Woodworkers cup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hey fellas, I made a couple mugs out of pine and walnut. the mug is end glued and splined with shedua with a one peice bottom.the handle is walnut , I profiled it off an old disston handsaw.One of my coworkers asked me if I could make a cup to drink mead from that he's brewing.I said sure I'll give it a try, how big do you want it?

Attachments

• woodworkers cup1.jpg
    woodworkers cup1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 291
  • woodworkers cup.jpg
    woodworkers cup.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 270
  • woodworkers cup2.jpg
    woodworkers cup2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 257
  • woodworkers cup3.jpg
    woodworkers cup3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 266
  • woodworkers cup4.jpg
    woodworkers cup4.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Thanks fells,glad you like'm.

Hank, one started off with a coat of BLO, other than that the same routine was used on both.

sanded to 220 on the handle,320 on the mug.Applied a heavy coat of antique maple gel stain,worked it in good.3 generous coats of mineral oil till dry on the inside. then 2 coats of butcher block cond. leaving till dry all over. I took the pics too soon because I'll also apply 2 coats of soft wax on the outside.

Shouldn't have to worry about seepage I hope.There's no endgrain on the inside.gotta water test them still.

Dale Lynch

Welp,looks like I posted my work before I should have.Failed the water test(frowney face).Looks like the bottom soaked it right in,sweelld outward enough to split a joint.The other faired better and only split the bottom,staves still tight(still,frowney face) though.Gonna try and epoxy coat the inside,see if one of them is savable.Dunno at this point.

Lucky2

Hmm, I wonder why the bottom sucked up so much moisture? There's no end grain there, to soak up more than the sides. But I suppose that it shouldn't surprise me all that much, it is made out of pine after all. Some type of resin will do the trick, just make sure, that you remove any wax you used. I do hope that you try to save them both, let them dry for a couple of weeks. Then have at'er. They do need to be well dried, to use any resins for the fix. Or, you could end up just wasting your time and the resins or epoxies.

Len

Dale Lynch

The only two of these I ever made I coated with Alumalite on the entire mug--that has worked beautifully according to the friend I gifted them to.
Maybe worth a try for ya!

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for the future.I have been in the process of refinishing them with envirotex lite pour-on epoxy.I just did the water test on one of them and it passed.I will post pictures of them again when I get both done plus a smaller walnut one.Took about a week to get two coats on due to cure time between coats.

Top Bottom