Working on Taxes (YEA! RIGHT)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I took off today to finish my taxes. Last night in the chat I was asked what I'd been turning lately. BRB

"Yes sweetheart, I'm doing the taxes...almost finished."

Here are some pictures of the last few pens I've made this week. Why is turning a pen more fun than doing the taxes? Take a look.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

200541417634_Two%20ElGrandes.jpg

20054141779_Three%20Jr%20Statesmen.jpg

200541417742_two%20slimlines.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Don, I really like the Texas Ebony, Mesquite Burl and Carob pens, NICE wood. Of course, the others are pretty sweet too! How do you like the aniline dye?

its_virgil

The pen mics at .556 on top of the bands and I stopped turning at at .635. Could have gone a little closer, I guess. Mixed the epoxy and mixed in the embossing powder. Packed it into the groove and left it proud of the pen surface. Finished turning.

The maple is not that nice, but the maple pens are for a local basketball coach and his son. The floor is from his gym that got a new floor last year. The red and black are school colors and the bands are where the customer wanted them.

The red one is from the gym where I teach. Our gym was destroyed in a storm last year. I found some nice BE and curly maple in our floor and salvaged about 500 ft before it went to the dump...70,000 feet of 1" maple to the dump. The aniline dye is nice and easy to use. I have other colors but have only used the red. Turn to finish, sand through 12000 MM, apply the dye with a Q-tip, hand buff(and dry) with t-shirt fabric and apply the CA finish as I usually do.

The bocote and carob are freebies from BB that came with my last order. The Tex. ebony was purchased on a recent trip to south Tex where it grows.

Got to go, the tax man is two blocks over coming my way.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

woodpens

Beautiful pens, Don! My favorites are the Jr. Statesmen.
I took off last WEEK to work on taxes. I didn't even touch them due to filling orders and taking care of my wife's birthday party. I am going tonight to get my extension paperwork completed. [:)]

PenWorks

Well if that's how you do your taxes, your should get back a heck of a refund [:D] Hard to pick a winner out of the bunch, but I have to go with the Statesmen Jr's. Very fine work Don.

its_virgil

Thanks all for the kind words. The only way to do taxes is with a pen on the lathe.
Anthony, the Statesman and jr and the baron are becoming my favorites.
Here is the pen I turned last year to commerate the end of tax time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200541543131_USflag.jpg
<br />

PenWorks

That is a very cool pen Don. I look at that and would rather think 4th of July, [:)] not taxes [xx(]
I filed my extension, Jan 5th [:D]

its_virgil

I wasn't sure how many had seen the flag pen...april 04 was not long after we started IAP...
The flag is ribbon from Hobby Lobby, glued to the tube and cast in PR. I got it a little smaller (the top) thanm I wanted. And the pen is shorter than normal and I had to grind off the refill so the pen would function properly, but it is in my own collection. The ones I've made to sell have looked better, proportionally anyway. I always keep the first "custom" pen for my own collection. Have a great weekend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />That is one Great looking pen. OUTSTANDING!

woodwish

I did my taxes months ago but owed a bunch due to a second job that paid cash, so I finally stuffed a check in an envelope and will go mail it soon (just before 11:00 PM local time now). I really like the pen made from the old gym floor, that is a neat story. I know they will love it, I know my coaches would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom