Working with leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

My wife bought some leather scraps at Hobby Lobby yesterday. She thought the tan and black colors would make a good contrast for a blank. I have looked at some of the threads in the library and want to ask some additional questions.
In addition to a contact cement or white glue, has anyone use a two part epoxy as Two Ton Epoxy to glue the leather pieces together? I noticed that many recommend punching the hole and gluing the tube into the leather stack. Many say that drilling leather can be a challenge. Also, what are some finishes as CA, BLO, etc., that I should consider for long life for the pen.
I did see one pen that used a strip of leather wrapped around the tube. I have some leather strips like shoe laces that could be used.
Any and all replies are most welcome. I will try to remember to post photos.

Bob in SF

Hi John - I posted this simple leather-clad pen a while ago:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/leather-clad-tooled-pyrographed-virage-fp-151308/

My next go at it will be .5-.6mm pig suede - found this source and ordered a set of swatches - probably enough for a lot of pens - nice color choices:
Pig Suede

I'll probably airbrush on some additional color tone or imagery, pyrograph it, then CA-seal or PR-cast it; or leave it natural. (Will keep you posted).

Warm regards & have fun - Bob

Woodchipper

Bob, thanks for the links. I'll give leather a try and see how it turns out.
BTW, I was in Modesto a few years ago. Temps in the 90s. Spent a day (too little time to see anything) in Frisco, temps in the low 60s. Very chilly on the bay!

Top Bottom