Help with attaching plastic to metal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

I am trying to glue or otherwise attach a piece of white delrin type plastic to the head of my arbor press and cannot get it to hold. I have tried Epoxy and it fell right back off the next morning. Is there a special secret that you folks are keeping that has been sucessful in getting this small piece attached? I am not sure any glue is going to hold this slick plastic to metal.

HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

Delrin is know to be non-sticky. I personally do not know if there is an adhesive or solvent that would work. Did you try searching the web?

btboone

Another option is to drill the arbor and make a Delrin pusher with a male plug that gets pressed into the arbor. Just turn it to a few thousandth of an inch over and press it in. It should stay put.

LEAP

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Another option is to drill the arbor and make a Delrin pusher with a male plug that gets pressed into the arbor. Just turn it to a few thousandth of an inch over and press it in. It should stay put.
you could go one step further and tap the hole in the arbor then screw the delrin in the hole. its soft enough to cut threads on the way in.

Rifleman1776

I used to sell Delrin and make (non pen) products from it. I can tell you both from experience and the techy guys at my supply house that it can't be glued. No way, no how. You need to try other techniques.

cueman

I agree, when it comes to glue, there is nothing that is going to work, but Here are two pieces of delrin held together with a small piece of heavy duty double sided carpet tape, these pieces have been hanging for over an hour, the bottom piece is 1 1/2" OD x and the top piece is 5/8" OD, both are 12" long. I am not sure how much the 1 1/2" weighs, maybe close to a pound, but if it can hold that much weight for over an hour, I bet it can hold a little piece of delrin to the bottom of your ram. I use this stuff for everything. [:D]
Hope this helps.

200721154152_Delrin%201%20Small.jpg
<br />

200721154221_delrin%20tape%20Small.jpg
<br />

bnoles

Thanks Douglas, I'll put that in the bag of tricks to try when I tackle the chore.

I did give BB at AS a call last night and he recall using contact cement on the one he shows in his DVD. Said he roughed up the glue side with sand paper and applied the contact cement to both the plastic and the metal and let it set for about 10 minutes before binding the 2 together. Looks Like I will try this first before resorting to some of the other ideas.

Thanks for all the advice [8D]

bnoles

I wanted to bring this thread back to life to let everyone know that the contact cement did the trick.

Thanks BB at AS for the great tip.

JimGo

I would think that the rougher the surface, the more likely contact cement, epoxy, or other such glues will be able to gain a foothold and actually keep the Delrin attached.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I would think that the rougher the surface, the more likely contact cement, epoxy, or other such glues will be able to gain a foothold and actually keep the Delrin attached.

You are right. That really isn't glueing the parts together. Maybe more like cementing rough surfaces with a filler in the spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom