Paul Huffman Pen Vise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

Just this afternoon the long awaited and much anticipated Paul Huffman pen drilling vice was delivered to my house. I’m thrilled to have it and to get it set up for use.

The vice itself is so pretty that I don’t want to junk it up by mounting it to a piece of 1x4 with regular wood screws. I’d certainly appreciate it if someone who has one of Paul’s vices can post a picture in this thread of how they mounted it.

I’m debating using a small carriage bolt and countersinking the nut on the under side. Comments, suggestions and particularly pictures would be welcome.

Paul in OKC

Good deal. Maybe I should include gold plated screws[:D]. I mount mine with short drywall screws. They hold great, and the black head looks nice against the aluminum[:)]
Enjoy.

ryannmphs

I have mine mounted to a lowly piece of plywood[:D]. To save the plywood from getting mangled up, I use a piece of corian under the blank I am drilling.

I'll try to get a pic and post it tonight.

RYan

PenWorks

Mine is attached to 1" MDF with two pad locks and a string tied to my 12 ga. should some unauthorized individual decide to remove it [:D]

jb_pratt

Paul; black drywall screws? I’m sure it would work well but…. At this point I anticipate using titanium carriage bolts mounted to a piece of finished Alder.

I’ll wait a day or so to mount it so I can see what others have done. Once I have mounted it I’ll post a picture in this thread of both the one you made and the one I’m currently using just so others can see a side by side difference.

Paul in OKC

Here is a pic someone sent me of their mounting. Pretty snazzy set up.

2006125223049_Pen%20Vise.jpg
<br />

Ron Mc

Mine showed up today to!![:D]
Already got it mounted. Took a welder and tacked it to the drill press table. Then spray painted it in camo colors so none would recognize it and try to steal it![;)]
Actually I have a simple mount. Screwed it to a piece of 9"x9" plywood via 1" wood screws and clamped to the table. Haven't quite figured out exactly how to set it so that it drills in exact center on different size blanks yet but I am sure it will come to me at some point.
Thanks Paul!![:D] I believe everyone should send Paul the first pen we make that was drilled with his vise!

Paul in OKC

..is it still 70.00
Those on the current list (if you have gotten regular updates, you on it) The price is the same ($72.50 for Paypal). Unfortunately, with metal prices and higher Post Office cost, the vise will go up $5 to $65, and shipping will be $15, for a total of $80. I am sorry to have to do this. I have been charging $10 for shipping, and the ones I just shipped out were over that now for the flat rate boxes with the insurance ($10.40), not including any packing stuff and getting to the PO.
Thanks and sorry[:(].

woodbutcher

My vise came today as well. I have used the one I purchased from Woodcraft 3 yrs ago and was never really satisfied with my results with that tool. I attached the tool Paul sent me to my rig and what a difference! It is simple, precise and well thought out. Anyone interested in fine equipment should have one in their shop. Thanks Paul,
Jim

Randy_

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Mine is attached to 1" MDF with two pad locks and a string tied to my 12 ga. should some unauthorized individual decide to remove it [:D]

Hey Anthony: Ever have to take one of your kids to the hospital for a gunshot wound of unexplained origin??? [:D][:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />
..is it still 70.00
Those on the current list (if you have gotten regular updates, you on it) The price is the same ($72.50 for Paypal). Unfortunately, with metal prices and higher Post Office cost, the vise will go up $5 to $65, and shipping will be $15, for a total of $80. I am sorry to have to do this. I have been charging $10 for shipping, and the ones I just shipped out were over that now for the flat rate boxes with the insurance ($10.40), not including any packing stuff and getting to the PO.
Thanks and sorry[:(].

It's still a bargin at $80.00. The more I use this vise the more I love it! My woodturning club is setting up to do freedom pens with the local Boy Scout troop on Monady and I brought my vise to our prep session. The guys were amazed with the quality and how well this vise worked. They were impressed with the accuracy and they were playing to see how small a blank they would need before they had to worry aboit it drilling through the side. It was quite small, a few thousandths over the finished pen size was all.

Paul in OKC

Thanks for the comments and compliments. I enjoy building things and it is nice to make something that hasn't ended up on the 'That was a wild idea' shelf in the garage. I appreciate the patience of those with this last order. Life with two toddlers is keeping me very busy, plus my job has taken off and is still requiring much time. Hopefully things will slow enough to get after the next batch. I am going to check out another shop to make parts for me, (if they meet my pickiness) that should help as well. Thanks again.

dubdrvrkev

<br />
Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />I thought I was on the list but I haven't gotten any updates..? Let me know.
You ae on the back up list I made. When I start the next round, yours will be one of them.

Okay thought I totally missed out on a round of vises. The bench vise I have clamped to my DP is getting cumbersome. [;)]
I'm definately still interested when they get ready!

wayneis

Ron the beauty of this drill vice is that it is self centering so that no matter what size blank you put in it once you have it centered the first time it will always be centered. The only time that I have had to re-adjust mine was when I had to move my table either up or down, when you do that the table will turn side to side no matter how carefull you are. First of all make sure that your table is squared both front to back and side to side, I have a six inch piece of round steel that I mount in the drill chuck and using a square I adjust the table until it is square to the rod both ways. Once the table is squared just lower the rod down and tighten the jaws of the vice to the rod, clamp the vice to the table and you are done. My drill press has a lock so that I can lower the drill chuck and turn the lock, this keeps the chuck down and I can easily tighten the jaws of the vice to the rod. This is the directions that were included when I bought my chisel mortiser for the drill press.

Wayne
Actually I have a simple mount. Screwed it to a piece of 9"x9" plywood via 1" wood screws and clamped to the table. Haven't quite figured out exactly how to set it so that it drills in exact center on different size blanks yet but I am sure it will come to me at some point.
Thanks Paul!![:D] I believe everyone should send Paul the first pen we make that was drilled with his vise!
[/quote]

Borg_B_Borg

I'm surprised Paul hasn't jumped in to comment. I think what makes Paul's vise stand out among all self-centering vises is the unobstructed, side access feature.

Steve

Originally posted by wayneis
Ron the beauty of this drill vice is that it is self centering so that no matter what size blank you put in it once you have it centered the first time it will always be centered.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Borg_B_Borg
<br />I'm surprised Paul hasn't jumped in to comment. I think what makes Paul's vise stand out among all self-centering vises is the unobstructed, side access feature.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. That's my favorite part.[:D]

Dario

<br />
Originally posted by Borg_B_Borg
<br />I'm surprised Paul hasn't jumped in to comment. I think <b>what makes Paul's vise stand out among all self-centering vises is the unobstructed, side access feature</b>.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. That's my favorite part.[:D]

Me too!!! [8D]

Randy_

Originally posted by Mudder<br />....They were impressed with the accuracy and they were playing to see how small a blank they would need before they had to worry aboit it drilling through the side. It was quite small, a few thousandths over the finished pen size was all.....

I'm sure Paul's vise is very good; but I'm inclined to think that kind of accuracy is due more to luck than to the quality of the vise. Given the variablity of drill bits, drill presses and the wood, itself, I doubt that kind of result could be repeated on a regular basis; but it would be interesting to run an experiment and see what it would do on a day-in/day-out basis??

Randy_

Originally posted by wayneis<br />.....First of all make sure that your table is squared both front to back and side to side.....

OK. I'll bite. Wayne, how do you adjust your table front to back?? The table on my DP adjusts from side to side; but not front to back. I remember seeing a post about shimming the post a long time ago; but never quite figured out what the guy was talking about??

BigRob777

Here's what I have set up. I told you guys I was a mess.
I took some 1-1/8" sapele scrap and cut out a place for the long blanks to poke through and through which I can remove the drilled blank. I can also put in a back-up board, so that blanks don't get blown out. I won't win any awards for neatness, but it does the trick. I love this vise. Paul does awesome work.
200612744911_DSCN2040.jpg
<br />

BigRob777

Ron,
I'm glad you got your vise. The vise drills in the center either way, because of the way it is set up. I have drilled stopper blanks in it and they are still on center. If you draw a line between opposing corners, where they go into the vise walls, that is your center line. No matter how big the square is (as long as it fits), your center doesn't move.
Rob

wayneis

I do a lot of other kinds of wood work and I have an Incra table and fence mounted on my drill press. That makes it pretty easy to square up for me.

Wayne

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by wayneis<br />.....First of all make sure that your table is squared both front to back and side to side.....

OK. I'll bite. Wayne, how do you adjust your table front to back?? The table on my DP adjusts from side to side; but not front to back. I remember seeing a post about shimming the post a long time ago; but never quite figured out what the guy was talking about??

wayneis

Before you make that kind of statement you should try the vice first. I own one and firmly believe and agree with statements of accuracy. If half of the tools at our disposal were of the quality and accuracy of Paul's I'd be one happy camper and the pens that we could make would be something else again.

Wayne

<br />
Originally posted by Mudder<br />....They were impressed with the accuracy and they were playing to see how small a blank they would need before they had to worry aboit it drilling through the side. It was quite small, a few thousandths over the finished pen size was all.....

