All to give away...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well I will take a quick stab

#1- different density foams

#2- a cutter to cut the foam and/or sand paper into manageable sizes.

The different density foams give you a soft to firm feel when sanding.

Hummm, I though you had got it but, reading through, you are on the wrong road...!

Came on jyreene, try a little harder or should I say, seat back and think a little...!

The cutters are for paper, you are correct but, great for this "stuff"...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

jyreene

Hummm, I though you had got it but, reading through, you are on the wrong road...!

Came on jyreene, try a little harder or should I say, seat back and think a little...!

The cutters are for paper, you are correct but, great for this "stuff"...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Man, I thought I had it. It really does look like the pick guard on my computer.

PaulDoug

The material you use to apply CA and the little cutter is used to cut it into strips.

If I ever get the right answer, I do not really need/want the prize, I'm just enjoying the game.

jyreene

From my wife:

It looks like felt. Maybe he uses to polish or buff.

I sent a PM with a different question since I didn't want to break the rules. With what my wife said it might make sense and I'm thinking it could be used as part of your flap sander but as a flap buffer except I don't really see how that would work. I'll have plenty of time to think about it as I build a concrete planter box today...

jyreene

The material you use to apply CA and the little cutter is used to cut it into strips.

If I ever get the right answer, I do not really need/want the prize, I'm just enjoying the game.

Can I get your prize if you are right? I just read that. It seem like I was being pushy. What I meant was. If you don't want or need the prize I would be more than willing to work out some sort of deal to receive the prize in your stead.

Also I looked at an older post of George's and it kind of looks like a colored pack of scrub pads that he casts into a rainbow blank.

Last edited:

JDennis

I agree, it is "Crafters foam" used to apply CA glue finish to pens, the cutter is used to cut foam into useable size.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Sandpaper cutter, which is then adhered to the foam. (the sandpaper, not the cutter! :))

Either that, or foam to cushion your head when you're banging it against the table in frustration, and a cutter to cut adhesive bandages into more useful sizes! :biggrin:

Last edited:

robutacion

Sandpaper cutter, which is then adhered to the foam. (the sandpaper, not the cutter! :))

Either that, or foam to cushion your head when you're banging it against the table in frustration, and a cutter to cut adhesive bandages into more useful sizes! :biggrin:

Hahahaha, since I started this challenge/game/giveaway/whatever you want to call it, I had to get a thick pillow and put on top of the desk, to bash my head against (I'm getting old but I'm not that stupid, to use the desktop alone...!:biggrin:) and to scream out loud so that neighbours can't hear me, with some of the answers I have been getting, I'm glad I didn't think in pulling my hair off, I'm already half bald, I wouldn't have a hair left by the time my box of blanks are all gone...!:eek::)

Its late, I'm going to hit the fart sack...!:eek::wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

JDennis

Ok, these are various foam colors you use to attach micromesh sheets to. Matching color chart for. Cutter is for cutting strips.

bruce119

Ok, these are various foam colors you use to attach micromesh sheets to. Matching color chart for. Cutter is for cutting strips.

I think you mite have it John :wink:

The colors of the foam would collate with the grit of the M.M. so you wouldn't have to mark the back after cutting from a full size sheet. Also the foam backing would be nice for wet sanding keeping the M.M. damp longer and more consistent.

robutacion

I think you mite have it John :wink:

The colors of the foam would collate with the grit of the M.M. so you wouldn't have to mark the back after cutting from a full size sheet. Also the foam backing would be nice for wet sanding keeping the M.M. damp longer and more consistent.

What a great idea...!:)

As you can see, thinking out of the box, do result in many great ideas...!

Cheers
George

JDennis

OK, one more time, the cutter can be used to cut sandpaper, micromesh, foam, down to size, is the foam used as a cushion for sanding?

DaveTTC

OK, one more time, the cutter can be used to cut sandpaper, micromesh, foam, down to size, is the foam used as a cushion for sanding?

That sounds good to me. I'm not playing so I'm not guessing cause I won mine already. Just an out there question. Could this foam stuff be stabilised and turned?

philb

Foam is cut into thin strips on the guillotine, then glued and stacked together. Then glued into batches (segmented wood style) and cast for KIDS - resifill blanks?

robutacion

That sounds good to me. I'm not playing so I'm not guessing cause I won mine already. Just an out there question. Could this foam stuff be stabilised and turned?

Dave,

The answer to your question is, I don't know, but you just gave me a reason to perform one more test, when I get the chance...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Foam is cut into thin strips on the guillotine, then glued and stacked together. Then glued into batches (segmented wood style) and cast for KIDS - resifill blanks?

Hi Philb,

I think that, the blank you have in mind has already been mentioned a few posts before, and no, was not foam I used but the coloured kitchen scrubbing pads sold in a pack with 6 different colours, this is what they look like, 010.JPG 005q.jpg 006 (2).JPG 008q.jpg

Cheers
George

JDennis

Cheers
George

OK, one more one more time. The material, foam I think, or is it some type of pick material, is used in your segmenting. The cutters for cutting it down to size, could be used for sand paper or other papers as well.

Bob Wemm

OK George, I'm going to have a go.The coloured sheets are cut with the strip cutter and used to make the blanks that you have listed on ebay.
"Kids Resifills Pen blanks mixed colours/materials.
Item no 140895182037.
Bob.

robutacion

Congratulations Paul, you have the winning answer, thank you...!

NOTE: According to Paul's decision on the possibility of being the winner (post #203), Paul has decided to accept jyreene request on post #205 and allow him to have it so jyreene you are now the winner and recipient of box of blanks #7, congrats...!

With the recent talks I saw here on IAP, about CA applied with craft foam, I honestly thought that the correct answer would be given immediately however, I start to believe that and while people mention "craft foam" there are not that many showing what it actually looks like. There are many types, shapes, thicknesses and colours but, the most commonly found are the straight sheets provided in packs of many colours, mine are 2.2mm thick...! 006.JPG

The paper guillotine is a cheap type found on eBay for a few dollars, and it comes with 3 types of blades, the one I'm using is the "perforation/serration" one, where sheets/paper will maintain attached but, will tear very easily...! 008.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG

Another interesting "trick" I use with these CA applicators is that, I finish 1 sample/pen on every strip end and that makes 4 samples/pens per strip..!

By now, you will be thinking, hold on, if he uses each strip end for 1 pen sample or 1 pen, the strips have only 2 ends so, how in the heck does he finishes 4 samples/pens with s single strip...???:eek::confused:

Well, that is done by doing this 012.JPG simple cut then strip in half when both ends are contaminated/used, put a little drop of CA over one used end and join the other used end to it, that way, you still have close enough of the strip original length and 2 brand new ends to get another 2 samples/pens done, discard after that...!

Cutting the foam sheet through the longest side, is not the best for the way I apply the CA, applicator underneath the blank and CA bottle dripping CA as I move from right to left and then 3 or for runs left to right, very, very fast...! What this mean is that, the applicator (foam) has been held by you hand very firmly, the short length of the foam sheet is just the ideal size to fit in your hand without too much overhang.

That overhang will result in strip will get contaminated the same way as the short one will but, with the overhang being a wast of length, that means also, a waste of the foam, as you can get a lot more strips cutting the way I do however, keep in mind that, I'm providing details of how I do it, this does not mean that is better than any others and or the only correct way to do it, you are most welcome to experiment and find your own preferred method...!:biggrin::wink:

Well, this wraps up question - 7 so, thanks again to all participants...!

Without any further ado, lets move on shall we...!

PS: jyreene,
I will send you a PM shortly, with some info...!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

* Question - 8

* In this following picture, I have 2 identical functional "jigs" (one bigger than the other), what do I use them for and where (machine) are they used on...???
008z.JPG

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Thank you for the win and yes please allow Jyreene collect the prize.

Also thanks for running this thread. Great fun and educational. I rarely turn pens anymore, but I still enjoy keeping up on the hobby and learning new things.

Justturnin

Used on the bandsaw to hold irregular blanks for trimming. Once you get 2 squared sides you can just use the fence for final sizing.

Last edited:

Justturnin

Just took another look. These hold your already squared blanks and you use it on the bandsaw to knock off the corners to lighten the load for shipping.

robutacion

OK George, I'm going to have a go.The coloured sheets are cut with the strip cutter and used to make the blanks that you have listed on ebay.
"Kids Resifills Pen blanks mixed colours/materials.
Item no 140895182037.
Bob.

Hi Bob,

Even though, you are a little late, I can see why you though that way, in fact, that may have been the Resifill "Kids" blank, mentioned previously, but I didn't think of that one, the foam thickness looks identical to what shows in those 'Kids" blanks and the colours could have been but no, those blanks were made with coloured ice cream wooden sticks or popsicle sticks...!

Cheers
George

David Keller

I remember seeing these jigs posted previously, and the V groove holds the blank so that you can nip the log corners off of your blanks to prevent chipping and to reduce weight for shipping to those of us who pay by the kilo for postage. You could use the jig on any saw against the fence, but I'll guess tablesaw since others have suggested bandsaw.

Top Bottom