Nib on Jr Majestic and noveau scepter-help!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Got a question from an international customer.

He said the #5 Heritance nib did not fit either of these fountain pens. Since we established, long ago that it did fit, I assumed it was a question of translations.

But the guy sounded pretty savvy with pen nibs---so after two communications, I took a couple Jr. Majestic and Noveau scepter fountain pens and started playing with nibs.

First, the nibs come out of either of these pens VERY easily. One tug and I was holding the nib and feed, didn't even remove the metal housing. Put in a #5 Heritance and it does fall out. Compare the nibs and the "stock" nib is a little wider. They are both the same thickness, so ink would flow properly, but it looks like PSI is using a non-standard size.

Has anyone else noticed this?? Since WHEN????

Has anyone tried the Bock on these? I believe they are a little thicker, does that make them work? Will ink feed?

One other interesting observation: The threading on the front section is the same as the threading on our "replacement front sections" that we are purchasing from Berea to fit the Atrax, Triton, Baron and sedona. Of course PSI uses Rhodium and our nibs are either chrome or platinum. So, they probably will NOT match.

I want to give accurate answers when people ask questions, so please don't "pull punches" because you think I don't want to hear that our nibs won't work----I am happy to advertise them as working only in Berea, if that is the case.

All input is welcome---including compliments for the competitive nibs--for a couple bucks a piece we won't lose sleep if we don't sell nibs-----I WILL lose sleep if I give inaccurate answers!!!!

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

ROTFLMAO!

Yes! I noticed it! In fact, I know to the DAY when this happened (for me anyway). The "D-Day" of the pen business was Oct. 10, 2013. On this day, THE BIGGEST SHOW that we do (over half million visitors) I was THERE, STOCKED and ready to "turn my numbers".

On that day, my "new" Jr Gents, Jr Majestic Scepter and a few others DIDNT FIT anything anymore. My whole "have it your way, presto chango kit" of front sections, nibs and converters DIDNT fit anything NEW! Funny thing! My Venus, Majors, and Retros STILL INTERCHANGED!

If you go back to your records, I called YOU begging for "Ink help" because you were the only one NOT COMPLICIT in my problem, but could help.

ON THAT particular day, the ONLY nibs that fit ANY of the Jr Majestic, Neauve Sceptor, Jr Gent II, were SCHMIDT nibs..... HELL, Schmidt nibs NEVER really fit ANY component set before... Heritance, JoWo, Bock...... NONE of them fit.

Additionally, that's the exact time that a Schmidt K5 piston no longer worked with these sets, without leaking. The time that you could no longer use a Waterman "long" cartridge.

We call that the $10K Day. Well actually, it ONLY COST us $2,500 on Oct 10.... But it was a 4 day show... You are the mathematician... You work the numbers:)

That's ALSO THE first time we've ever worked a major show during a Government shutdown IN A VENUE DRIVEN BY military/ Govt contracting audience.

LIKE good DUMDA$$ Penmakers, WE ARE DOING the same show AGAIN this year..... BUT with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT product offerings!

BTW, Thanks for the "save" on the ink assist.:) you ARE A "goto" in crisis mode.

Last edited:

PenMan1

I have since become LESS bitter. Today, we simply refer to THAT weekend as "the tail wags the dog" episode.

It's STILL hard to smile about "unannounced" product changes costing nearly 10 percent of yearly gross revenues, BUT it's made us much more savvy purchasers.

Respectfully submitted.

I put a Bock #5 on an Apollo couple of weeks ago and had no issues and the client was very happy. That being said I am glad that this has come up as I planned on using Art Deco's and Bock Nibs but if they don't work or the Heritance nib for that matter. Then I need to rethink another higher end "third party component hardware" to make and sell.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have since become LESS bitter. Today, we simply refer to THAT weekend as "the tail wags the dog" episode.

It's STILL hard to smile about "unannounced" product changes costing nearly 10 percent of yearly gross revenues, BUT it's made us much more savvy purchasers.

Respectfully submitted.

I was aware of the Jr. Gent change, I was NOT aware that it also impacted the PSI line. This would lead one to conclude the "decision" was made by Dayacom.

Interesting-----THANKS Andy!!
(Are you using Berea now?? They are consistent!!)

PenMan1

I'm using some Berea, Ed. AND the nice thing is that virtually ALL Berea fountain front sections interchange with almost all other Berea roller balls:

The exception that I've found so far is Electra. While the Electra front section threads are the same size and pitch of Triton, Atrax, New Series and others. The Electra nib is much shorter that the others. While the Triton, Sedona, etc sections fit the Electra and write flawlessly, the cap will not fit over the longer front section. The Electra is the only BEREA product that I've found that doesn't function with anything other that an Electra nib (again, the issue being the cap). HOWEVER, the Electra fountain and roller sections interchange, effortlessly.

On Berea 6mm sets, I found that Cambridge, El Grande and other can exchange forts sections easily. IN FACT, these Berea sections also work with the Spring Blossom and Roman Harvest sets I bought in Austrailia.

I think they are all "in cahoots".

Last edited:

PenMan1

Back on topic of Sceptre and Jr Majestic. AT ONE POINT, the sections from Jr Majestic would exchange with the Scepter.

SCEPTER is not a big seller for me, but the last ones I built (last October) the sections between the two changed AND where the feed fits into the feed housing had a slightly modified "key way". Looked the same, except threads were a different pitch and the FP FEEDS were slightly different and more loose fitting.

Top Bottom