Eagle's Last Flight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

I read this post a couple of days ago, it's taken that long to sink in. I have never seen Eagle's work in person, never met him, and I don't even remember if he and I wrote in the same post. Yet I feel a loss that's hard to explain.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I haven't posted in a while and this surely is a very sad news.

I've had some emails and phone conversation with Eagle. We have our own disagreements but respect is always there. He offered me free blanks made to my specifications but I felt it is wrong and unfair for me to take them. He has the tenacity of a pit bull and it took me months to shake him off from his offer. Now, I am almost sorry I didn't take him on his offer. It would have been a treasured blank/pen to remember him by.

Like most genius and gifted people, he was misunderstood by some but those who opened their minds and took time to understand him were rewarded immensely. Long after his banning, he monitors this forum and helps on the background. I remember him sending me emails to work as intermediary so he can send messages/answers/help to people who posted questions/problems. He touched a lot of people in his own way and will be missed for a long time.

May God bless him and all those he left behind.

alamocdc

I'm back at the computer from vacation now and this news has had a few days to sink in. I will always regret not taking the time to stop and meet the man I most consider my penturning mentor on our trips to NC to see our son at Camp LeJeune. It would certainly have been worth the few extra miles. But I also have one other regret. Our last conversation (a month or so ago) was not how I wanted to leave our relationship. I have no desire to try and mimic (b/c that what it would be at best) many of his designs. There is no "duplicating" the blanks he made. Eagle-ish is about all we can hope for. I have, however, created mimics of two of his earlier designs. I don't have the patience, nor desire, to try his more complicated ones. That was partly our last conversation. It ended with him saying, "Maybe one day I can copy something of yours." While some might tend to get puffed up and huffy over such a comment, it had the opposite effect on me. I like experimenting and trying new things, but it seems every time I have an idea, someone posts it before I can. Not complaing, that's just the way of things. But Eagle's remark was coded. Like Travis said, Eagle talked in code and if you understood it, you'd learn. So what he was really telling me was to get back to thinking outside the box and do something original. And I could tell he wasn't happy with me (you weren't the only one to frustrate him, Al!). Within a few weeks of that conversation I did just that. I just never got to let him see it. :( But his was a friendship that I will cherish and think on always.

Lynn, no words can do justice to my sorrow for you and the family. Our pain is insignificant compared to yours. You are all in our prayers. And know that I will always be thankful for the relatively short time I was able to share talking to him.

GaryMGg

I'd like to share some of our journey with y'all.
We returned home from Eagle's Last Rite last night.
We visited with Lynn, Paulie, Paulie's beautiful baby girl, and
Lynn & Eagle's family for several hours and had a chance to share
some good memories.
Eagle's grand-daughter is 4 months old and just the most precious
little girl you'd wanna hold. She's got bright blue-gray eyes and
a wonderful, happy smile.
We gave thanks for the time we shared with him then bid Eagle farewell
on his travels to return to his Father.
I'm sure he's smiling upon each of us thankful we're looking out for
Lynn, Paulie and his granddaughter while he can't be around.

I want to thank each of you who is reaching deep within' to share your
good memories and being generous to our extended family. It really means
a lot to me to see this outpouring of love.

Peace,
G

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I received this email last night.

I am writing in hopes of getting a message to all the people who have posted on this forum.(Eagle's Last Flight) I am William Hawkes and Eagle was my Stepfather. I would just like to send a very heart felt thank you out to all of you. It has meant alot to my family; especially my mother, to read your kind words. It is amazing to see how many people he has touched with his craftsmanship. I thank you and wish you all the best. God Bless you all!!!

Eagle will be interred with his parents and brother in the family plot in Connecticut today. At the family's request, the graveside gathering will be family only.

The costs for a funeral home gathering and services, the transportation of our departed friend and the burial costs are significant. If you can spare a few dollars to assist in these expenses, please make a donation through PayPal to Eagle@heritagepens.com . Many of you already have and I thank you. The fundraising will continue for a few months as I know some of you need to work this into the family budget.

ahoiberg

very heart-breaking news. i, like others, never knew eagle, but couldn't stop looking at his pens that live on at this site when i first learned of his work. a true pioneer. my thoughts and prayers go to all who knew him and especially to his family.

