of their 20lb bargain boxes of fine sandpaper for the other contests. Here is what they suggest:

"Also, we are willing to give a gift each day for the month of January. Here is what she proposes as a prize:

Sun 1 lb gold sandpaper
Mon 1 lb abrasive blocks
Tues 5 pack of 9x11 sheets
Wed 4 in 1 pocket screwdriver
Thurs Mini Level Key Chain
Fri Bargain Box of Kling-on Rolls
Sat Bargain Box of Adhesive Rolls

These would be the prizes for those days for the month."

Because of this committment of prizes we would want to mention them in the name of the contest. Not bad!

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
That's great! I'll find a nice way to highlight their sponsorship of the entire contest. That gives us more prizes to use elsewhere.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I've just updated the prize list. I did not yet assign the CSUSA $10 certificates. Scott suggested the trivia contest, but since Klingspor is sponsoring that, we can use them elsewhere. How about 5 for slimline, 5 for ugly, and 5 for the drawing?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I did not put in the prizes from Mark, Bill, Gerry. Where do you all want them?

Also, if the donations hit $1500 I'm going to add a complete Wolverine system (basic jig, skew jig , varigrind jig), if it goes another $1000 I'll add another lathe. If it goes even another $1000 we'll figure out something else!

mewell

Jeff - The ones from Bill and I were for the trivia contest... They could be an additional prize on weekends if there are not enough donated prizes for 2 everyday unless you think that the Klingspor "stuff" is enough and we should let them be the only prize. As far as I'm concerned my donations can be used where ever they'll do the most good but I can't speak for Bill and Scott.

I haven't seen an announcement r.e. raffle tickets yet - will we(you?) be doing that?

Mark

Scott

Sorry about the delay! Here are some more offers of prizes that have come in:

From Eagle (ctEaglesc) - I plan on donating a couple of things for a raffle.
One is to be a gold casing /antler ready to turn with a Parker refill, complete with bushings.
The other is a "pig in a poke blank"
The blank will be covered in string and ca.

From (airrat) - I can donate 5 blanks and a kit. Most likely throw in extras with it.

From Becca (wudnhed) â€"
1 Olympia pen kit
2 spalted box elder
2 iroko
2 purpleheart
1 koa
1 yellowheart
1 mango
1 oak
2 paduak
1 cedar
1 acrylester (red white blue)

From Bob Ireland (bobskio2003) - I'd be happy to donate a flat rate envelope full of rarely seen woods (as much as I can stuff in there) as a prize.

From (clewless) - I'll donate a pair of Mageyes.

From Bob Younghusband (byounghusband) - some Fountain Pen Cartridges from Lou. The package will include a few assorted pen blanks out of my stash as well. I will pick up shipping and the $$ goes to this group.

From Lou (dcbluesman)- Additionally, count on my for a "gift pack". I don't know what it will be yet, but I'm sure I can have something fun to giveaway.

From Roy Robaldo (OKLAHOMAN) - I recently traded Paul a radail Arm saw for one of his vises and some other stuff, I already have one of his vises and told him I will donate it for either an IPA benifit auction or raffle..If he gets it to me in time for the 3rd Ann. bash do you think that will be a good time?

Note, Eagle may have some stipulations about his donations - I've sent it on to Jeff to see what he says. I may have some other offers on their way in. And I have made lots of contacts with companies for prizes, and many have not gotten back with me yet (but then a lot of companies have been scarce over the holidays!).

Scott.

Scott

About using the Klingspor prizes as the only prizes for the trivia, I think we have room to award additional prizes that are donated by IAP members. A lot of people will want to get in on donating a few blanks once they see what we are up to. At least I think they will!

Scott.

gerryr

I need another prize for the SL contest that's approximately equal to the gift certificate from Ernie, since I have two categories. Are there any more PHD vises hiding somewhere?:D

Scott

Hi Gerry,

I have some feelers out to some suppliers that might bring in some pretty respectable prizes. But I probably won't know until later in the week!

Scott.

Scott

Here are some more prizes I just got in today:

From Kelvin Kendall (Kelvin) â€" three lots of blanks, with at least fifteen blanks per lot!

From (Papadan) - I will donate a box of pen blanks. Purple heart, Yellow heart, Walnut, Bubinga, Padouk, Mahogany. As many as will fit in a flat rate box.

Jeff and Gerry - Unless you really want some of these offers of blanks like this, I think they could all go to Daily Trivia winners. What do you think?

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I agree on adding the other non-vendor prizes to the trivia contest. I would like to list them, so I'll edit the first post to reflect that.

I'm going to post this list of prizes today... look OK?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by gerryr

I need another prize for the SL contest that's approximately equal to the gift certificate from Ernie, since I have two categories. Are there any more PHD vises hiding somewhere?:D
I'll remove the vise from the donation drawing and replace it with a Beall buffing system.

Gerry, you can have it for the slimline contest. Don't you need 3 prizes? No more vises hiding :(

gerryr

Thanks for the vise. I don't see the "Most Modified" as a separate category, so I'm not sure the prize needs to be as big the first two. Anybody have any comments about that?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
From Bill Baumbeck at AZ Sil.

Book "Lean To Turn" by Barry Gross
Book "The Pen Turners Workbook, Second Edition" by Barry Gross
Book "Turning Pen and Pencils" by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham
DVD "Closed End Pens" by Ed Davidson (five DVD's)
DVD "Basic Pen Turning with Bill Baumbeck" (five DVD's)
Pen kits 1 package of 25 BHW-010 24k gold slimline ballpoint pens
Pen kits 1 package of 25 BHW-185 chrome slimline ballpoint pens
Pen kits 1 package of 10 BHW-090 upgrade gold cigar pens
Pen kits 1 package of 10 BHW-091 chrome cigar pens

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I made big changes to the prize lists for the ugly pen and slimline contests now that I know what the categories are. I also incorporated some prizes from Bill Baumbeck.

Please take a look and let me know if I can publish those prize lists!</u>

I'll spread the other smaller prizes from vendors and the gifts from members around in the contests as time permits.

Thanks

Scott

I finally ran across those other offers from members that I kept mentioning. Here they are:

Doghouse - 3 dymondwood stopper blanks and a bowl blank.

Low48 - Flat-rate box of blanks.

RonMc - Some Blanks.

Dario - 20 blanks.

BigRob777 - Blanks.

OK, I know that some of these are kind of - uh - non-specific, but I'll E-Mail them and see if we can get more specific.

Jeff, I didn't see your updated prize list. I think it would be funny to give some basic penmaking instruction, books or video, to winners of the Ugly Pen Contest! Maybe their pens won't be so ugly after that! [}:)]

Are we even close to having enough prizes for the Daily Trivia Contest yet? I mean, besides the Klingspor prizes?

Scott.

mewell

I know there were several "I'll donate this" but I wasn't sure if those were for the pen contests or the trivia. If Scott or Jeff would forward me the list I'll add it to the spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Mark

gerryr

I think I have enough prizes for the SL contest so the blanks can go to the trivia contest instead. Ernie at Beartooth Woods also said he would donate some kits, but needed to do an inventory first so it might be several days before I hear back. I'm also working on getting some Kauri donated from Ancient Woods Inc.

Scott

Yes, I think we will have enough "private donations" from IAP members to give one each day during the month. We just don't have them yet! [8D] But I am pretty sure that we can get enough committed to pull it off. It might help if you were to list the donor's name and prize when you announce the winner each day, to show that there are some blanks or whatever being awarded. More people will want to join in that action!

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
How are we delivering the Klingspor prizes? Providing them with the addresses?

Bill Baumbeck is shipping everything to me, then I'll reship that stuff. Perhaps Klingspor wants to do something similar. (Not to me though!) Same question for CSUSA.

Can we please start a master list of recipients here? Just to keep track... Bill & Mark, since you've started drawing winners, how about you start.

Now that I think of it, we could probably put that in the bash forum in public view.

mewell

I've already sent a note to Bill with the winner's names and respective prizes to post. Just FYI, clewless and kelvin are the first winners (via random number generation). Kelvin gets the Klingspore stuff, Joe gets a box of blanks from me. They have been notified, but I did ask Scott to contact Kelvin about how to get his prize and CC me so I'll know for the next one. I'm hoping that Klingspore will just send em out.

Mark

Top Bottom