Castaway VI : Revenge of the Casters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theidlemind

I just finished this pen using a blank I got from the castaway box. It is a satin/chrome sierra vista with a space junk blank made by the idle mind. He did a very good job casting this blank and it was easy to turn. Thanks!
Hey, Thank You! That hardware is PERFECT for that blank, none better. Nicely done.
I suppose you all noticed the American flag with 13 stars? That is a leftover from our first space program that George Washington headed up. Pretty cool bit of history with our pen making.

edicehouse

Wish I had someone to send my address to......

You can give your address to whoever you like, doesn't mean you get the box next.... :laugh:

I guess since Joe is getting the box together and will be sending it out soon, I should post the next 3 who have a chance at getting the box. . .

Then again I can wait until he posts the shipping #. . .

I can give you a hint on who the next three are. . .

They are either live in Texas, or not living in Texas.

Justturnin

Wish I had someone to send my address to......

You can give your address to whoever you like, doesn't mean you get the box next.... :laugh:

I guess since Joe is getting the box together and will be sending it out soon, I should post the next 3 who have a chance at getting the box. . .

Then again I can wait until he posts the shipping #. . .

I can give you a hint on who the next three are. . .

They are either live in Texas, or not living in Texas.

:cowboy:

Joe S.

Sorry for the delay again, I had another crazy and late night at work. It went out yesterday, so it should arrive tomorrow. Tracking # is: 9114901123086703298383.
1.) what I got.
2.) what I put in.
3.) what I took out.
4.) what went out.
5.) what it looked like leaving. (Before the extra envelope)

One of Mike's huge blanks had to go on the outside.
I put in a green/white mica powder blank, a brown blank made from ash in the fireplace, and a space junk type blank for a cigar pen.

Attachments

• image-2379809963.jpg
    image-2379809963.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3286749948.jpg
    image-3286749948.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image-264124893.jpg
    image-264124893.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image-322480659.jpg
    image-322480659.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image-1409161177.jpg
    image-1409161177.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 122

healeydays

Folks,

Just has a friend who is asst postmaster for a town looking over my shoulder and he said if a package with stuff taped to the outside arrived at his PO looking like that, it would be heading right back to the sender.

He did laugh though...

Justturnin

Folks,

Just has a friend who is asst postmaster for a town looking over my shoulder and he said if a package with stuff taped to the outside arrived at his PO looking like that, it would be heading right back to the sender.

He did laugh though...

I would die laughing if I was at the post office and someone tried to send that. I think they are stuffing that into a padded flat rate envelope. It cost about $0.50 more than the SFRB and holds a lot more.

Russianwolf

I ship USPS small boxes (sometimes they are flat rate and sometime just small priority mail boxes) inside the Flat Rate envelopes regularly. Adds a bit more protection to the contents. I always pay the more expensive SFRB postage when doing it though. My Post Master has never said a work but others may. (small town postal workers usually give more leeway I've noticed). Worse they can do is say "no" and you get to keep the bonus blanks I sent :biggrin:.

Justturnin

I ship USPS small boxes (sometimes they are flat rate and sometime just small priority mail boxes) inside the Flat Rate envelopes regularly. Adds a bit more protection to the contents. I always pay the more expensive SFRB postage when doing it though. My Post Master has never said a work but others may. (small town postal workers usually give more leeway I've noticed). Worse they can do is say "no" and you get to keep the bonus blanks I sent :biggrin:.

I almost always "double bag" my blanks. I usually put them in a cardboard or Tyvec envelope, Tape it up as small as I can and put it in the Padded.

Justturnin

Sad thing is I was just thinking of letting Justturnin cut in front of me in line if he did throw them in...

Sorry guys, I have something that I find a little more unique to put in there.

Speaking of unique......

How do you catch a unique rabbit?

..........you neak up on him. :bulgy-eyes:

Joe S.

I did put it in an envelope, I just didn't think that would make a good picture. :biggrin:
(None of my pictures are any good anyway...)

edicehouse

Good news for Seamus, box should be arriving to him today. He will then send it to Healeydays, and then it is on to MPMOPC. Half of the names have been picked allready, so down to the last 11 to get a chance.

I guess I should put the names of the people that can get it after MPMOPC.

The first one to respond in this thread send your information to MPMOPC so we can keep it rolling.

BUZZZZ4
Besquare
PSNCO

Have 24 hours to respond.

I appreciate you all making this so much fun!

Joe S.

I didn't kno I could just tape blanks to the side!!!! hope the postman is not a turner!!...I had to rely on old tetris tricks to get my box packed...old dogs new tricks...Chris B. love your face book page and really thinking about duck calls...good job

A degree in Tetris is still required, you can only tape blanks outside if SOMEBODY [looks at Mike] makes a clear cast blank 1 1/2" thick!

Russianwolf

I didn't kno I could just tape blanks to the side!!!! hope the postman is not a turner!!...I had to rely on old tetris tricks to get my box packed...old dogs new tricks...Chris B. love your face book page and really thinking about duck calls...good job

A degree in Tetris is still required, you can only tape blanks outside if SOMEBODY [looks at Mike] makes a clear cast blank 1 1/2" thick!

Hey, I fit it inside the box I sent to you. :biggrin:

Yeah, I've switched to smaller tubes now too. Only 1 inch now.

edicehouse

I step away for work, and I miss it again....

PSNCO sent some blanks to get the box started, and they were pretty cool, all them "almost didn't fit". :biggrin: BUT on the flip side what will be taken out??? I think it's a double edged sword. Awesome gains, awesome losses.

This reminds me more pics of any made?

PSNCO

I think there is one of my original blanks left.... The ugly green/white swirled blank. It turns down nice and give the pen an older type look. It's one of my wife's favorite blanks.

healeydays

I looked at what seems to be in box and it looks like mine are gone. Let's see if any of the next batch reaches edicehouse when the box gets back to him...

Joe S.

I think there is one of my original blanks left.... The ugly green/white swirled blank. It turns down nice and give the pen an older type look. It's one of my wife's favorite blanks.

That was one of my favorites, second to the blue one! If it wasn't for the rule about not taking more than one blank from any given member, I would have taken both!

Joe S.

I still have no idea how... Those are HUGE! And awesome too, I just kept spinning it around and staring at it. And compared my thumb print to yours. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Russianwolf

I still have no idea how... Those are HUGE! And awesome too, I just kept spinning it around and staring at it. And compared my thumb print to yours. :biggrin:

I thought signing them would be too obvious :biggrin:

I basically have to melt that material and press it onto the tubes. Between them (500+degrees) and the Dichro/Glass (1500+degrees), I can't count how many times I've burned my fingers. The Prism FX are a pleasure to make in that regard comparatively.

seamus7227

Well the package arrived yesterday. So here are some pics. I will post what I took and put back sometime tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20131011_104009.png

ForumRunner_20131011_103957.png

ForumRunner_20131011_103939.png

ForumRunner_20131011_103929.png

One question though for Mike, the first picture is of one of your blanks on the inside of the tube, are you aware of the resin that got into it?

Last edited:

healeydays

I will post what I took and put back sometime tomorrow.

:turtle: the suspense is killing me. :frown:

I am going to go out and cast my offerings to take my mind off this.....

The suspense is killing you? How do you think I feel and I still have 1 more cast I need to do this weekend.

Time is slipping away and away and away...

Now where's that trusty hammer of mine?

Russianwolf

One question though for Mike, the first picture is of one of your blanks on the inside of the tube, are you aware of the resin that got into it?

It can happen occasionally, depends on how well the plugs seat. Most come out without issue.

That is one of the oddest views of one of my blanks that I've ever seen though. Is the outer red just reflecting off the tape/label?

Side note, To prevent the envelope from getting torn at the corners (you are pointing to it in the last pic). Put a piece of packing tape on those areas to reinforce on both sides.

Last edited:
Top Bottom