Snazzypens

I know for me when I made a pen that was not everyone cuppa tea. I had a go at a inside out pen. It was quite ugly, but Eagle saw potential in it and he was the first ot email me and commmend me for trying it and he had immediate suggestions to making it better. Not once when I had a go at making something out of the box he always wrote to me to encourage me and I will miss that about him. He gave so much advice to me, He blessed me with taking hte time to speak to me on numerous times. i was fortunate to receive one of his blanks that he made. and i used that pen as a charity auction that made $300.00. When I told him about what I ahd did he sent me a brother for it. For no reason just because i used mine in honor of my grandmothers passing and I used the money to support what she was passionate about so he sent me a new blank. He was a great one of a kind man and what I had ot do with him he was always great. A straight shooter but you knew where you stood. I personally love that trait. My own father is the same so I appreciated it very much. I like ot know if people think it rubbish I will be told so if there is room for improvement tell me that too and Eagle could always do that with me online or offline here.
bye Toni

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Friends -

As some of you have read, Lynn (along with Pauline and baby Charlie) stopped by on the way back from Connecticut to South Carolina. I have met Lynn before and talked to her on numerous occasions, so it was not unusual at all for her to stop.

During our dinner conversation, Lynn asked me to let each of you know how important each message is to both her and to members of her and of Eagle's families. Lynn continues to read the messages and finds comfort in how much Eagle meant to so many of you.

Members on both sides of the family are discovering another side of this multi-faceted man and are astonished at the impact he has had on so many lives in such a short period of time.

I can tell you that the expressions of sympathy have made a dramatic impression on Lynn, one I could see in her eyes. Lynn is not comforatble with the computer, so she asked that I convey her sincere appreciation for the kindnesses shown Eagle in life and the kind words shared on his passing. She will continue to monitor the site and stay in touch with the "extended family".

Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers. I have seen how it strengthens them.

pete00

Add my thoughts and prayers as well...

I forwared this site to a friend of mine, so i thought id pay a long past due visit.
One of Eagle's pen was on the front page, I was going to send him a note then i saw this post.

A few months after joining, i signed up for the pen in the hat, I made a pen for Lou. A little while latter i received a message from Eagle saying he liked it.

I was amazed that the "master" would take the time to tell me that. We chated a few times off and on. My first comment to him was always, "how many sites have you been banned from this week", he'd chuckle and say "dont know I havn't counted today". He always helped me when ever we talked.

His spirit will live on through all the folks he helped....

bananajeep

I never had the honor to meet or speak with Eagle. His craftmanship is and will be legendary. I have gone through Lou's gallery of his work too. Price: Priceless!!

It is so nice to know that an international community can come together to honor someone like Eagle. I am so glad to be a part of this.

Prayers are with Eagle's family and Friends

Mike

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Received this evening.

Dear Lou,

My name is Tonya Hawkes and Lynn Prisavage is my mother and Eagle was really my father in many ways. Often stubborn, as I am myself and we did have some differences (mom has always said that's because we are too much alike), but he was the only father I had in my life for the last 17 years and I am grateful for everything bit of inspiration that he has given to me!

It's an awful situation that we find ourselves in when someone we love passes on, but we learn to cope with the loss and deal with the things that need to be taken care of. I love and miss him an awful lot, but I just wanted to say how gracious I am that he found a friend in you. My mom keeps filling me in on all of the things you and some of the other pen-turners have been doing to help in any way possible. We are grateful for all that everyone has done and appreciate everything. I just wanted to thank you personally for being such a good friend to Eagle for the time that you knew him and thank you for much for all that your doing to help my mom. Please forward my thanks to all that have been helpful. All of you will never have any idea how much this means to her or to me. Especially all that you have done personally. It is very appreciated and I personally cant thank you enough and I know that my mom feels the same way!

Thank you again for being so kind.

Tonya L. Hawkes

Top Bottom