Eagle's Last Flight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A touch of irony, today (July 5) marks the fourth anniversary of Eagle joining the IAP. He had gotten a lathe for Father's Day. Before then, he had never turned anything.

Russianwolf

Sorry to hear about this.

I never got to know Eagle, although I did get his email address from Lou a while back. I had intended to get one of his Eagle Feather blanks which I fell in love with the first time I saw them.

He was an Artist and will definitely be missed, even by those who never knew him.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Grizz

I went looking for pictures of Eagles work. Can't find ... can someone help. Thanks.

DCBluesman (Lou) is setting up an album of Eagle's work on his website as a tribute to this great artist.
(Those of you who knew Eagle well know he is probably going to send a thunderbolt at me for that comment)
Many of us have sent photos to compliment what Lou already had. You might start with the link to that if you want to see a glimpse of the legacy that Eagle has left to all of us who miss him so dearly.

http://www.heritagepens.com/categories.php

Just scroll down to Eagle's Nest - His work is absolutely amazing.

Mrs.

IPD_Mrs

Linda had posted earlier in this thread but I wanted to share another side of Eagle outside of pen turning.

Linda and I have a great love of the ocean and our favorite haunt is Key West, Florida. Shortly after our phone calls began with Eagle we learned that Eagle had lived for a time in Key West. If anyone has visited Key West then you know that every evening the place to be is Mallory Square for Sunset Celebration. Eagle was one of the many talented performers each night as the sunset. He would play the guitar and sing for the tourist that came to watch the day end and the night life awaken. We had a great love for some of the same types of music and I was in awe to know that he had even played with Pat Dailey. Linda and I began our trips to Key West in 1994 about the time Eagle left.

Eagle told me that he applied for a part in Man From La Mancha in his early years at Key West. One night while performing at Mallory Square a gentleman approached him and asked if he was Eagle (yes he had the name even back then). The gentleman explain that he was with the Play House that Eagle had applied for the part. It seems that all mail that they had sent to him informing him of his acceptance was being returned as address unknown. Eagle asked if the address they had was 1976 Nova Street Key West, FL. The man reply yes and that the post office had informed him that the address does not exist. Eagle's response, "well 1976 Nova is my car and I move it every night".

This was one of many stories that Eagle shared with us. It is one that I will always cherish as it shows the many sides of Eagle. His talent, his brutal honesty, his quirkyness and his zest for life. It is so difficult to write and put into words how I feel. The man infected me more than I realized with his wonderful personality.

Mike

Leather Man

There is not much more to say about a man with so much talent. I never met Eagle personaly
but talked to him on the phone numerous times. He was always willing to help anytime help was
needed. His family will be in our prayers.
Good-bye Eagle.
Ben

UKpenmaker

The world has lost a true craftsman in the passing of Eagle
On seeing his work i would say to myself 'How on earth did he do that'
Even though i never knew Eagle, i feel i can say, farewell my friend.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

chuck1250

I never met or had any contact with Eagle, but he had tremendous talent(far more than i ever will) and the had a very strong personality and was not afraid to state how he felt... hopefully by looking at what he accomplished in his blank making we can all be inspired..and we all know he had his friends and his nonfriends...i hope by looking at his relationships with others i can learn to be a better person ( if we all learn something in that aspect that might be a greater legacy than his wood working talent)..... my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all those who were touched by him...

WoodenRanger

Eagle's skills and talent are an inspiration. May God bless and strengthen his family during this difficult time.

NCWoodworker

Nobody has inspired me more, given me more confidence or helped me to improve. He simply did this by teaching me to do it the hard way...to learn for myself. He kept his processes close to the vest...at least until you made a valiant attempt to do it yourself. Once he saw that you were trying, he actually loved to help you succeed.

If he would have just written tutorial after tutorial, I am confident that all of us would not be half of the turner that we are today. He was right. I learned so much more trying to figure it out myself...

...and in the end, I continue to reach his heights!

May you see the face of God and smile, Eagle! God bless your family.

Chris Mathes

Daniel

Lynn, I know you are reading these posts. My heart is with you and all of those that where blessed to have Eagle in your lives. My prayers will be with you all.
I have spent over 24 hours contemplating Eagle, who I have seen him as and his talent. Eagle was such a massive personality that it is difficult to wrap my mind around. HE has always been a familiar personality to me, desiring to develop the very best, not only in himself but in other. I saw in him a belief that the easy way would only produce less than the best results. there is a real value in achieving things through the greatest effort, not only in results but in personal satisfaction. paying the price to take the tougher road can and will produce results that we never thought ourselves capable of. I believe Eagle knew this long before we had a chance to know him and that this belief simply carried on into his work here. Seemingly contradictory in many ways. Eagle was stead fast in refusing to do such things as tutorials, but would go far beyond most in his efforts to help others. determined to do nothing but see you do it for yourself only to then give you unasked some of his masterful creations. True to His understandings and convictions. Nothing came easily where Eagle was concerned, not even knowing him. But as he demonstrated in so many ways, going the extra mile to know him would reveal a tremendously beautiful soul, that was far beyond any expectations. I believe that this beauty is reflected in his art. I believe that the proof of what he believed is in his mastery of his art. Eagle, you have always been and always will be loved.

alamocdc

:(:(We've been on vacation in Frisco, CO since last Saturday and I haven't had computer access. I logged in using dad's PC to check my email and had a note from Lou. I am literally stunned to the core. As I attempt to type this threw the tears I'm reminded of the many conversations we've had. We didn't always agree, but I have and will always consider Eagle my friend. My prayers go with Lynn and the rest of the family. He was truly a master craftsman and now soars with eagles of different sort. I am deeply saddened by this news and words fail me. Go with God, my friend.

PR_Princess

I, like so many others, have struggled with this news over the last few days. Eagle touched so many lives. He was such a dynamic force. And everything he did he did with passion and full conviction. Many of us were privileged enough to be counted as a friend. For some of the closest, as was so typical of Eagle, he went over the top. He always treated us as more. Not as just a friend, but as a type of family.

I will not list his talents, virtues or failings in this venue. That I will leave to others. However, I would encourage all of you that have a story to share to continue do so. I believe that Eagle would like nothing better. That is his true legacy after all. As long as we remember him â€" through his art, in our memories, or in our hearts he will be with us.

Eagle is - and always shall be, - my friend.

coach

I admire the man for never doing anything half way. He did everything to the fullest. He did not only show this in his craftsmanship, but everything. If he liked you it was to the fullest, if he did not like you it was to the fullest. I experienced both. When I first started talking to Eagle on the phone I called him Yoda. He always talked in almost a code. If you really listened, there was a lot you could learn from that code. He sent me on several wild goose chases while I was trying new projects. When I would get so frustrated I couldn't function he would just laugh and give me another clue until I worked through the problem. I always wondered what it was like to be able to envision projects through his eyes. He saw the world in a very different and unique way and couldn't understand why everyone didn't understand. Lynn and his family are in my prayers. The great pencrafter will be missed.

BigRob777

Wow, I hadn't heard from Eagle in a couple of years, until a few weeks ago, when he bought a box of blackwood cut-offs from me. I was looking forward to seeing what he would do with them. He was (in my opinion) the best at what he did. I will never forget that during his first phone call to me, he called me "Mary". What a unique talent and personality. I'll be praying for his family.

I won an auction of two of his sexy woman blanks and still have them. I'll think of him, when I turn them, in years to come, when I have more skill.
Rob

Fred

Even though I did not know personally I feel a great loss to this community of friends.

May he rest in peach and in the presence of our Lord. May peace be upon his family and relatives and all that knew him.

Eagle, you must know that you are greatly missed by us all!

Aderhammer

Take care eagle. I did not know you personally nor did i have the pleasure of turning one of your blanks. Hopefully St. Peter will give you a lathe up in heaven. Your contribution to the penturning community is more than a 1,000 of us could have contribute. Your talent and skill has motivated us all into trying harder in our penmaking. Rest in peace.

I have been away for a few days and just got emails through the Guild with word of Eagles passing. I have read each post and am sad that I didnt know him better. I had the chance to talk briefly with him (I didnt do the talking) and he left quite an impression. He will be missed.
If there are some blanks left of his, perhaps an auction may help his family, and some could have a momento of his talent.
May God bless his family and friends at this time.

emackrell

What a sad loss. Lynn, please accept my sincere sympathy. You and your family are in my prayers.

Eagle epitomized for me a lot of what I like best about this hobby -- the creative spark burned hot within him, he was relentless in pursuit of a better way to do things, and eager to help anyone who wanted to learn. I think I did my best work on the blanks he made for me because I didn't want to feel that I'd let him down after all the talent and effort he'd poured into making them. And I wish I'd tape-recorded our conversations on the symbolism of the Crusader cross pens!
Au revoir Eagle.... till we meet again.

Eileen

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
All,

I am indeed saddened by the news of EAGLE's passing.

I am one of the great CNC "unwashed" that never got a chance to know the real person in EAGLE. All of our conversations and interactions were to put it mildly "strained".

I have always subscribed to the idea of a world of different views and his was one different from mine.

With that said, I am truly astounded by the influence this man had on so many people. I have read through all the posts detailing the interaction that people have had with this great man. Our disagreements aside, anyone that can affect so many people in a positive way must be a good spirit at heart. While I never knew the man, I recognize the spirt and wish his family well and know he will be with friends as he moves to another place.

I'm sure that his heavenly workshop will be at the opposite end of the building from the heavenly cnc penturners shop. I hope in my time beyond, I can walk down that hall sit and talk to him about life and all it's interesting twists.

To his family and his incredible group of friends, my heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to all.

God Bless
Dan Symonds
AKA CNC_MAKER

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for your entry Eileen.

Eagle spoke VERY highly of Eileen and her quest for a very special blank (which turned into a series of blanks). She wanted to emulate the Crusaders' shields. When Eagle researched it, he found there would be a severe technical challenge to create a detail that "No one would notice". We spent HOURS on the phone together as he "bounced off" dozens of alternatives to make it correct. Why? Because it was important to be CORRECT. And, this had special meaning to him, because it was "for our service people" as he put it.

Much of what he said to me was said "confidentially". I am not ready to break that bond yet. But, seeing Eileen's post reminded me of his dedication to detail -- to honor tradition while breaking NEW ground in penmaking.

Lots of memories -- he was a BIG man, especially where US service people were involved. Died on the 4th of July -- appropriate.

Chasper

I hardly knew him, but it hurts.
Ed introduced us; "have a thick skin and avoid BS" he said.
I called, he returned, question asked, answer given.
Then I thought, why did he need to help me?
Why did Ed go to the trouble to send me to him?
Because they care, and so do I.
Why do these guys raise money for a member friend in need?
Because they care, and so do I.

I'm saddened, my prayers are with his family and friends, loss hurts!
To my fellow pen people, he helped because he cared, he made us better.
I takes a legend to leave a legacy.

Scott

I just got back from a long weekend with family. I opened Lou's E-Mail first, because I always enjoy getting mail from Lou. To find that Eagle has left us!

I have known Eagle for years. He had a knack of calling me on my cell phone when I was at Wal Mart. Don't ask me how, but he caught me there a couple of times! We didn't always get along, but I think I surprised him a couple of times by agreeing with him when he didn't think I would. I feel a debt of unfinished business when it comes to Eagle. Expectations that I haven't lived up to yet.

I hope his family finds some peace in hearing the measure of his impact upon us in this group. He has touched so many of us on a personal level. We will truly miss him!

Bye, Eagle!

Scott.

Paul in OKC

I was away from my computer for the weekend as well. To see this is very sad. I am fortunate enough to call Eagle a friend. Though we never got to meet face to face, we spent time in many phone calls to each other exchanging thoughts or ideas, or swapping me making a gadget for him in exchange for a couple of blanks. The blanks of his I turn will certainly be done with an even greater respect. I'll miss ya, Eagle!

ilikewood

Eagle and I got along just great and I can't believe he is gone. What an artist and great craftsman. I still have one of his blanks I traded for an entire box of wood of mine. I guess I will have to save it for that special pen I will keep in my own collections as a reminder of him.

I'm gonna miss him.:(

Nolan

I was gone for a long holiday weekend and just now am getting back to catch up on IAP, this isnt a post I wanted to read. I talked with Eagle on an occasion and we talked of a blank he was going to make for me. We never got that completed and I have never seen his work in person, but just looking at the photos you can see he had tons of talent. We had a great conversation that day and I am sorry I never had more with him. May he effortlessly glide with the thermals.

bigvoots44

I posted earlier regarding the passing of the eagle. In my opinion he was a masterpiece turned by the hands of god. From what everyone has to say about him he was like one of his blanks. perfect in its own right. There are some who broke friendship with him over a matter of opinion. Now they are sorry the never made up. Let this be Eagles legacy. NEVER BREAK UP A QUALITY RELATIONSHIP OVER SOMETHING ABOUT WHICH WE DIFFER. WE ALL HAVE OUR FAULTS. Always look at the other side. We always can learn from the opinions of others, but, we can't replace them or make amends once they are gone.

les-smith

I can't believe what I'm reading. Eagle and I had talked a few times and he had sent me some items for free. He was the first person to make realize what a great family we have here at the IAP. What few conversations we had I had always appreciated his
to-the-point attitude. Undoubtedly when God made him he broke the mold. He was one of a kind and he'll be greatly missed. I'll pray for his family to make it through this trying time and those that will be in the future.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
As so many others here, I've been off-line a few days. I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of Eagle. My thoughts and prayers are with all of Eagle's family and friends dealing with such a great and sudden loss!

One of the first blanks I saw in this site was one of Eagle's blanks.

I was dumbfounded! How in creation did he DO THAT!

It wasn't until I had the joy and privilege to meet him at the Chicago Pen Show this May, that I grasped a hint of his "How." He was like my dear brother . . . genius! What he could "see" in his mind he could bring forth in his art. His blanks, his pens are art at it's finest.

Eagle had the gregarious, glad-to-meet-you, what's up attitude that made one feel at ease right away. He came around the table, stuck his hand out toward me and said, "Hi! I'm Eagle. Glad to meet a fellow pen-turner!"

I am ever so grateful to have had the honor of meeting him and seeing his work first hand.

Can't wait to see what you do next, Eagle!

jttheclockman

Wow, It is a shock reading this. I am a new comer to pen turning and turning in general but I joined this site because of people such as Eagle when he was still on this site. I admired his work as well as all the talented craftspeople here. He will be truely missed and my sympathy goes out to his family and friends. I never met the man and never spoke with him but somehow in some strange way it feels like I have just by seeing his work. His work speaks volumes. I am amazed as I read the various tributes in this post, by the number of people he reached out and touched and spoke to and offered help to. The penturning world lost a great talent but Heaven sure gained a great soul. May he rest in peace!Life is too short.

redfishsc

I'm embarrassed that I did not notice this thread until just now, and even then only after PastorBill pointed it out to me.

Eagle was beyond being 1 of a kind. Eagle was Eagle there will never be such a bird of prey that will teach us as he did.

If I could attach an mp3 to this thread for Eagle, I think some Skynyrd "Freebird" would fit Eagle the most.

:(:(

DocStram

I've been out of town since last Wednesday and have been on the other side of the Digital Divide. Cav called me on Saturday morning with the heartbreaking news.

You may remember that "Special Blank" that I won in the last birthday bash. Eagle had promised a custom made blank ... they don't get any more special than that. We spoke over the phone about it a few times and exchanged quite a few emails. I told him that I would gladly accept any of his blanks .... but, he wouldn't hear of doing that. He wasn't about to send "just any" of his blanks. We decided that it would be a special surprise blank for my wife to commemorate the memory of our daughter. Unfortunately, it was my turn to frustrate Eagle. I just couldn't seem to give him enough to go by for his design of the pen.

I then received what I consider a classic Eagle email. "Offer rescinded" he wrote. I wrote back trying to explain to him that because of my hearing loss I have a hard time talking over the phone. He wrote back and said that he felt the same way about emails. We had a unique relationship of frustrating each other while still caring. How did I know Eagle cared? A few days after the "offer rescinded" email, Cav called me saying that Eagle wanted him to serve as the intermediary. Eagle was still conceptualizing it at the time of his passing.

Eagle loved his wife and his family. He was a man of conviction and determination. He was a true artisan. His legacy will live on.

TBone

This is very tragic news. I never had the pleasure of meeting or talking to Eagle. However he did post a compliment on one of my pens and I considered that from the "master". I will forever enjoy looking at the pictures of his creations and probably wonder forever how he made them. May God welcome you Eagle and hopefully, one day, we will all meet.

barryu

He was one of the few people that I knew of and admired his magnificent work before I met him. I immediately knew who he was as soon as he showed me one of his pens. His advice to me was to always carry one of my pens with me. I will now carry his memory with me always, too.javascript:insertsmilie('[V]')

clthayer

I have had one small contact with Eagle. He was certainly a unique person and I hope that some day I am one tenth the artist that he was.

He will be greatly missed and his family is in my prayers

Christian

OldYankee

Not to detract from this truly tragic loss, but I am 58 years old now and I had a heart attack back in 1996. Every year I see my cardiologist and every year he asks me "Are you taking that 81mg aspirin every day like I told you?". I always say "yes" and he adamantly reminds me "That little pill will do more for preventing another heart attack, a stroke, or an aneurism than all of those other medications you are on." I just want to plead with all of you other "middle-aged" guys (and gals), please minimize your chance of meeting with Eagle sooner than we might like by taking that little 81mg pill every day so we can continue to, as the Byrds put it in the great song: "Turn, Turn, Turn".

DISCLAIMER: Now that, of course, assumes that you are not allergic to aspirin and that you will be sure to check with your doctor to get concurrence. I am not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV and, if I did, I'd be like just like Dr. House. Nuff said!

Say hi to my Mom for me Eagle!

<Chris "Old Yankee" Curtis>

Top Bottom