Wood vulture…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Well, I got home yesterday and saw a limb had fallen out of a tree. It had been hanging in the tree for some time now, caught on another branch, but just didn’t fall. It had some of that cancerous looking black growth on it. It’s probably no more than 4†across, so I chopped it up in 6†lengths, plan on using the centers and trimming off the plain outer rings. Not 100% sure yet.

Free wood, it pays to crack stuff open and look inside.

limb001.jpg

limb003.jpg

limb004.jpg

Yeah, my shop is a friggin mess, lol

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I dont really know. It's got long thin leaves, paperlike bark. The trees are very tall and thin, whispy looking. I'll try to get a pic soon. I dont know if that's the way the whole tree looks, it's probably just that limb because of the black rot spot on it.

Dario

Sounds like you got some eucalyptus wood. (just a guess from your description)

If your plan is to make pen blanks out of them....I'll quarter these if I were you (running through the pith as much as possible) Nice haul.

Skye

Hmmmm, sounds like it's a good thing I saved my good thumbs, I may have some bandsawing to do.. [8]

1080Wayne

Skye Your photos look somewhat like paper birch . Multiple trunks , peeling white to grayish bark with 1-2 inch long lenticels ,nice yellow fall coloring ? <div align="left"></div id="left"> Wayne Richardson

Skye

Excuse the craptacular pics…

Trees:
1030061655.jpg

Tree 1

1030061655a.jpg

Tree 2

1030061655b.jpg

Leaf from 1

1030061655c.jpg

Leaf from two which was almost the same, but serrated edges.

1030061656.jpg

jthompson1995

The leaves look a lot like cherry leaves to me. It looks like the trees were left from clearing a wooded area, could be why there is only leaves at the top. Can you get a photo of the bark from the branch you cut up, that would show more info that the older bark on the trees if it is cherry?

Skye

It came from one of those two. I think #1, not sure. I'll have to get the good camera out and zoom up there...

Skye,
Not sure but the leaf and tree looks a little like the elm I had cut a while back.. also the lichen on the limbs looks much like what is on my tree... if this were eucalyptus, you could tell from the smell.. very strong smell of eucalyptus.. even in the wood.
My tree man confirmed mine as elm.. the wood is a nice golden tan.. spalts a little.. I made a bottle stopper from a little piece..

2006103104814_BS%20SS%20ELMA.jpg
<br />

and a little bowl

2006103104849_Elm%20bowl-6.jpg
<br />

DocStram

Well ... here's my guess. I'm probably wrong, but:

a. based on the color of the wood in the end grain photos
b. and the close up of the bark

I'd say pecan. But, the photo of the whole tree looks too too be to tall without any branches to be a pecan.

Just a wild guess.

DocStram

NOOoooOOoooOooooo not pecan! I got it. Definitely! I just went outside in the dark and pulled a leaf off from one of my Yoshino Cherry trees. It is absolutely, uneqivocally, a cherry tree. But the bark in those last pictures is not the same as the bark on the first photo.

Yep, cherry of some sort. (why does the bark in the first photo look so different than the bark in the last pictures???)

Skye

Well, the "tree 1" is the tree to the left. The "tree 2" is the tree to the right. The leaves are almost the same, the bark is different. Real odd.

Reminded me of a cherry too, but is it normal to never have a cherry pop out?

I'll look at Elms on the web, see what it looks like.

Skye,
I pulled out my National Audubon Society Field guid to North American Trees... the bark on the first picture definitely looks like a Black Cherry ... I have a cherry tree at the corner of the porch.. it's a decorative cherry.. no fruit and I think my leaf looks much like yours..and the upper limbs all have a slick bark like your first picts.. I think I agree with Al now it is most likely a Cherry .

It's the Lichen that throws me.. don't know if it grows on Cherrys.

Although the bark on tree 2 looks like the bark of an american elm from my book. and Lichen does grow on them.

DocStram

Ahaaa! Somebody agrees with me ..... for being a member since only September 26, Chuck must be one smart guy!

Down here in Macon, Georgia, we're known as THE cherry tree capitol of the world. We have more Yoschino Cherry Trees than Washington,DC. A local philanthropist (Note to Skye: Philanthropist is a fancy way of saying "A Real Rich Guy") donated thousands of cherry trees to the people of Macon. They bloom a beautiful pink flower for about two weeks in the spring, strictly ornamental.

The bark in the first picture, tree 1, is cherry. My guess for tree two, based upon the bark, is oak. Maybe red oak? I'm not certain.

Al,
I'm glad to know a name for the cherry tree front of our house... every spring it turns solid pink with blossums, then they all blow onto the porch..

I still think the other looks like an Elm... neither of the leaf picts are oak leaves.

Skye

Good deal on the identification. [:)] The limb was hangin on one of the trees, but I wasnt sure which tree it came from to begin with.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get to a bandsaw. The one I've been using at work wont cut hot butter, so it may be a little while.

Hey Skye,
We've beat this dead horse bloody by now, but thought you might like to see the wood I have from my elm tree.. I was just out by the shop and noticed I have same coloring as yours...

2006103122043_elm%20log.jpg
<br />

2006103122119_elm%20wood%20pile.jpg
<br />

2006103122334_elm%20tree.jpg
<br />

Guess I might be gloating..... lots of wood there..I've sealed ends on good portion.. some of larger pieces I can't move by myself to get to the ends... waiting for my son to come home and help.

DocStram

Have y'all ever heard of a book called "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell? I got a copy of it really cheap at half.com. It's a great book all about the properties of green wood, how to cut it for turning blanks, and ways to acutally turn it. It has really good photographs and step by step instructions for about 7 different green wood turning projects.

I learned a whole lot from reading it. Especially since I came across all of those pecan, magnolia, and cedar trees that they plowed over at the university.

With all that green wood you have, especially that elm, you might wanna think about getting a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom