You know you're old when...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

......... you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of a drop down box to find the year you were born. Worse, you are 10 years from the earliest date in that box.

......... the only jokes you know are from Vaudeville. Worse, you have to explain what Vaudeville was.

Last edited:

TonyL

- You are willing to admit that Taco Bell tells tastes like cat food (or at least smells like it) and still like it.

- You believe you achieved success now that you have a plunger in ever bathroom.

- You nap more than your parents.

- The sound of a crying baby in a restaurant penetrates your dental fillings.

- You thank God that you can still walk up the stairs to retrieve what you have forgotten to bring down the first 3 times.

Kenny Durrant

Your old when you sound like your parents did when you were growing up. I heard a comedian talking about his dad waking up in the morning and saying " I ache all over. I must have slept wrong". the comedian then thought how dumb do you have to be to sleep wrong. The worst you could do would be to put your head a the foot of the bed but what would harm would that do. Then one day he woke up hurting for no reason so he thought " I must have slept wrong". For those that don't understand this don't worry it's coming!!!!!!

Skie_M

You know you're old when you show someone a new wood blank at work and have to explain what a lathe is and how it works and they ask if you're going to make it into a sex toy .....

The post above mine should read:

"It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night."

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When music 'golden oldies' were popular with the grandchildren.

You can remember when there were neither computers or cell phones.

You know without looking it up who Yukon King was.

You remember who the Bickersons were

You actually saw Fats Domino perform

You "Remember Pearl Harbor"

You know who taught Americans to sing "God Bless America" during WWII

Your first plane ride was in a Piper Cub and your first plane trip was in a DC3.

You learned to drive in a Studebaker Commander

Skie_M

You learned to drive without "power steering" ....

You grew up someplace where "running water" was a convenience ...

You know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood ...

sbwertz

Your first plane ride was in a Piper Cub and your first plane trip was in a DC3.

Computers? Cell Phones? How about when there were no dial telephones (Number Please?), no televisions, and I saw the Ink Spots perform! I saw Hopalong Cassidy perform live, and petted Toppers pretty nose! And when I joined the Army they flew us down the West Coast in a gooney bird before putting us on a commercial airliner to fly to Ft McClellen, AL for basic. (and I also flew for the first time in a Piper Cub when I was 15.) And God bless Kate Smith! Dang, Leroy, We are older than dirt!
I didn't learn to drive in either of our Studebakers (51 & 53) but I traveled a lot of miles in them.

Just yesterday I heard Donna Diana Overture, and immediately thought of Sgt Preston! Used to listen to it on the radio.

Last edited:

sbwertz

You learned to drive without "power steering" ....

You grew up someplace where "running water" was a convenience ...

You know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood ...

And "air conditioning" meant rolling down the windows.

Skie_M

When someone says "Older than them thar hills" and you nod and reminisce about when those hills were young ....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Computers? Cell Phones? How about when there were no dial telephones (Number Please?), no televisions, and I saw the Ink Spots perform! I saw Hopalong Cassidy perform live, and petted Toppers pretty nose! And when I joined the Army they flew us down the West Coast in a gooney bird before putting us on a commercial airliner to fly to Ft McClellen, AL for basic. (and I also flew for the first time in a Piper Cub when I was 15.) And God bless Kate Smith! Dang, Leroy, We are older than dirt!
I didn't learn to drive in either of our Studebakers (51 & 53) but I traveled a lot of miles in them.

Just yesterday I heard Donna Diana Overture, and immediately thought of Sgt Preston! Used to listen to it on the radio.
Where I lived must have been a little ahead of your area because I know I'm a tad older than you were. There were still some phones that cranked to get the operator but we didn't have a phone....."To Each His Own" by the Ink Spots was one of my favorite songs when I was pre-teen. Then you knew who Yukon King was - "swiftest and strongest lead dog in the great Northwest blazing the trail for Sargent Preston of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police"

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

It's good to think back and try to remember the good old days but age doesn't bother me. I know this is a different subject but being "Wore Out" is pure torture. I know it could be worse but I see people 30 years older than I am and they seem to be in better shape. This aids thing is no fun. Not that kind of aids the seeing aids, hearing aids and walking aids.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It's good to think back and try to remember the good old days but age doesn't bother me. I know this is a different subject but being "Wore Out" is pure torture. I know it could be worse but I see people 30 years older than I am and they seem to be in better shape. This aids thing is no fun. Not that kind of aids the seeing aids, hearing aids and walking aids.
Yep....I've had heart problems for almost 30 years. We just need to learn to live with it and if you can't do it don't do it.

I'm younger than Smitty (by a couple of years) but I remember living in a few places with an outhouse, no electricity, kerosene lamps (did lots of homework under one of those), riding in a horse drawn wagon to town (I was about 6 when we got our first car -- a Model A Ford, coupe without the rumble seat... a family of 5 riding on one seat... I generally rode laying across the back seat behind mom and dad... when we moved to west Texas I rode 500 miles laying there.), my dad plowing 60 acres of farmland behind a pair of green broke mules, training them to pull the plow and cultivators, also remember when the electric companies first installed electricity down the primary roads... (we lived back aways and didn't get electricity right away.), drawing water from a hand dug well, taking baths in a wash tub, some times on the front porch as it was as far as we could get it to the house, heating the water in the sun (our well was at the neighbor's house and we had to haul water a quarter mile to the house, chopping wood for the fireplace... our primary source of heat in the winter time(my job was to keep the wood box full.. dad did most of the chopping), also my mom cooking on wood burning stove, 'til we got modern and got a kerosene cook stove.

I ain't old, but have been around for a long time.

Last edited:

ttpenman

Old enough

Not quite as old as a couple of you guys but I do remember that we did have a dial phone but only 3 numbers to dial. Did have TV but only 2 or 3 channels (with an antenna that was always a bit off). Only AM radio at home and in the car. Earliest car I remember was a 52 Plymouth. Learned to drive in a 58 Rambler.

Just got my Medicare card a couple months ago. Only bad part was a cut in my SS check, which was barely enough to get by on.

Thanks for the memories (Bob Hope IIRC)

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm younger than Smitty (by a couple of years) but I remember living in a few places with an outhouse, no electricity, kerosene lamps (did lots of homework under one of those), riding in a horse drawn wagon to town (I was about 6 when we got our first car -- a Model A Ford, coupe without the rumble seat... a family of 5 riding on one seat... I generally rode laying across the back seat behind mom and dad... when we moved to west Texas I rode 500 miles laying there.), my dad plowing 60 acres of farmland behind a pair of green broke mules, training them to pull the plow and cultivators, also remember when the electric companies first installed electricity down the primary roads... (we lived back aways and didn't get electricity right away.), drawing water from a hand dug well, taking baths in a wash tub, some times on the front porch as it was as far as we could get it to the house, heating the water in the sun (our well was at the neighbor's house and we had to haul water a quarter mile to the house, chopping wood for the fireplace... our primary source of heat in the winter time(my job was to keep the wood box full.. dad did most of the chopping), also my mom cooking on wood burning stove, 'til we got modern and got a kerosene cook stove.

I was born at home in a house in the Poconos of PA with no electric, no indoor pluming, and no central heat. We did not have a telephone until I was almost 9 years old. We used a coal/wood cook stove until I was about 12 and my mother kept it in a barn for canning for 10 years after that. Although when we lived where there was no indoor plumbing the hand dug well was in the back yard. Coal was cheap so in the winter we used coal in the stove but I carried in wood in the spring, summer and fall when the stove was only used when actually cooking.

Last edited:

triw51

I knew I was old when I saw a picture of a beautiful young woman standing in front of a tree wearing a very small bikini, and I noticed a great looking burl in the tree above her head.

I saw a picture of a scantly clad young lady and the tree behind her was twisted and had beautiful patterns. I was more interested in the tree, I wanted to make some bowls out of that wood.

Kenny Durrant

I knew I was old when I saw a picture of a beautiful young woman standing in front of a tree wearing a very small bikini, and I noticed a great looking burl in the tree above her head.
I understand that. The burl would be all kinds of fun to play with. The young woman would just get us old married men in deep deep trouble.

Skie_M

Careful there, fellas ..... if the pretty young lady in the pic was your wife, you'ld better not let her read this forum! :p

I was born at home in a house in the Poconos of PA with no electric, no indoor pluming, and no central heat. We did not have a telephone until I was almost 9 years old. We used a coal/wood cook stove until I was about 12 and my mother kept it in a barn for canning for 10 years after that. Although when we lived where there was no indoor plumbing the hand dug well was in the back yard. Coal was cheap so in the winter we used coal in the stove but I carried in wood in the spring, summer and fall when the stove was only used when actually cooking.

Not trying to one up you Smitty, but was born at home also, our house was a rent house that was covered with tar paper, no siding... the night I came, my dad rode to town on a horse to get the doctor... I almost beat him back to the house. The house was across the road from one of the local cemeteries and chapels... for years when people asked where I was born, would tell them Wilson's Chapel... wasn't 'til I went into the navy and had to get a birth certificate I learned I was listed as having been born in Jewett, TX...also found out I had been using the wrong name all those years... the doctor wrote Charles on the birth record instead of Charley,the name Dad wanted me to have-named after his favorite uncle....
When we moved to west Texas, the house we rented had a dug well in the back yard, about 20 yards from the house... it actually had a windmill over it to pump water into a raised holding tank, but no water into the house?? Dad plumbed the tank and put a screen around it, then a wood floor under it so we could shower under it... but only got cold water. The girls and Mom wouldn't use it, just Dad and me ever showered out there - and not in the winter.

And my last year of high school, I had an apartment in friend of my mother's house... her phone number was 98.... only two digits.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Not trying to one up you Smitty, but was born at home also, our house was a rent house that was covered with tar paper, no siding... the night I came, my dad rode to town on a horse to get the doctor... I almost beat him back to the house. The house was across the road from one of the local cemeteries and chapels... for years when people asked where I was born, would tell them Wilson's Chapel... wasn't 'til I went into the navy and had to get a birth certificate I learned I was listed as having been born in Jewett, TX...also found out I had been using the wrong name all those years... the doctor wrote Charles on the birth record instead of Charley,the name Dad wanted me to have-named after his favorite uncle....
When we moved to west Texas, the house we rented had a dug well in the back yard, about 20 yards from the house... it actually had a windmill over it to pump water into a raised holding tank, but no water into the house?? Dad plumbed the tank and put a screen around it, then a wood floor under it so we could shower under it... but only got cold water. The girls and Mom wouldn't use it, just Dad and me ever showered out there - and not in the winter.

And my last year of high school, I had an apartment in friend of my mother's house... her phone number was 98.... only two digits.
Well the house I was born in was a boarding house. My mother and father never did own a house. But our first telephone did have 4 digits I said before that where I was born was probably a bit ahead of where you were born.

sbwertz

Not quite as old as a couple of you guys but I do remember that we did have a dial phone but only 3 numbers to dial. Did have TV but only 2 or 3 channels (with an antenna that was always a bit off). Only AM radio at home and in the car. Earliest car I remember was a 52 Plymouth. Learned to drive in a 58 Rambler.

Just got my Medicare card a couple months ago. Only bad part was a cut in my SS check, which was barely enough to get by on.

Thanks for the memories (Bob Hope IIRC)

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

My first car was one of these

https://www.google.com/search?q=nas...YAZLc0mjM:&usg=__GRkHX94Pj7vdvO0p84tCJ-m5C_Y=

Even the same color.

sbwertz

I remember wearing long underwear in the winter with a button "drop seat."

My dad was an oilfield mechanic, and we lived all over the west half of the US. Until I was six, we were in a 28 foot Zimmer trailer...with a chamber pot under the bed. It did have cold running water, though, and an icebox. When I was six my brother was born and we got a 36 foot Travelo with hot and cold running water, a bathroom, and a refrigerator! It had two bedrooms so I didn't have to sleep on the sofa anymore.

Leroy, I suspect it was because I grew up in the oilfield in the wilds of Wyoming and Colorado, and Kansas, where there was no TV broadcast, and often no telephone, either.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This is one of those rare but great classic threads that we need more often. :biggrin: There have been many great posts.

Reading Sharon and Leroy's posts reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw comparing scars in Jaws :rolleyes::biggrin:

Hell, I'm only 21 ( :rolleyes: ) and I'm still trying to figure out what Sharon meant about roll down windows !! :eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This is one of those rare but great classic threads that we need more often. :biggrin: There have been many great posts.

Reading Sharon and Leroy's posts reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw comparing scars in Jaws :rolleyes::biggrin:

Hell, I'm only 21 ( :rolleyes: ) and I'm still trying to figure out what Sharon meant about roll down windows !! :eek:
Sharon and I were not what we referred to as "upper crust" folks. He dad worked the oil fields, my dad was a one handed house painter (he had only a thumb and 2/3 of the pinkie on his left hand).I learned to drive (after I got out of the Navy in 1959/60 because we had no car when I was 16) in a 9 year old 1950 Studebaker Champion and my first car (bought after the 62's came out in 1961) was a 1957 Chevy Bel-air two door hardtop Sport Coupe.

After March of 1960 I had a good job and have not been poor since. Not rich by most standards but pretty well off. But between the depression still being on when I was born followed by WWII there weren't a lot of "luxuries" at our house.

I remember also - Ration books, gas rationing stickers, taking .10 a week to school to buy a stamp, that went into a stamp book and when the book was full it was traded for a War bond. We also picked milkweed pods, saved all tin foil and other things to turn in for the war effort.

Top Bottom