Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear letter O pilot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Does anybody use the Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear with the letter O pilot? Will it really fit in an 8mm tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't use this mill but after you posted your photo of it the other day it peaked my curiosity so I did some checking. According to the Woodcraft website and description, that question was asked and the answer was yes, the "O" is for an 8mm tube. I had the same question. Did you buy the 13 piece set or the smaller set. I know you were very impressed with it.

tjseagrove

Does anybody use the Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear with the letter O pilot? Will it really fit in an 8mm tube?

i posted a picture of 2 pens I made using the Ultra-Shear and they used 8mm tubes. Duraclick EDC from Penn State. It fit perfectly. I just chose the next one up from the 7mm and tried it in a spare tube to make sure it was correct.

Tom

qquake

I don't use this mill but after you posted your photo of it the other day it peaked my curiosity so I did some checking. According to the Woodcraft website and description, that question was asked and the answer was yes, the "O" is for an 8mm tube. I had the same question. Did you buy the 13 piece set or the smaller set. I know you were very impressed with it.

After having used it on several pens now, I'm still very impressed with it. I wish I had bought the set when they were on sale with free shipping before Christmas, but I didn't know if I'd like it. I just ordered the head and two pilots. I have since discovered that my local Woodcraft sells them, so I've been buying pilots there as I need them. I'll pick up a letter O/8mm pilot tomorrow.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 231
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 200
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 219
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 204

pshrynk

My experience has been that the O does not fit an 8 mm tube. I use a sleeve on the 7 mm one for that. The O pilot feels as if I have to force it in, and I was uncomfortable with that. Thinking it might have been glue or something blocking the tubes, I got a tube from an unused kit to try and it was the same story.

qquake

I picked up the pilot from Woodcraft today. I was able to see if it fit in an Americana pen (letter O) and a Cortona (8mm). It fits perfectly in both.

Attachments

• Americana_letterO.jpg
    Americana_letterO.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Cortona_8mm.jpg
    Cortona_8mm.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Americana_letterO_02.jpg
    Americana_letterO_02.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Cortona_8mm_02.jpg
    Cortona_8mm_02.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 170

pshrynk

Huh. Although I just looked at the pen I was trying to use it for and the blank has cracked at one end. I must have got some glue in there or something.

pturley

A letter "O" drill bit measures 0.316" diameter. An 8mm drill measures 0.315" diameter.

The Woodpecker's Pen Mill pilot reamers were sized to fit the ID of an 8mm OD tube (sampled across all major brands of pen kits).

Woodpeckers used the DRILL designations to identify the pilot reamers (as with all other pen mills on the market).

Apparently this holds true in most all kits EXCEPT for the Fireman's click and BOLT ACTION pens. Both of which are drilled at 10mm, but the tubing ID fits a 3/8" pilot reamer.
(I found this out the hard way just this past weekend! It always pays to read the kit instructions!!!).

Sincerely,
Paul Turley

PS: I work at Woodpeckers and am the developer of this product.

Kenessl

I bought the 13 piece set from Woodcraft last year. I turn quite a few antler pens, I've never seen anything cut through the antler like the Ultra Shear does.

pturley

I bought the 13 piece set from Woodcraft last year. I turn quite a few antler pens, I've never seen anything cut through the antler like the Ultra Shear does.

I have to ask, how well have the carbide inserts held up? My sons and I have milled and turned nearly a hundred pens with mine (mostly acrylic, some wood) and haven't had to rotate the inserts yet.

I am curious how well these do with antler.

Sincerely,
Paul Turley

eharri446

I actually found a company that has an 8mm pilot. I do not know if it will fit into the Woodpecker Ultra-Shear or not. going to pick one up today if my Woodcraft has one in stock. If the 8mm pilot will fit I will post the info on the place that I ordered it from. I have a complete set of pilots for all of the standard pen kits and it would be great if they will fit the Ultra-Shear cutter.

qquake

The design of the Ultra-Shear pilots is different, they have a cut down shank. I don't believe pilots for other pen mills will work.

pturley

Unlike all others on the market, the Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear Pen Mill Ci is driven by the MILL HEAD and not by the shaft of the reamer. This allows us to reduce the shaft size (to 3/16") and set the carbide inserts closer to centerline of the mill head so that we completely mill the ID of 7mm slimline tubes, without the annoying burr of brass common as a result of others on the market.

Unfortunately, this also means that other brands of Pilot Reamers usually do not fit the Ultra-Shear PEN MILL head.

qquake

It fits 8mm tubes just fine.

Attachments

• Ultra-Shear_8mm_01.jpg
    Ultra-Shear_8mm_01.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Ultra-Shear_8mm_02.jpg
    Ultra-Shear_8mm_02.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 148

TonyL

Hi Jim:

I very much appreciate the detailed photos that you consistently share with us. I wish I had your patience and photography skills. Thank you.

TonyL

Thank you Tony, but I just take the photos with my phone. Not much skill involved.
So do I (use a phone), trust me, if you have seen my photos, you have skill! My photos were even worse when I bought a camera just for my pens.

qquake

I used to use a dedicated Canon camera for pen photos. But it's easier to use my newish Galaxy phone. I get as good, if not better photos. I found that the Canon sometimes would have trouble focusing on what I wanted it to focus on. With the Galaxy, I just touch the screen where I want it to focus. It *usually* works well.

Top Bottom