The PITH is on!!!! Sign up here!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

Here we gooooooo!!!!!

Last night I looked around in my shop for some scrap pine.
Nope nada

Looked in the firewood pile... (wait i live in Southern California its 92 degree right now I don't have a firewood pile.

Curse you Landon

Off to Home Depot But wait Rockler is on the way. I know I know nothing high end or unique can't break the rules already.

The guy at the rockler store actually laughed out loud when I told him I was looking for a pine pen blank.

Had he never heard of Huon pine? Or 300 year old reclaimed long leaf pine?

No boards available either.

So temptation was never a factor. Although I did look up exotic pine species on line last night. Just checking of course

So back in the truck and off to Home Depot

But wait Lowes is on the way.
Lowes pine section is tiny and all they have is "premium" pine. We all know what that means. Uniform grain patterns little to no knots.....Booorrrrring

I did see lots of redwood, and douglas fir lumber that looked interesting. But Landon said pine. So after a few minutes of wistful thinking I pressed on to Home Depot.

I was not disappointed HD had a much larger pine section (Lowes over here is kind of snooty) They even had a low grade pine section. Lots of wonderful boards with knots and coloring.

I picked the best one (the guy working there thought I was crazy) cost me under 4 bucks.

Now what to do.
Enjoy the pics
Cheers all and good luck
Manny

Attachments

• HD.jpg
    HD.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 123
  • Pine board.jpg
    Pine board.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Last night I looked around in my shop for some scrap pine.
Nope nada

Looked in the firewood pile... (wait i live in Southern California its 92 degree right now I don't have a firewood pile.

Curse you Landon

Off to Home Depot But wait Rockler is on the way. I know I know nothing high end or unique can't break the rules already.

The guy at the rockler store actually laughed out loud when I told him I was looking for a pine pen blank.

Had he never heard of Huon pine? Or 300 year old reclaimed long leaf pine?

No boards available either.

So temptation was never a factor. Although I did look up exotic pine species on line last night. Just checking of course

So back in the truck and off to Home Depot

But wait Lowes is on the way.
Lowes pine section is tiny and all they have is "premium" pine. We all know what that means. Uniform grain patterns little to no knots.....Booorrrrring

I did see lots of redwood, and douglas fir lumber that looked interesting. But Landon said pine. So after a few minutes of wistful thinking I pressed on to Home Depot.

I was not disappointed HD had a much larger pine section (Lowes over here is kind of snooty) They even had a low grade pine section. Lots of wonderful boards with knots and coloring.

I picked the best one (the guy working there thought I was crazy) cost me under 4 bucks.

Now what to do.
Enjoy the pics
Cheers all and good luck
Manny
What a trooper, looks like you found what you needed. So far so good.:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I believe I have some South Florida Koa Pine I can use. A relative of the australian pine and the Hawian Koa pine I have been assured.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I have some nice pine i'm using for the neck on my cigar bix guitar. So count me in please.

darrin1200

I am definitly in.

It was great last year. My shop isn't quite back up and running yet after the move. But with a July deadline I think I can come up with something.

GoodTurns

found a couple pieces of pine...hopefully they will be acceptable ... they are pine...

Attachments

• pithtease.jpg
    pithtease.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 176

Rick P

Anybody selling Pine Burls?

Wich brings me to my question I use spruce root and burls in my turning regularly......beofre you say no consider that I used a full log as a suport beam in my house and I still have some of it! Be happy to suply you with a pic of the beam.............:wink:

Manny

Continuing on my adventure starting on page 9 of this thread.

Here are the first 4 blanks I cut out of my 6 foot Home Depot pine board
IMG_4076.jpg

I bought a board wide enough to cross cut or cut with the grain.

First thing I did was turn a spindle and apply a CA finish.
Boy this stuff is soft
IMG_4079.jpg

Too soft for what I have in mind sooo.....

A little acetone and some acrylic sheets cut into strips and tada. Stabilizing magic
IMG_4077.jpg

Right about now I was wishing for Curtis's new stabilizing rig.... but old betsy worked on just fine
IMG_4078.jpg

Love my pressure pot.

This is Experiment number one

Thanks for looking
Manny

Last edited:

DurocShark

Ok, so now I've read through...

Landon, does this HAVE to be pine? Or can it be any kind of construction material? Plywood, concrete, rebar, etc...?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
To be far with what I've told everyone else, yes lets keep the PINE theme in tact. :tongue::wink:

Landon

Andrew_K99

In North America construction grade wood is normally noted as being SPF (Spruce Pine or Fir). These have similar qualities and the design hand books don't differ between them.

If you were to buy (1) 2x4x8' it should yield 96 3/4"x6" blanks! That'll be less then 4¢ a blank!

Before I jump off the fence and join (I have hang ups with pine) is there any restriction on the kit? They range more in price more than blanks do but it wasn't limited.

AK

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
In North America construction grade wood is normally noted as being SPF (Spruce Pine or Fir). These have similar qualities and the design hand books don't differ between them.

If you were to buy (1) 2x4x8' it should yield 96 3/4"x6" blanks! That'll be less then 4¢ a blank!

Before I jump off the fence and join (I have hang ups with pine) is there any restriction on the kit? They range more in price more than blanks do but it wasn't limited.

AK
Well said, no get off the fence and jump on in: Here are the rules again: #2 answers your question, #1 and #4 are most important.

Rule #1 HAVE FUN!!

Rule #2 Pen can be any kit or kitless pen that you desire to use.

Rule #3 As the contest name suggests, the pen should be made from common, construction grade building material. (typically pine, but some areas of the world may differ slightly) No "Fancy" woods allowed. This theme is to help keep the playing field level for those who think they do not have a quality enough material to use in an exchange. Don't cheat and go out looking for some exotic pine. It is on the honor system, do right by everyone please.
EDIT IN: Cut it, splice it, inlay it, segment it, or cast it, just be sure it is PINE in MOST of it.

Rule #4 HAVE FUN!!

Andrew_K99

Okay, I am in :biggrin:. I figure I'll be able to get at least 1 of the 96 blanks from a 2x4 good enough :eek:! Actually I have some other pine in mind :rolleyes:.

It'll be my first PITH. Hopefully is doesn't stand for Pain In The H???.

AK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom