Wooden eggs tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

alxe24

Wooden Eggs

The eggs are roughly 1â€5/8 by 2â€3/8 which is about life size depending on the egg. The one dimension that is important to keep about the same on all eggs is the diameter since this is how the egg is grabbed later to turn the ends and the ID of the chuck I made is 1â€5/8. It gives some latitude either way but not a whole lot, so diameter is important.
The first thing is cut a blank to fit the size of the project and turn round between centers.

20081901651_Egg-making-01.jpg

Once this is done mark a line on the widest part of the egg and both ends. With a parting tool turn the center line close to the final diameter and turn down the waste at the ends. It is a lot easier to make a few templates with the contour of the egg. This will save a lot of time getting to the right shape. I suggest 4 templates one for each end and two for the center, one with a partial part on the center top and the other one close to the full shape but not all the way since the ends are still thicker.

20081901732_Egg-making-02.jpg

Once happy with the looks sand and finish the egg, make sure not to part off the ends since the ends are going to aid to get the egg to run true when mounted on the chuck.

20081901813_Egg-making-03.jpg

Mount the chuck and put the egg inside, if the fit is a bit loose put some paper towel around the egg. Bring the tail stock and position the point on the dimple, lock the tail stock bring the end of the egg tight against the live center and then tighten the hose clamps. Make sure they end runs true and turn the first end to shape. (MAKE SURE THE HOSE CLAMPS CLEAR THE TOOL REST AND KEEP YOUR HANDS FAR FROM THEM. THOSE CLAMPS ARE FEARLESS OF YOUR FLESH. I SPEAK BY EXPERIENCE)

20081901856_Egg-making-04.jpg

2008190198_Egg-making-05.jpg

Once one end is finish sand and finish it, turn the egg around and repeat the process on the other end.

20081901944_Egg-making-06.jpg

20081901959_Egg-making-07.jpg

And then after the efforts comes the rewards. This will be buffed in a few days to bring a nice shine to it. One more for the collection.

20081902035_Egg-making-08.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Very nice. One suggestion is to buy one of those head sweat bands (can you still find them??) and re-sew it smaller and use that over the hose clamps. They can take a massive chunk out of your hand if you get it in the way. I have one made from bamboo, but I really like the holes to make it flex more.

GaryMGg

Nice work Alex; you should consider doing a more 'formal' version and submit it to the site. A post like this will eventually disappear; that'd be a shame.

alxe24

Define more formal. I've done it in word and I don't think I can create one i acrobat which is provably the way to go. I'd like to have it as a permanent file
Thanks for the idea

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Nice work Alex; you should consider doing a more 'formal' version and submit it to the site. A post like this will eventually disappear; that'd be a shame.

toolcrazy

Originally posted by alxe24

Define more formal. I've done it in word and I don't think I can create one i acrobat which is provably the way to go. I'd like to have it as a permanent file
Thanks for the idea

I think he means is to format it up and create a PDF. And submit it to the library for all to see. Otherwise it will get archived and no one will find it. If you need help, let me know. :D

alxe24

I have the Adobe Reader 8 but I don't think I can create a file with the freeware. Am I right thinking that? I could not find a way to create a file with it other than having to pay for a subscription kind of thing.
Your assistance would be appreciated
Thanks

Originally posted by toolcrazy

Thanks for the idea

I think he means is to format it up and create a PDF. And submit it to the library for all to see. Otherwise it will get archived and no one will find it. If you need help, let me know. :D

pssherman

You may be able to get a plug-in for Word that will allow you to save the file as a PDF. If not, ask Jeff. He can put you in touch with someone who could do any touch-up editing (like the title page and formatting) and convert it to PDF. That's what he did for my tutorial.

Paul in AR

oryan72

U can get several plug-ins for converting word documents to pdf. I recommend downloading either PrimoPDF from CNET or one of the other converters.

They are free and easy to use. All you have to do after it is installed is File - Print - Select the PDF converter and then a save window will pop up.

jhs494

Thanks Alex. The tutorial is great. Very well written and the pics make it easier to see what you did. Thanks again.

Fred

Nice 'How To Do It' tutorial. I agree with TBone when he asked how you attached the device to the lathe. Also, you might want to explain that setting the two hose clamps opposite each other will help to keep things 'balanced' when spinning.

The photographs explain what would take days to put into words.

Great job and much appreciated by many here. :D

alxe24

Originally posted by Fred_erick

Nice 'How To Do It' tutorial. I agree with TBone when he asked how you attached the device to the lathe. Also, you might want to explain that setting the two hose clamps opposite each other will help to keep things 'balanced' when spinning.

The photographs explain what would take days to put into words.

Great job and much appreciated by many here. :D

Thanks again for all the nice comments. Here it's a picure of the set up to grab the eggs. A lowes coupling and a reducer glued together and the two hose clamps. Putting them opposite to each other gieves more even pressure and balance, the slots gives a bit of flexibility for size variences and I marked the #1 to correspond to the Jaw #1 so the jig is possition on the same place every time.

20081104218_Egg-Jig-02.jpg

20081104241_Egg-Jig-01.jpg

2008110437_Egg-Jig-04.jpg

20081104447_eGG%20TEMPLATE.jpg

GaryMGg

Originally posted by toolcrazy

Thanks for the idea

Sorry, I've been roaming around and making a ruckus in other threads [}:)]
What I mean by more formal is you read Scott's new tutorial titled something like Writing a Tutorial and follow his recommendation.
When you're happy with it, submit it to Jeff in Word format. Don't submit it as a PDF.
Jeff (or one of the site co-owners) then gets one of the content team members to edit it one final time -- if needed -- add the cover page and send it back to them in Word. They then convert it to the PDF file and places it on the forum.

I've got a litle experience with the process 'cause I've edited three or four of the 2007 tutorials and will continue helping as requested.

This is gonna make a great tutorial! [8D]

Randy_

Just a couple of notes.

I'm sure everyone will be happy to know the article has been submitted to IAP and is being edited for inclusion in the IAP library.

Warning: As pictured, the set-up is extremely dangerous and should be used with utmost caution!!! The free ends of those hose clamps are extremely dangerous...... very much like the knives on a jointer. You could do serious damage to yourself if you get a hand too close to them.

In the article submitted to IAP, Alex has recommended reversing the direction of the hose clamps so the free ends face in the opposite direction.....they spin away from the turner rather than toward the turner. That suggestion will substantially reduce the risk; however, there is still some risk of injury. The previously mentioned idea of covering the hose clamps with a headband is a good one; but I wonder if all of the thinkers here at IAP could come up with an even safer method to protect our hands from possible injury??

And, finally, a question specifically for Alex. I'm wondering why you used two hose clamps? I've studied the geometry of your chuck pretty carefully...BTW, very clever idea.....and it seems to me that one hose clamp would work just fine unless there is a problem with vibration from the unbalanced single clamp?

All in all, a very nice article. I'm sure you have stimulated some folks to take a shot at turning wooden eggs!!

Randy_

I also have a question about this picture or more specifically about the lathe and the centers you are
using to turn the blank. Don't think I have ever seen a set-up like that before?? I wonder what kind of lathe
you are using and whether the center on the spindle is a spur center or something else and same question
about the tailstock.

Thanks.

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
I've turned many eggs in the past and used a similar "chuck" to hold the eggs. I made mine out of ash and the internal diameter of the chuck was slighly less than that of the egg. Ash is "springy" and strong so once the egg was inserted there was no need to clamp it with hose clamps. Take light finishing cuts to get rid of the tennons from the egg ends and all is OK without any danger of catching yourself on any additional clamping method.
Ian

Thanks for the idea

Alex,
This is a great tutorial... I copied it into word and converted it to a 2 page PDF for my own usage.. I keep info like this for future reference in my shop...

I'll send you what I did if you want..

alxe24

Sorry I was not around to respond quicker. Here is the picture to clarify, first the holding method and second the clamp orientation. The lathe is a Jet 16/42 with the standard live center that came with it I just removed the cone (showed on the tail stock) the drive center is sort of like a steb center, great if you have a catch, but any drive center would do.
As far as the clamps on the jig I think it gives more even pressure and balance. Also depending on how deep the egg is in the jig the back clamp will help, due to the curvature of the egg the second (inner clamp) could help prevent the egg getting into the jig I believe having 2 clamps is not a bad idea, but I guess one can try with a single clamp and see how it works.
Thanks again

200811695415_Egg-making-11.jpg

Originally posted by Randy_

I also have a question about this picture or more specifically about the lathe and the centers you are
using to turn the blank. Don't think I have ever seen a set-up like that before?? I wonder what kind of lathe
you are using and whether the center on the spindle is a spur center or something else and same question
about the tailstock.

Thanks.

Randy_

Thanks, Alex, that clears up all of my earlier questions; but don't think you are going to get off that easy. :D:D

Now, I have another question for you.....something that I puzzled over earlier; but failed to ask about. I am wondering what kind of tool rest that is pictured on your lathe? That thin little unsupported stud connecting the cross-piece of the rest to the post appears quite susceptible to damage if you have a catch? I've got a tool rest that I think is probably similar to yours......one in which you can screw on one of several different length cross-pieces; but on mine there is a third part that fills the "gap" and provides extra support and strength in case of a catch??

alxe24

That is a home made tool rest. My in law made for me and it's made with some type of alloy use for the aerospace industry. I figure that fo that thing to rupture with a catch it has to be a really good one.

Top Bottom