You know you're old when...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LeRoy, no BS......the world is a better place due to the likes of you and Sharon. You guys worked hard to make it a bit easier for your next generation. I know these days, there is unfortunately a disgusting lack of respect for our elders, but Rest assured that those that count still appreciate the hardships you all went through.

Btw, I bet you wish you still had the 2 door Bel-air......:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pete275

I thought I would add, "you know your old when you pull a muscle trying to put on your socks". Mostly though I don't really feel old. My 22 year old daughter says that 62 is still young and I guess she is right. By the way I agree with skippy's sentiment where Leroy and Sharon are concerned.

Wayne

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I thought I would add, "you know your old when you pull a muscle trying to put on your socks". Mostly though I don't really feel old. My 22 year old daughter says that 62 is still young and I guess she is right. By the way I agree with skippy's sentiment where Leroy and Sharon are concerned.

Wayne
I wouldn't say 62 is "young" but I do think that in today's world it is more like middle age than old. When I was say 20 years old 62 year old were nothing like as active and vibrant as 62 year old people are today.

This is one of those rare but great classic threads that we need more often. :biggrin: There have been many great posts.

Reading Sharon and Leroy's posts reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw comparing scars in Jaws :rolleyes::biggrin:

Hell, I'm only 21 ( :rolleyes: ) and I'm still trying to figure out what Sharon meant about roll down windows !! :eek:
Sharon and I were not what we referred to as "upper crust" folks. He dad worked the oil fields, my dad was a one handed house painter (he had only a thumb and 2/3 of the pinkie on his left hand).I learned to drive (after I got out of the Navy in 1959/60 because we had no car when I was 16) in a 9 year old 1950 Studebaker Champion and my first car (bought after the 62's came out in 1961) was a 1957 Chevy Bel-air two door hardtop Sport Coupe.

After March of 1960 I had a good job and have not been poor since. Not rich by most standards but pretty well off. But between the depression still being on when I was born followed by WWII there weren't a lot of "luxuries" at our house.

I remember also - Ration books, gas rationing stickers, taking .10 a week to school to buy a stamp, that went into a stamp book and when the book was full it was traded for a War bond. We also picked milkweed pods, saved all tin foil and other things to turn in for the war effort.

Smitty,
I'm about 4 years behind you... got out of the Navy in '64... my first car was a 1959 Chevy Impala.. two door sedan with an Okie rake (rear end dropped about 2-4 inches ) with fender skirts... It had a Herscht conversion kit converting from an automatic to a 3 speed on the floor... I bought it in 1963 while I was still in the Navy and stationed in SF on the USS Finch.... I had been home on leave for my brother's funeral and got off the bus in Chandler AZ to visit my mother who was living there and had gone home ahead of me from the funeral... Great car, BUT that '57 sport coupe was probably one of the best cars Chevrolet ever built... I think they're still hot today.

I learned to drive at 18 from a 70 year old woman (she was my land lady) in her 1956 Plymouth Savoy. I didn't learn until then because my dad was a lousy teacher and really didn't have the patience to teach me... he drove a 1951 Ford - not sure of the model - that had a sticky accelerator and bent shift lever... if you stopped and parked in high gear, you had to bang on the lever to get it out of gear so you could go back to low... I think he finally changed the transmission and shifting mechanism about 1962... I was home on leave and he picked up a friend mechanic and they changed the transmission in the parking lot of a roadside park.

I still have some of the ration books that my folks had during the war... one for sugar, one for shoes for me, and several others I don't remember right now. Don't remember the gas ration stickers... we didn't have a car until after the war... any travel we did was by wagon behind a pair of mules.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This is one of those rare but great classic threads that we need more often. :biggrin: There have been many great posts.

Reading Sharon and Leroy's posts reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw comparing scars in Jaws :rolleyes::biggrin:

Hell, I'm only 21 ( :rolleyes: ) and I'm still trying to figure out what Sharon meant about roll down windows !! :eek:
Sharon and I were not what we referred to as "upper crust" folks. He dad worked the oil fields, my dad was a one handed house painter (he had only a thumb and 2/3 of the pinkie on his left hand).I learned to drive (after I got out of the Navy in 1959/60 because we had no car when I was 16) in a 9 year old 1950 Studebaker Champion and my first car (bought after the 62's came out in 1961) was a 1957 Chevy Bel-air two door hardtop Sport Coupe.

After March of 1960 I had a good job and have not been poor since. Not rich by most standards but pretty well off. But between the depression still being on when I was born followed by WWII there weren't a lot of "luxuries" at our house.

I remember also - Ration books, gas rationing stickers, taking .10 a week to school to buy a stamp, that went into a stamp book and when the book was full it was traded for a War bond. We also picked milkweed pods, saved all tin foil and other things to turn in for the war effort.

Smitty,
I'm about 4 years behind you... got out of the Navy in '64... my first car was a 1959 Chevy Impala.. two door sedan with an Okie rake (rear end dropped about 2-4 inches ) with fender skirts... It had a Herscht conversion kit converting from an automatic to a 3 speed on the floor... I bought it in 1963 while I was still in the Navy and stationed in SF on the USS Finch.... I had been home on leave for my brother's funeral and got off the bus in Chandler AZ to visit my mother who was living there and had gone home ahead of me from the funeral... Great car, BUT that '57 sport coupe was probably one of the best cars Chevrolet ever built... I think they're still hot today.

I learned to drive at 18 from a 70 year old woman (she was my land lady) in her 1956 Plymouth Savoy. I didn't learn until then because my dad was a lousy teacher and really didn't have the patience to teach me... he drove a 1951 Ford - not sure of the model - that had a sticky accelerator and bent shift lever... if you stopped and parked in high gear, you had to bang on the lever to get it out of gear so you could go back to low... I think he finally changed the transmission and shifting mechanism about 1962... I was home on leave and he picked up a friend mechanic and they changed the transmission in the parking lot of a roadside park.

I still have some of the ration books that my folks had during the war... one for sugar, one for shoes for me, and several others I don't remember right now. Don't remember the gas ration stickers... we didn't have a car until after the war... any travel we did was by wagon behind a pair of mules.
My mother had some of those but I think one of my nieces absconded with them before I could ask for them. I remember the gas stickers only because a lot of cars still had them on the windshield after the war --- they were on the right side and some people never bothered to remove them and right after the war my dad bought a 1936 Chevy pick-up truck that still had an A sticker which I think was good for 3 gallons of gas a week.

I nearly bought a 1959 Chevy Impala myself - offered a hell of a deal while on a Med Cruise but with no driver's license and having to pick it up in Boston and try to get it home from there I passed on it. A couple of guys on the ship did buy them though.

My '57 was equipped with what they called power pack (which was a quad carb and dual exhaust) and a Turboglide transmission. I don't remember the Horse Power but I think it was about 220 or so. It would get out of it's own way though I'll tell you that. I only kept it 6 months then traded it for a 62 Impala. It had about the same horse power but was a little heavier and didn't have quite as much moxie. My dad worked off his local head tax (our only township tax at the time) by working driving a horse on the township road .... our township was so small that in the early 2000's it had only 3 1/2 miles of township roads ... in the 40's it was only about 2 miles half dirt and half paved. He also drove horse at time is the lumber woods and plowed our garden with a horse drawn plow. He was born in 1988 so used horses all of his early life. I believe he got a car for the first time in the late 1920s.

Last edited:

Smitty,

My mother had some of those but I think one of my nieces absconded with them before I could ask for them. I remember the gas stickers only because a lot of cars still had them on the windshield after the war --- they were on the right side and some people never bothered to remove them and right after the war my dad bought a 1936 Chevy pick-up truck that still had an A sticker which I think was good for 3 gallons of gas a week.

I nearly bought a 1959 Chevy Impala myself - offered a hell of a deal while on a Med Cruise but with no driver's license and having to pick it up in Boston and try to get it home from there I passed on it. A couple of guys on the ship did buy them though.

My '57 was equipped with what they called power pack (which was a quad carb and dual exhaust) and a Turboglide transmission. I don't remember the Horse Power but I think it was about 220 or so. It would get out of it's own way though I'll tell you that. I only kept it 6 months then traded it for a 62 Impala. It had about the same horse power but was a little heavier and didn't have quite as much moxie. My dad worked off his local head tax (our only township tax at the time) by working driving a horse on the township road .... our township was so small that in the early 2000's it had only 3 1/2 miles of township roads ... in the 40's it was only about 2 miles half dirt and half paved. He also drove horse at time is the lumber woods and plowed our garden with a horse drawn plow. He was born in 1988 so used horses all of his early life. I believe he got a car for the first time in the late 1920s.

Your dad was the same age as my Grandmother on dad's side of family... she was also born in 1888. I guess it helped being from the rural north part of the country... living in the rural south we were a little behind in development... Grand father died in 1945 and never owned a car. My dad got his first car in about 1947...

I still see a '57 on the road occasionally... never owned one, but it's definitely a sweet automobile.....I kept my Impala about 3 years... traded it in 1965 for a 1964 hard topped convertible Corvette that had a 365 horse powered 327 engine, it came with a Holley AFB carb and I'm pretty sure a race cam... it didn't idle well, kinda loped, but I tested it on the 405 south out of Los Angeles one day and at 125 mph, I was still accelerating, the front end was lifting and I still had accelerator pedal left... shut it down and never tried that again, although I punched once coming out of a service stations, swapped ends and headed right back into the station straight for the pumps... not sure who got the biggest surprise, me or the station attendant.
When the '64 vette was stolen insurance paid off and I got a '65 with a rag top... drove it for about 3 years until I got married and being a practical man (??? :cool::laugh:) traded it for a Volkswagen... I married a woman with a 6 year old daughter and no place for her to ride in the 'vette.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Smitty,

Your dad was the same age as my Grandmother on dad's side of family... she was also born in 1888. I guess it helped being from the rural north part of the country... living in the rural south we were a little behind in development... Grand father died in 1945 and never owned a car. My dad got his first car in about 1947...

I still see a '57 on the road occasionally... never owned one, but it's definitely a sweet automobile.....I kept my Impala about 3 years... traded it in 1965 for a 1964 hard topped convertible Corvette that had a 365 horse powered 327 engine, it came with a Holley AFB carb and I'm pretty sure a race cam... it didn't idle well, kinda loped, but I tested it on the 405 south out of Los Angeles one day and at 125 mph, I was still accelerating, the front end was lifting and I still had accelerator pedal left... shut it down and never tried that again, although I punched once coming out of a service stations, swapped ends and headed right back into the station straight for the pumps... not sure who got the biggest surprise, me or the station attendant.
When the '64 vette was stolen insurance paid off and I got a '65 with a rag top... drove it for about 3 years until I got married and being a practical man (??? :cool::laugh:) traded it for a Volkswagen... I married a woman with a 6 year old daughter and no place for her to ride in the 'vette.
My 62 Chevy had a 327 (62 was the 1st year for that configuration) with a quad (holly I think) carb and dual exhausts. Like I said it had about the same horsepower as the 57 but because I got it with power glide it wasn't quite as quick off the dime. I never really knew what any of my cars would do as top speed because the speedometers would peg at about 110 and they'd all go faster than that. --- here's another little tid bit. My grandfather on my mother's side died in 1945 at 80 years of age. My grand father on my fathers side was born in 1842 and died in 1920 - my dad was the youngest of his seven children. If he were living he'd have been 96 when I was born also the youngest of seven children.

Last edited:

sbwertz

LeRoy, no BS......the world is a better place due to the likes of you and Sharon. You guys worked hard to make it a bit easier for your next generation. I know these days, there is unfortunately a disgusting lack of respect for our elders, but Rest assured that those that count still appreciate the hardships you all went through.

The funny thing is, we didn't see them as hardships! I had a very happy childhood with loving parents. I'm younger than LeRoy, (72...I got out of the Army in 63) but because I grew up on the "frontier" as it were, we had some living conditions that were ten years behind more developed areas.

I spent my summers as a child with my grandparents in a lovely home in Tulsa OK, (and saw my first TV there), and lived with them for a year to go to kindergarden because our small town in Wyoming didn't have one.

We often lived out in the country, on location at a drilling rig. In N. Dakota when I was 12 I rode a school bus 52 miles each way to school on the indian reservation.

But I had an orphaned bobcat kitten we rescued before he had his eyes open, and raised an orphaned pronghorn antelope fawn, (butted like a billy goat!) I wouldn't trade my childhood for any other.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The funny thing is, we didn't see them as hardships! I had a very happy childhood with loving parents. I'm younger than LeRoy, (72...I got out of the Army in 63) but because I grew up on the "frontier" as it were, we had some living conditions that were ten years behind more developed areas.

I spent my summers as a child with my grandparents in a lovely home in Tulsa OK, (and saw my first TV there), and lived with them for a year to go to kindergarden because our small town in Wyoming didn't have one.

We often lived out in the country, on location at a drilling rig. In N. Dakota when I was 12 I rode a school bus 52 miles each way to school on the indian reservation.

But I had an orphaned bobcat kitten we rescued before he had his eyes open, and raised an orphaned pronghorn antelope fawn, (butted like a billy goat!) I wouldn't trade my childhood for any other.
You nailed it Sharon - we didn't see life as hard - and like you, I had a happy childhood, when I look back on it, I don't remember ever being unhappy because I didn't have a lot of things. Maybe because even being poor, we knew people who were poorer than we were.

I never did ride a school bus more than 5 miles to get to school but the first 8 grades I walked. 2 miles the first 3 grades 3/4 of a mile 4th through 8th grades, and 1/4 of a mile to catch the bus in high school. And even in the Poconos in PA where there was a fair amount of snow every year we never had but one "snow day" in my 4 years of high school. And I don't remember any in elementary school where we were all walkers - I do remember getting out at one o'clock a couple of times because of snow though.

Skie_M

*sigh* ... I remember back in the day .... walking a mile and a half to school through -40 weather because I missed the bus .... there was 5 feet of snow on the ground. I also remember shoveling my way through it to find the sidewalk the next week so that we could go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood....

(School wasn't canceled unless it was -45 or below ... that's the temperature at which the oil in diesel gasoline will separate out and solidify on the bottom of a gas tank, and for some silly reason it's against federal law to put a HEATING PAD on the GAS TANK of a GOVERNMENT OWNED VEHICLE made for the TRANSPORTATION OF CHILDREN.)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You remember when 5 Versions of the song Harbor Lights were all on the billboard chart at almost the same time. I remember it as being both #1 and #2 by different bands. Actually these were remakes recorded in 1950 the song was first recorded the year I was born. There was a second remake by the Platters that made the chart in 1960.

This part I looked up(Sammy Kaye peaked at #1, Guy Lombardo peaked at #2, Bing Crosby peaked at #10, Ray Anthony peaked at #15 and Ray Flanagan peaked at #27.}

You nailed it Sharon - we didn't see life as hard - and like you, I had a happy childhood, when I look back on it, I don't remember ever being unhappy because I didn't have a lot of things. Maybe because even being poor, we knew people who were poorer than we were.

I never did ride a school bus more than 5 miles to get to school but the first 8 grades I walked. 2 miles the first 3 grades 3/4 of a mile 4th through 8th grades, and 1/4 of a mile to catch the bus in high school. And even in the Poconos in PA where there was a fair amount of snow every year we never had but one "snow day" in my 4 years of high school. And I don't remember any in elementary school where we were all walkers - I do remember getting out at one o'clock a couple of times because of snow though.

It's funny what people think of as hard times today... like you and Sharon, we didn't have much when I was growing up either... being share croppers, we got a small portion of the farm as "our" crop and the rest of the time we worked for the man who owned the farm.... My mother told me we were poor after I got to be a grown man with kids of my own, surprised me... did have any idea. Don't remember all of the school bus rides as far as the distance.... the last year I did ride a bus the county had consolidated all the schools in the county into 3 districts... we only had 3 schools in the county in the 3 towns in the county... we were the first on the bus in the morning and first off in the afternoon, but we pretty much covered about half the county picking up riders...we picked up everyone on the route for school, grammar, jr. high and high school...Jr high and high school were in the same building... don't remember any "snow" days...'course we lived in east Texas and part of the time in west Texas... rarely snowed more than an inch or so... a few "blue northerners" but only bad storm I remember was in west Texas when we had moved out of the school district and the bus let us off at the end of the route and several miles from the house.... parents were supposed to pick us up, but they were delayed and my sister wouldn't go up to the neighbor's house to wait as we were told to... so we started walking home in one of those "blue northerners" and neither of us had a proper coat... it was warm and sunny when we left for school and the storm blew in as school let out... we were fortunate that a couple was driving north towards Oklahoma, saw us walking along the highway in the storm and picked us up and drove us home... they even lit a fire in the cook stove so we could warm up... naturally my parents were in a state of panic when they couldn't find us, but I don't think people would do today what those folks did...

I remember several Christmas's that there was only one or two little things under the tree, things weren't all that important... I made a number of my own toys and had just as much enjoyment playing with them... it was more fun to have friends to play with instead of things.

sbwertz

That winter in N. Dakota was a doozie. We were in the middle of the Ft Berthoud indian reservation on a drilling rig location. I was at the very end of the bus route, which meant I was the first one picked up and the last one dropped off. It was dark when I got on the bus and it was dark when I got back off! I took a pillow and blanket and staked out the seat over the heater and went to sleep.

Mandaree elementary school was one of the best schools I ever went to. It was in the middle of the reservation, and I was the only non-indian student there (Well almost...I'm 1/4 Cherokee!)

My best friend was Joyce Whitehorse, and her dad brought her to the school bus and picked her up in a horse and sled. Another student lived across a big pasture from the bus stop and he came riding across the pasture every morning on his horse, took off the bridle and hung it on the fence and turned the horse loose. In the evening, his dad picked him up in a truck. I thought that was SO cool!

sbwertz

This whole thread makes me realize just how much difference one single generation can make. I was 20 when my daughter was born, and 22 when my son was born, so there are really isn't THAT much difference in our ages. But what a difference in lifestyle.

I remember our first car trip to OK and CO when my kids were 5 and 3. My daughter woke up and looked out the window as we drove in OK.

Mommy, What ARE those? she asked as we drove through a forest. (She was very near sighted, we later found.)

Those are trees, Kathy.

You mean real WILD trees? Nobody PLANTED THEM? Spoken like a true child of the desert!

That same trip we visited my friend in CO who had a small farm. The kids were enchanted by watching them milk the cow....until breakfast time.

My son: Mommy, what's that funny stuff in the milk?

It's cream, John.

Long silence....Can you take it out?

I was raising a couple of "city slickers!"

Last edited:
This whole thread makes me realize just how much difference one single generation can make. I was 20 when my daughter was born, and 22 when my son was born, so there are really isn't THAT much difference in our ages. But what a difference in lifestyle.

That same trip we visited my friend in CO who had a small farm. The kids were enchanted by watching them milk the cow....until breakfast time.

My son: Mommy, what's that funny stuff in the milk?

It's cream, John.

Long silence....Can you take it out?

I was raising a couple of "city slickers!"

Your story reminded me of an incident with a couple of my cousins..same generation as me, but born and raised in town... but only about 40 miles from where I grew up... they were visiting my Grandmother who had moved into town after Grandpa died, but still had her country roots and always bought milk from a local farmer in glass gallon jugs.... at breakfast one morning, she was pouring milk from the jug and one of the cousins said "We only drink homogenized milk".... Grandma had a milk carton she had saved, so she took the jug back to the kitchen, poured milk into the carton, then poured it into their cereal and glass... they never knew the difference.

Top Bottom