Possible New Forum Feature VERSION 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

Jeff,

I don't have the link offhand, but there's an online tester where you can load any webpage using any browser... you may want to dig that up and have at it. That should point out any flaws.

MarkD

Jeff, I don't know if anyone has asked this yet but since your using the images uploaded to the photo album for this feature I assume this would not work for pictures that are linked to an external photo album?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, I don't know if anyone has asked this yet but since your using the images uploaded to the photo album for this feature I assume this would not work for pictures that are linked to an external photo album?

That hasn't been determined yet. I will provide instructions to insert the codes manually to make it work, and as long as external links are available to a thumbnail and the full sized image, it'll work exactly the same way. I'll be tinkering with it to see how we can make it work better.

MarkD

That hasn't been determined yet. I will provide instructions to insert the codes manually to make it work, and as long as external links are available to a thumbnail and the full sized image, it'll work exactly the same way. I'll be tinkering with it to see how we can make it work better.

Let me know if you need some test material.

walshjp17

As with the previous edition it works well on my MacBook Pro with the latest versions of Safari, Chrome and FF. Also works well using the LastPass browser on my iPad. Well done.

Love the scroll feature. Can't wait until you put this into production.

MarkD

FYI...This feature doesn't appear to work at all in ForumRunner. In ForumRunner the original pictures show up like a link but when you select it you get an error that the image can not be found on the server. I suspect that feature is not supported on ForumRunner.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
On my Kindle HD, there's a problem. I can tap the screen and it opens a bigger pic no probs, and I can also stroke the screen to zoom in further. But it is impossible to get out of. No matter what I do, it leaves the screen in the background shadow. The only way out is to use the browser back button to take me to the previous page. I'm sure it'll work fine on my laptop though.

Kindle browser is called Silk

Last edited:

Crashmph

ok... I like this a lot. please implement this one.

I really like being able to click through the pictures once you have one of them opened up to full size verses the current method of closing the image and clicking another one.

Michael

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
FYI...This feature doesn't appear to work at all in ForumRunner. In ForumRunner the original pictures show up like a link but when you select it you get an error that the image can not be found on the server. I suspect that feature is not supported on ForumRunner.

This feature only works when client-side Javascript is enabled. ForumRunner isn't a browser and so doesn't natively support client side Javascript.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
On my Kindle HD, there's a problem. I can tap the screen and it opens a bigger pic no probs, and I can also stroke the screen to zoom in further. But it is impossible to get out of. No matter what I do, it leaves the screen in the background shadow. The only way out is to use the browser back button to take me to the previous page. I'm sure it'll work fine on my laptop though.

Kindle browser is called Silk

I made a small adjustment. A tap on the expanded picture should close it. Let me know if that works. Make sure you freshly load the page before you try it.

MarkD

This feature only works when client-side Javascript is enabled. ForumRunner isn't a browser and so doesn't natively support client side Javascript.

Good point :)
This feature looks great in a browser but if the pictures at the start of this thread represent the final version, people using ForumRunner, and other apps on mobile devices won't be able to see any pictures.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

This feature looks great in a browser but if the pictures at the start of this thread represent the final version, people using ForumRunner, and other apps on mobile devices won't be able to see any pictures.

Well that's a flaw I had not fully considered... ForumRunner does not support modifications which don't rely on vBulletin's core functionality, AND it doesn't do client-side Javascript. Two strikes!

A fair number of our users visit from mobile devices using ForumRunner, so I'd hate to exclude them from seeing any image at all. Those who use a mobile browser should have no problem.

I can tweak ForumRunner to ignore the code so that users see nothing, and I might be able to at least display a thumbnail.

I like it!! I think the middle size thumb nails look the best. Gives you a great view of the pen then if you want to see the fit and finish a bit more then you can. The next arrow is a great feature.

Great job!

PR_Princess

What? No stone knives and bearskins? Nobody running a Pascal calculator? :biggrin:

Well, I tried it on my Analytical Engine, but it broke.

That's because for stone knives and bearskins you really need one of these Chris!

attachment.php
1_Stone_knives.jpg

A mnemonic memory circuit out of Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever.

.....Always thought Jeff had a little of Mr. Spock in him!:biggrin:

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
What? No stone knives and bearskins? Nobody running a Pascal calculator? :biggrin:

That's because for stone knives and bearskins you really need one of these Chris!

attachment.php

A mnemonic memory circuit out of Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever.

Dawn try your attachment again. That one didn't upload for some reason.

PR_Princess

attachment.php

Dawn try your attachment again. That one didn't upload for some reason.

Ok..that was weird. Redid. Thanks!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Try FR again. You should be able to see the pictures now.

The zoom won't work on FR because it doesn't support Javascript.

MarkD

Try FR again. You should be able to see the pictures now.

The zoom won't work on FR because it doesn't support Javascript.

Yes, the pictures in this thread now appear with FR and I'm able to zoom in on the picture using the normal mobile functions. One thing I did notice was that the last set of pictures in the initial thread ( you labeled them "the small thumbnails") are very blurry. The others look great. The ability to scroll through the pictures is great also.

Thanks Jeff!

Last edited:
Top Bottom