Amazed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

old folks

As some of you know I have a very difficult time learning. I have had a wolverine knock off built for me and I have a Tru-Grind yet I still had problems sharpening.

I decided to try yet another sharpening system, a JoolTool. The very first time I used the JoolTool I sharpened a gouge and it came out really good, I won't say perfect because some people will say nothing is perfect.

I then sharpened all of my lathe tools and I am really happy with the results ! Something to consider.
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

I looked at the JoolTool and dismissed it as an expensive gadget to be truthful...

... but hey, the end justifies the means! .... if the tools are sharp, all is well! [:p]

les-smith

I've never used one, but there is a discount for them in the business classifieds here at the forum.

Tanner

I was watching some gal demonstrate one at the show last weekend and my interest was piqued. She was really getting the edges sharpe.[:0] It seemed a little expensive, I'm going to check the classifieds for the pricing.

DocStram

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Brad and Marc, a few of us have them, and I don't think I've ever heard anything negative from any of the owners.
I don't personally own one, but I agree with JimGo. I've only heard good things about it. Jooltool had a booth at the Atlanta Woodworking Show a couple of weeks ago. Their booth was mobbed. Anie is a jeweler, woodworker and one heck of an entrepreneur. I found an interesting article about her and her husband at "Woodworker's Journal ezine".
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/archive/145/interview.cfm

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Brad and Marc, a few of us have them, and I don't think I've ever heard anything negative from any of the owners.

I haven't heard anything negative about them either... [:D]

We all use what works for us... I think it's great that at least there are options available... Wolverine for some, JoolTool for others... like I said, whatever works!

txbob

I can't help but wonder if one couldn't make a "ninja disk" with 1/4" plywood and a scroll saw. Put on a 5" diameter adhesive backed sanding disk and cut out the open areas. Mount it on a drill press, lathe, or grinder. Make several with different grits. It sure doesn't look like rocket science.

Anybody wanna try it?

txbob

Draken

The gal you saw doing the demonstration was probably Anie. She is the CEO of the JoolTool company. If you do a search, there are quite a few threads about it. I'm in the process of doing a photo review of sharpening a gouge on the JoolTool that was horribly mis-shapen by my attempts to use a slow speed wet grinder. The review may take a bit of time thought, as I'm working it in between moving my woodshop, and taking it easy on the gouge as it is only carbon steel, so I can't let it get too hot.

I purchased my JoolTool at the DC Wood workers show last year and have been a big fan of it ever since. Like anything, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once mastered, you can get great edges on your tools. The curve for the JoolTool was much easier for me as I can see the edge as I sharpen it. Never could get used to the grinding wheel, which is how I ended up with the mis-shaped gouge.

Cheers,
Draken

JimGo

Bob,
I looked at that initially (was actually going to use Lexan because I had some around). I started building it using a rotary tool (Dremel knock-off). I'm not usually bad with mechanical stuff, but I ran into all sorts of issues with it, including accurately cutting the Lexan so that the abrasive wasn't spinning out of balance, threatening to chip off and whack me in the head. I started doing some calculations as to the cost to come up with my generation 2 version, the time it would take, the number of pens I could make in that time, etc., and realized that I was better off buying the JoolTool. Of course, YMMV, but that was my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom