2007 Prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mewell

Since I'm retired and Bill is not only working but has kids too, I'll step up to shipping the stuff out if Klingspore won't but, also like Bill, I can't pay for it too!

gerryr

Originally posted by ilikewood

I don't mind getting it and shipping it all out, EXCEPT I can't pay for it myself. My 4 teenage rodeo daughters have just about bled me dry.:(
Bill,
I can relate to that. Our son thought he was going to "grow up" to be a bull rider so we were going all over the place for him to ride steers. He finally got thrown from a junior bull and rightly decided that it wasn't a safe thing after all. But, if they're barrel racing you have to have at least four competitive horses plus a big trailer plus a whole lot of other stuff before you even get to the entry fees.

gerryr

Ok, here's my donation

Cherry Burl
Amboyna Burl
Desert Ironwood
Black Palm
Afzelia Xylay
Camphor Burl
Lace Sheoak
Spanish Olivewood
Curly Bubinga
Brazilian Redwood

Plus one set of Axis antler blanks for a Baron/Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesman

I'll pay the postage to the winner.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK, we'll let Klingspor send them out if they're willing. Otherwise one of you can do it and I'll reimburse you. Hopefully the small stuff could go in envelopes for a buck or so each.

mewell

Originally posted by gerryr

Ok, here's my donation

Cherry Burl
Amboyna Burl
Desert Ironwood
Black Palm
Afzelia Xylay
Camphor Burl
Lace Sheoak
Spanish Olivewood
Curly Bubinga
Brazilian Redwood

Plus one set of Axis antler blanks for a Baron/Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesman

I'll pay the postage to the winner.

Gerry - Is this two lots? Wood in one, antler in another?

mewell

I've sent a note to jeff19 and bigrob777 asking them to donate some blanks to the Trivia pool.

I know that others like Dario, etc mentioned in an earlier posting are donating prizes. Would it be appropiate for me to go thru the classified sections and see who's sold alot here and ask them directly too?

Also, after waking up at oh-dark-thirty this morning, I think we should have a separate topic in the Birthday Bash area for winners. Something like "And the winners are..."

Thoughts?

mewell

Should this be sticky too to make it towards the top? We can post winners from all the various contests as they are announced or make separate "winners" topics for each contest?

gerryr

Sounds good to me. I would probably favor a single topic for announcing winners, otherwise we will have 4 more stickies in there.

Scott

Originally posted by Scott

I finally ran across those other offers from members that I kept mentioning. Here they are:

Doghouse - 3 dymondwood stopper blanks and a bowl blank.

Low48 - Flat-rate box of blanks.

RonMc - Some Blanks.

Dario - 20 blanks.

BigRob777 - Blanks.

Scott.

Hi Mark! I have heard from Big Rob and Dario (see above). These guys are really going all out for this! Rob says he'll go through and pick a great selection of blanks as his prize, so it should be listed as "A Sample Pack of Big Rob's Fabulous Blanks"! When Ron got back with me about his donation, I had to admit that I wanted to win his prize!!! Here's what he is donating: " http://www.woodpenblanks.com/ will donate 2 cross blanks, a variety pack (http://www.woodpenblanks.com/Variety Pack Pen Blanks.htm), and
1 of every stabilized blank we offer. (http://www.woodpenblanks.com/StabilizedPenBlanks.htm) I will fill the flat rate box with some surprise blanks that will surely please anyone! You never know what I may decide to throw in the box! ;)" Dario and Rich are also putting together some great sample packs! Then I heard form John (Doghouse), and it sounds like he is going to donate THREE of his prizes, made up of Dymondwood stopper blanks and a bowl blank!

So these guys are coming through for us! I also put in a mention for others to consider donating some packs of blanks for prizes, and that may result in some prizes as well!

Scott.

Scott

Oh, I forgot, I sent Mark and Bill a copy of my E-Mail to Pam Barden with Klingspor, with all my previous messages back and forth. She got back with me and said it would be fine if you guys were to just E-Mail her with the winners information and the other stuff she wanted, and they'll send out the prizes. Did you get that E-Mail?

Scott.

ilikewood

I can't check my mail until tonight. Mark is handling the prizes for the Trivia (big job), so all I have to do is sort e-mails (no small task).[8D]

Scott

We just heard from Anthony (Penworks) and he is donating one of his gold nibs for a Baron as one prize, and two badger hair shave brush heads, a 24mm and a 30mm, as another prize! Thanks Anthony!

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd prefer to use Anthony's for the donation drawing. The nib is worth $45 and the brushes $40 which is too valuable for a daily trivia prize in my opinion. If you want to split the brushes into two prizes that's ok for trivia!

mewell

OK - I've already sent the emails [V] but that doesn't mean we have to do it that way. Ron's donation of "every stabilized blank", etc., would be up there too.

mewell

Originally posted by Scott

Sorry about the delay! Here are some more offers of prizes that have come in:

From Eagle (ctEaglesc) - I plan on donating a couple of things for a raffle.
One is to be a gold casing /antler ready to turn with a Parker refill, complete with bushings.
The other is a "pig in a poke blank"
The blank will be covered in string and ca.

From (airrat) - I can donate 5 blanks and a kit. Most likely throw in extras with it.

From Becca (wudnhed) â€"
1 Olympia pen kit
2 spalted box elder
2 iroko
2 purpleheart
1 koa
1 yellowheart
1 mango
1 oak
2 paduak
1 cedar
1 acrylester (red white blue)

From Bob Ireland (bobskio2003) - I'd be happy to donate a flat rate envelope full of rarely seen woods (as much as I can stuff in there) as a prize.

From (clewless) - I'll donate a pair of Mageyes.

From Bob Younghusband (byounghusband) - some Fountain Pen Cartridges from Lou. The package will include a few assorted pen blanks out of my stash as well. I will pick up shipping and the $$ goes to this group.

From Lou (dcbluesman)- Additionally, count on my for a "gift pack". I don't know what it will be yet, but I'm sure I can have something fun to giveaway.

From Roy Robaldo (OKLAHOMAN) - I recently traded Paul a radail Arm saw for one of his vises and some other stuff, I already have one of his vises and told him I will donate it for either an IPA benifit auction or raffle..If he gets it to me in time for the 3rd Ann. bash do you think that will be a good time?

Note, Eagle may have some stipulations about his donations - I've sent it on to Jeff to see what he says. I may have some other offers on their way in. And I have made lots of contacts with companies for prizes, and many have not gotten back with me yet (but then a lot of companies have been scarce over the holidays!).

Scott.

Where does all this stand?

Scott

Hi Mark!

Alice is donating some Corian? That is cool! She is a gem!

As for the prizes mentioned in that post you quoted above, the only one that will not come through is Eagle's, and his is because he got himself banned from the site again. So no Eagleized blanks!

The rest can be counted on. I think the mag-eyes and the "Paul" vise maybe should go to either the drawing or one of the other contests, but everything else could be used for the Trivia contest. Bob says the ink cartridges are Private Reserve Velvet Black, which is primo ink!

You can see about splitting up some of the prizes if you want, but if you need more prizes, I will get you more. You should be well along in populating your spreadsheet with the member-donated prizes. If you can keep me appraised of how many more you need to fill it in, I'll get them for you! I don't mean to indicate that I want to be the only one soliciting prizes! Heck no! We should all be kind of asking around. I've got a friend in Boise who knows a guy who hoards burls for him, and he's going to let me know this weekend about some of that wood. He says he'll cut it up and send it as needed, but he doesn't know what's available yet. For that matter, out of my stash I could probably take care of the rest of the prizes myself, but I wouldn't want to pay the postage! ;)

mewell

Rich Coers (low_48) is donating 3 FL Envelopes of blanks.

Anthony Turchetta (penworks) has offered to split up the gold nib as one prize and 2 shave heads as another.

Elody sent the following:

Hi Mark, I was going to offer a Corian pen stand, the one that holds 8 pens. do you want to put that down for another day later? I have not made it yet. Let me know. Is 10 pieces too little? Instead do you want me to cut pieces to fit in the flat rate priority box that is about 11x13. With padding I can fit6 pieces approximately 11x13. That sounds like a much better prize. Let me know and I can start the stand and cutting the corian. Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr we could do all three! Alice

Jeff has offered the following:
I'll donate 1 flat rate envelope, 20 blanks, and shipping costs (global included) to the winner. Only caveat is the winner can choose up to 5 of the same blank type from what I have listed here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20654

For example:
5 Curly Walnut
5 Curly Eastern Red Cedar
5 Curly American Sycamore
5 Splated Curly American Sycamore

or

5 Curly Walnut
5 Curly Eastern Red Cedar
3 Splated Curly American Sycamore
2 Quarter sawn Sycamore
5 Spalted American Elm

Thoughts?

ilikewood

Mark, can we put the "high priced" gifts on weekends? I will make these questions much more challenging (they might have to do a bit of reseach to get the answer). I think it puts more value on the really nice ones.

So far, I have made the questions fairly easy or at least easy to look up. I am thinking about bumping up the questions difficutly as we procede down the month.

Any thoughts?

mewell

You bet - If maybe Jeff could look over the list (I know Scott is checking it out too) and give me some direction as to what they think is best I'll modify the spreadsheet .

Mark

mewell

Hope this works for everyone - Here's the latest I have for prizes for the trivia contest:

prizelistoc0.png

Still to go? Two from elody21, the $10 gift certs, and ????

Mark

Scott

Hi Guys!

Here's a message from Don Ward:

"I'll give a couple of sierra snake skin blanks for a prize for something during our birthday celebration. Just send me the winner and his/her address and I'll send the blanks out.
Having fun..
Don"

Pretty cool, huh? So, where would be the best place to use these? Right off the bat, I think they would be good in the Donation Drawing. But I've been thinking of adding another category for the Ugly Pen Contest, or maybe Gerry would like to add a Most Modified to the Slimline contest. We also have an offer of a contest from Darick (Chitswood), but I have yet to hear the details. ALSO, I have been toying of adding a contest for a more premium kit, such as Best Gent, or Best Emperor, or easier, Best Baron.

What do you think?

Scott.

Scott

Hi Mark,

In case you didn't see it over on the Penturning forum, I have four more people donating blanks:

I have melogic, Jim15, broiblat, and GaryMGg donating blanks for the Daily Trivia Contest!

I don't see where it has generated any more interest in the Slimline or Ugly Pen contests yet. Maybe I'll start another topic and drum up some interest! :D

OH! And I almost forgot, I got an E-Mail from Oneway today - they are donating a $50 gift certificate!!! I imagine that would be good in the donation drawing!

Scott.

mewell

Looks like our cup runneth over! Ron McIntire had offered twice what I thought he had... Not just one but two packages of assortments but also wanted to include one of every stabilized blank he offers(!). I've already cleared it with him to give the winner of the 14th Trivia Contest just a assortment pack (plus "whatever falls in the package"). He still wants to give another assortment but TWO of every stabilized blank he offers as one prize lot. I think this is well over the "usual" Trivia prize and should be picked up as a donation prize. Here is a picture of what he is offering to give:

prizepackokn1.jpg

I have also told Bill Jacob that he may withdraw one of the 3 assortments he has slated to give away and we are now set for all the days in the Trivia Contest. If anyone wants to see the list I'll re-post the spreadsheet picture so you may see how things have settled out.

Mark

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I will get off my ass and post Ron's blanks in the donation drawing topic tomorrow. I also have some cactus blanks I purchased from Curtis and a nice DVD from a UK turner named Paul Loseby.

I have been so swamped by this Eagle crap and dozens of related emails that it (a) takes up my available time and (b) kills enthusiasm for sitting here working on the site.

mewell

Jeff - I can't imagine why you'd be feeling burned out:D

I was wondering how long the aforementioned bird poop was going to go on (and on and on).

Keep up to good work!
Mark

Scott

I finally heard back from Glaser/Hitec, and here is what they're donating:

3 â€" 3/8†miniG oval bowl gouges

3 â€" miniG spindle gouges

5 â€" signed jerry glaser posters

2 â€" 7/16 glaser Hitec oval bowl gouges.

That's quite a nice set of prizes from the makers of some of the best turning tools on the market!

As far as I know, this is it - I have no more irons in the fire. I think Jeff had some more items he was going to include in the Donation Drawing. All-in-all, I think we did real well for prizes!

Scott.

Top Bottom