Here are a few of my boxes I turned.. Enjoy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fay Prozora

Fay Prozora

I tried this out on the lathe. This is not the best wood for turning but I had fun doing it. It is sure different than making bird houses and such but I had a ball. I was going to get a treen mandrel but after watching the vids on that, I decided not to get one so maybe later down the road. Have a look.. Fay

Attachments

• 2nd lidded box-1 (640x480).jpg
    2nd lidded box-1 (640x480).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Goblet shap[ed lidded box (640x480).jpg
    Goblet shap[ed lidded box (640x480).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Lidded box with 3 captured rings (640x480).jpg
    Lidded box with 3 captured rings (640x480).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 3rd lidded box-1 (640x480).jpg
    3rd lidded box-1 (640x480).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I like them a lot. The ONLY thing I would say is that the metal handles are not NEARLY as nice looking as your boxes. I do not want to be critical, but with a turned knob it would make them go from AWESOME to MEGA AWESOME.

:) :)

stonepecker

Sometimes something 'different' just seems out of place. Other times it is a trend setter. Each box will tell you what it needs for a knob.

Of course when I ask the wife what she thinks.......she tells me "You are the KNOB."
Got to love them.

Fay Prozora

I wanted to try finials but that did not work out and the ball knob is one I had in a box full of things like that. The knob idea came later. I like the gold knob better as it has more of a shape to it and the other ones are too long. It's just one of those things to keep trying at. The captured rings started out to be some thing else and then in the middle of the project I decided to use the captured ring tool as I have not used in in a long time so those are not real great either. They are three different sizes of rings and had a dilly of a time sanding those so didn't get a great job of that done. But the rest of the box turned out fine. It was all fun and I cheated,, I used a forstner bit for drilling the inside of the boxes and lids. I have a really pretty knob here that has a pretty rose on the top of it so things like that could work real nice too. There are so many things I want to try, but that will come along too.. Thanks for all the nice comments... Fay

wyone

I think the captured rings are awesome. Please don't take my comment above negatively. I just think the quality of the knobs does not match the quality of the box. You are putting out some really awesome things there (way better than I could do by the way) and I can picture them with a turned finial to make it above perfection. Rest assured I could not do that quality yet, but I hope to one day. :)

Fay Prozora

I wasn't taking any offence at all. I just haven't learned how to turn any knobs or finials and such but one day I'll get to that. Some of the box lids I tried but didn't work out so used the store bought knobs and balls. I'm no Cindy Drozda but she turns beautiful finials and I would like to learn that. They break on me so maybe I'm using the wrong tools or too aggressive or some thing. Will keep trying until I get some thing made. Oh well practice and more practice makes perfect they say.. Fay

wyone

I totally understand that. I tried to make some finials for Christmas ornaments and it so did not go well. It has become one of the.. I WILL do it one day things for me. :)

It seems like the more I learn, them less I know. :)

You are way ahead of me in your skill level with boxes. I need more time to work on them!

Anyway.. very nice work

solobiker

Looks good to me. I was wondering if you used forstner bits. Keep it up and thanks for sharing. I have made a few myself without the bits and it is challenging for me. A few of them blew up as I was turning. I may head out to the shop this week after work if I can get the shop warmed up enough.

Fay Prozora

Thanks every one. I kind of was afraid that a box might break or fly off the lathe while hollowing it out. I might give it a try. I was watching Carl Jacobson do it today in a video and he makes it look easy. Now if I can turn a bowl or two, I should be able to hollow out a box. Well time for me to hit the hay so I best go do it. Good night Fay Oh Susan not only did I use forstner bits to drill out the boxes, but made jamb chucks to put them on while finishing up the bottoms. Works real good too..

Last edited:
Top Bottom