I'm sure Paul's vise is very good; but I'm inclined to think that kind of accuracy is due more to luck than to the quality of the vise. Given the variablity of drill bits, drill presses and the wood, itself, I doubt that kind of result could be repeated on a regular basis; but it would be interesting to run an experiment and see what it would do on a day-in/day-out basis??

Paul in OKC

<br />

Well, I can't quite figure out how to respond to that. Will the vise repeat to within .001 or .002, not likely. Within plus or minus .005, that is a standard machine shop tolerance for three place decimals. I shoot for that as a minimun standard, but within reason. This is a wood drilling tool, not for rocket parts. But, like has been said, if your drill bit is not true to the table, it doesn't matter what you use. Front to back may take a little shim at the column, or a shim under the vise, whatever works. The only other factor is the accuracy of the drill bit. If sharpened off center, it will wonder thru the blank. So, as for luck, well....I guess that's a matter of opinion.

BigRob777

Randy,
I think that the bottom line for me is this: I heard many posts about Paul's vise, and none of them have had a negative report. Many feel (not just me) that this is the best vise out there. I am terrible at drilling, but this vise has helped me immeasurably. It is well worth the price, in my opinion. As a former engineer and quality manager, I know good quality. If you buy this vise (I have no stakes in your purchase, but am just a very satisfied customer), I believe you will agree that it is the best.
Rob

M

Mudder

<br />
<br />

Well, I can't quite figure out how to respond to that. Will the vise repeat to within .001 or .002, not likely. Within plus or minus .005, that is a standard machine shop tolerance for three place decimals. I shoot for that as a minimun standard, but within reason. This is a wood drilling tool, not for rocket parts. But, like has been said, if your drill bit is not true to the table, it doesn't matter what you use. Front to back may take a little shim at the column, or a shim under the vise, whatever works. The only other factor is the accuracy of the drill bit. If sharpened off center, it will wonder thru the blank. So, as for luck, well....I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Have to disagree with you Paul.

I bought one of your vises and won one so I have had the luxury to cast a very critical eye on 2 of your vises. Also, since I'm a Quality supervisor and fanatical about quality I have tested the repeatability of the vise over time and found that the positional accuracy of my vise (this is only the vise, not the drill bit or drill press) is currently at .0009". The run out of my drill press is .0012" total indicator reading so with a good, sharp, well centered drill bit I have every confidence that I can hit my mark within .005" at any time of the day or night.

For me the vise instills confidence. I don’t have to wonder if it will work, I know it will. And for me that is worth twice the price I paid for it. I would rather sell my DVR and go to a lower quality lathe than sell my Paul Huffman vise. It’s accurate, fast & convenient and that’s why I sing it’s praises.

By the way, When I received the second vise I also put it through the same tests as I did on the first. (there is a thread with my findings on the forum archives) and found it to be equal to the first one in every way, with one exception. The first vise had very small burrs around the mounting holes (which was all I could find to be wrong with it) were not present on the second vise. I also made note of the threading job on the first vise and thought I may have just got a fluke, Well the second one had threads that were as accurate as the first one.

BigRob777

Scott,
Ah, another QC guy. I didn't know that. I didn't do it very long, before I got hit by that middle management / Industrial Engineering crunch in the early 90s.
Rob

Paul in OKC

Thanks again, Mudder. That is good to know[:D]. Both of those vise screws were made on a manual lathe. The latest ones I have had made at another shop on a cnc, so I expect to keep things the same. I am hoping to get more parts made to be able to speed up delivery (after my careful inspection and assembly, of course[:)])

BigRob777

Dario,
Go for it. I probably got it from someone else anyway.[:D] I know that I asked Lou (DCBluesman) about it, so it may have been his idea. It is largely because of his comments, that I bought this vise.
Rob

Lloyd Frisbee

Paul,
Please add my name to the list. Let me know when you are ready to ship.

Lloyd
San Jose, CA
Silicon Valley Woodturners

jb_pratt

I appreciate all the comments and recommendations on how others have mounted their Paul Huffman vices. I spent some time Saturday making a modification of the design Paul posted last week. As you can see I incorporated a set of cam clamps to be used with the T-bolts in the T-track of my drill press table. I also used stainless steel bolts to secure the vice to the wood and countersunk the nuts on the underside of the second board.

200613018026_drilling%20vice%201%20web.jpg

200613018039_drilling%20vice%202%20web.jpg

200613018051_drilling%20vice%203%20web.jpg

20061301812_drilling%20vice%204%20web.jpg

200613018112_drilling%20vice%205%20web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom