Interesting gas observation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

Chevrolet recommends that I use premium fuel in my car to achieve best performance and gas mileage. I've always ran regular 87 octane in it, but lately I've noticed the engine is the slightest bit hesitant at times so I filled it with premium 93 octane this morning (seems to have fixed the problem). Even though the premium costs more per gallon, it is cheaper for me to run on it....

Regular 87@ $3.93 = 358 miles per fill-up (19.9mpg) = $.20 per mile cost
Premium 93 @ $4.23 = 441 miles per fill-up (24.5mpg) = $.17 per mile cost

I have a 62 mile round trip commute so that saves $9.30 each week ($37.20 each month) assuming I only drive to work and back! That's almost 4 platinum cigar kits! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Wow!

Chevrolet recommends that I use premium fuel in my car to achieve best performance and gas mileage. I've always ran regular 87 octane in it, but lately I've noticed the engine is the slightest bit hesitant at times so I filled it with premium 93 octane this morning (seems to have fixed the problem). Even though the premium costs more per gallon, it is cheaper for me to run on it....

Regular 87@ $3.93 = 358 miles per fill-up (19.9mpg) = $.20 per mile cost
Premium 93 @ $4.23 = 441 miles per fill-up (24.5mpg) = $.17 per mile cost

I have a 62 mile round trip commute so that saves $9.30 each week ($37.20 each month) assuming I only drive to work and back! That's almost 4 platinum cigar kits! :biggrin:
The engine in your car must be designed for premium. Most cars are designed for regular and really don't get better mileage with premium.

tbroye

That is quite a jump in mileage. What kind of Chevy do you drive. I know when I travel to Idaho to visit the Grandkids my vehicles run better after I fill up outside CA. Because of polution laws we have designer gas for each season. I have a Toyota Tacoma 3.4 V6 and a Ford Expedition (LOML's) 5.4 V8 and both of them seem to run better on the gas ourside CA. Next Week when we go to Idaho I will check the MPG on the Expedition and see what kind of mileage we get. I can't compare to CA as we don't do long trips in CA at least not the same type as driving to Idaho and back. I do know that the message center in the Expedition has said I was getting 18.5 mpg on some of these trips which is better thant eh EPA estemate. A lot of gas in CA contains 10% ethanol which will affect mileage and not for the better, but that leads into a whole different subject.

G1Pens

Normally if the mfg recommend premium gas it is better to run it. It provides better performance, longer engine life and usually better mileage (as you have discovered). If you feel the need to "cheap out" you can run medium grade on occassion.

truckfixr

Octane has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel. The octane rating is the fuel's resistance to detonation. Ignition timing and compression ratios can be increased if higher octane fuel is used, resulting in improved performance and better fuel economy. If regular unleaded fuel is used in a vehicle designed for premium, the Powertrain Control Module will back off the timing to prevent preignition, resulting in poor performance and reduced fuel economy.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
hmmmm

That is quite a jump in mileage. What kind of Chevy do you drive. I know when I travel to Idaho to visit the Grandkids my vehicles run better after I fill up outside CA. Because of polution laws we have designer gas for each season. I have a Toyota Tacoma 3.4 V6 and a Ford Expedition (LOML's) 5.4 V8 and both of them seem to run better on the gas ourside CA. Next Week when we go to Idaho I will check the MPG on the Expedition and see what kind of mileage we get. I can't compare to CA as we don't do long trips in CA at least not the same type as driving to Idaho and back. I do know that the message center in the Expedition has said I was getting 18.5 mpg on some of these trips which is better thant eh EPA estemate. A lot of gas in CA contains 10% ethanol which will affect mileage and not for the better, but that leads into a whole different subject.

I Don't know if it's still true but it used to be that cars originally sold outside of CA also ran better (on any fuel) than cars bought there.

Parson

Over the last decade I've cut my daily commute from 40 miles round trip to 19 miles round trip to just 4 miles round trip. In six weeks' time, both my wife and I will work out of our front bedroom and my commute will be 14.5 feet and only require a cup of coffee for fuel.

So I'm switching from regular unleaded (Costco brand coffee) to super high octane premium (100% Kona peaberry beans from Hawaii).

Even though I rarely drive any of my three cars, it pains me greatly to fill up. Our sedan drank $71 in premium the day before yesterday when I filled it up. :eek:

omb76

We have to switch over to a "summer blend" in metro Atlanta during smog season and we haven't done that yet I don't think. Will be interesting to see how mileage varies when we switch over. Gas here also contains 10% ethanol.

titan2

We have to switch over to a "summer blend" in metro Atlanta during smog season and we haven't done that yet I don't think. Will be interesting to see how mileage varies when we switch over. Gas here also contains 10% ethanol.

Wonder how much corn was used to make that ethanol? Doing that takes grain out of the food cycle, uses more energy to make, has to be trucked everywhere (cann't use pipelines), not as efficient as oil..... & etc. Seen the cost of your food lately that made with corn and such as well as beef go up.....it will continue as more grain production is turned in to ethanol.

Burning food for fuel is just plain crazy!

Barney

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
On a recent trip near the Canadian border we were able to fill up at
a station that had two sets of pumps, one read "Sans Ethanol" .. we used
that one. The mileage immediately went up about 25%
Wish i could find it around here..

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Canadian Tire sells ethanol-free gasoline in my area. I refuse to fill up anywhere else, especially when I'm filling my boat's tank. Ethanol and marine environments definitely do not mix! I would (and do) pay more for ethanol-free gasoline!

Interesting point regarding fuel mileage. However, if I were to reach for the high-octane pump, my wallet would likely run away in protest! :) (My truck wouldn't know the difference anyway!)
Andrew

Rick P

I have a 62 mile round trip commute

I really feel for everyone that has to deal with this type of daily commute and more.

Great to hear another posative about an American made car.

My wife's commute to the hospital is further than that one way and she dose it year round. Imagine a hour and 10 minute drive in total darkness with 75 mph winds and temps below -40 for 4 months out of the year. Summer time it's light both ways but the roads are full of tourists who are watching the scenery far more than the road.......seriously folks when you visit eagles are like pigeons up here WATCH THE ROAD!!!!!!

I drive a diesel cant speak to differences in fuel millage with premium but I know it gives the sled a bit more umpf. And I know the $4.56 per gallon cost of fuel will keep "Big blue" close to home this year. Already had to pass on my annual April caribou trip.:mad:

Wonder how much corn was used to make that ethanol? Doing that takes grain out of the food cycle, uses more energy to make, has to be trucked everywhere (cann't use pipelines), not as efficient as oil..... & etc. Seen the cost of your food lately that made with corn and such as well as beef go up.....it will continue as more grain production is turned in to ethanol.

Barney
And it may just get worse as the Mighty Mississippi has flooded all the corn fields along it's banks....

I have a 62 mile round trip commute

I really feel for everyone that has to deal with this type of daily commute and more.

Great to hear another posative about an American made car.

My wife's commute to the hospital is further than that one way and she dose it year round. Imagine a hour and 10 minute drive in total darkness with 75 mph winds and temps below -40 for 4 months out of the year. Summer time it's light both ways but the roads are full of tourists who are watching the scenery far more than the road.......seriously folks when you visit eagles are like pigeons up here WATCH THE ROAD!!!!!!

I drive a diesel cant speak to differences in fuel millage with premium but I know it gives the sled a bit more umpf. And I know the $4.56 per gallon cost of fuel will keep "Big blue" close to home this year. Already had to pass on my annual April caribou trip.:mad:

Only time I have a "commute" now is when I have a show in and around my area... otherwise, I just ride shanks mare out to the shop... about 20 yards... but before I retired, my commute was 27 miles one way(54 round trip)... all inside the city limits of Houston..... and my wife commuted 28 miles(56 round trip) in the opposite direction, still within city limits... I could go the "back way" meaning I could stay off the freeways, but she had to do the toll way at about 80 miles per hour or get run over....

Hess

Barney

And FYI it eats the metal parts up in carbs on mower and such. I Stable everything and just paid for a new carb cause the old one for my Cub was eaten up. Got to love our Gov for push corn on us it did not work years ago why would it work now?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I'm glad I got the bike, it gets about 50 mpg, my new truck is getting about 18-20 mpg, my old Jeep was getting 6-8mpg. That is my story for why I got the bike and I'm sticking to it.

Top Bottom