The PITH is on!!!! Sign up here!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well! I guess it's a good thing I checked in here today. I'm IN! I can do pine. Yup. I'm looking forward to turning a pen again.

sbwertz

Teaser...pick a knot....any knot!

SYP knots anyone?

syp.jpg

sbwertz

Sharon, Home Depot is selling some pretty knotty wood in your area :rolleyes:.

Mine had this really old stuff that I quite liked :biggrin:.

AK

I have about 300 bf of 5/4 SYP, so I just picked a nice knotty board and cut out all the knots. Believe it or not, I got it through freecycle. It was apparently used as spacers between some sort of stacked material. He had 80 boards, 4" x 8' in 5/4 thickness. I"ve promised some to two turners. After they pick their pieces, I'll put the rest up for whoever wants it.

This is not my PITH pen but I wanted to turn some of the SYP to see how it would look. It is filled with turquoise and is going into a bandless black chrome slimline. Sorry about the glare, but it was just a quick pic with no setup.

syppen.jpg

Last edited:

Rfturner

I will be busy but I can turn a pen for this:biggrin:. This will be my second Pith the first was fun.

Last edited:

jimofsanston

I am in too. I think i have some 2X4 pine laying around here some where. Maybe i can go by Hunter27 house and take a board or two off his work shop. Do you think he might notice it missing. :0(

arw01

Into the PITH I go,

but where in your profile do you make sure all your address information is in there? I couldn't find it in the user CP.

Hmm, ideas ideas.. Aniline dyes? Segmented? Knots? Infills? hmmm..

robutacion

Sharon, Home Depot is selling some pretty knotty wood in your area :rolleyes:.

Mine had this really old stuff that I quite liked :biggrin:.

AK

I have about 300 bf of 5/4 SYP, so I just picked a nice knotty board and cut out all the knots. Believe it or not, I got it through freecycle. It was apparently used as spacers between some sort of stacked material. He had 80 boards, 4" x 8' in 5/4 thickness. I"ve promised some to two turners. After they pick their pieces, I'll put the rest up for whoever wants it.

This is not my PITH pen but I wanted to turn some of the SYP to see how it would look. It is filled with turquoise and is going into a bandless black chrome slimline. Sorry about the glare, but it was just a quick pic with no setup.

syppen.jpg

This is interesting...!, if you haven't shown the blanks, and put these barrels on "show your pens" or penturning forums, no one would have guessed what it was...!:wink:

I just admire greatly the beauty of pine knots, which some pine varieties producing some spectacular stuff. I have some logs where I will have no difficulty in getting a knot that will well over 6" in diameter, once I've made a plater that was nearly almost all knot stuff, talking about fiddly work...!!!:eek:

Cheers
George

Rick_G

took the chain saw to that root ball I showed earlier and came up with these. A little time in the microwave to fix any bugs that might be in there and finish drying. Might be able to come up with something that looks nice.

pine.png

gandsande

I am in. How hard would it be to convince ya that Cocobolo is a local construction grade wood??? Kidding.

Sign me up I promise to follow the rules............. Scouts Honor

lorbay

This is the beetle kill pine that Isalndturner was talking about. Should look good in a pen.

Lin.

Attachments

• DSC02254.JPG
    DSC02254.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02255.JPG
    DSC02255.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 114

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
MY TEASER

I had to look all of about 2 feet from my lathe to find this jewel of a blank to use. :)

Attachments

• PITH teaser 00000a.jpg
    PITH teaser 00000a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom