First try at lidded boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Made my very first yesterday with I believe is spalted red sycamore and finished with Tung Oil and paste wax. It's 3" in diameter and 4" tall. My second I just now finished and made it with a piece of sycamore from my brother-in-law's tree he trimmed a branch off of last summer. The finial is Leadwood and finished that one with Mylands Friction Polish. It stands 4-1/2" tall and is 3-1/2" in diameter. These are actually pretty easy to make.

Attachments

• IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

Those are beauties. I wish mine were that good. How did you do the insides? I used a forstner bit to drill the insides of mine. I'm afraid to use the bowl gouge as the box is a bit smaller than a bowl and a tight bottom to do. Great job on those boxes.. Fay

Bobostro61

Those are beauties. I wish mine were that good. How did you do the insides? I used a forstner bit to drill the insides of mine. I'm afraid to use the bowl gouge as the box is a bit smaller than a bowl and a tight bottom to do. Great job on those boxes.. Fay

Thanks Fay. For the bottoms, I just went in to them with a good sharp bowl gouge. Then rounded the bottoms with a 3/4" round nose scraper and sanded through the grits.

Bobostro61

I was wrong on the wood on the second one. It isn't sycamore. It's Maple from my neighbor's tree, not my bro-in-law. The finial IS Leadwood though (from the well marked pen blank I had). :)

Top Bottom