Wild Black Cherry Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

It's not quite finished but getting close.
After the finish has cured for a couple days I will knock back the gloss a little using 0000 steel wool and Johnson's paste wax.

Turning this one was a result of doing a picture tutorial of my bowl depth guage for someone on another site after the member was asking how to know how to prevent blowouts from going too deep when turning the inside of bowls .

That is the last piece from a whole tree of wild black cherry that I got from a neighbor back in the summer of 2008 and turned a LOT of bowls from it that sold anywhere from $5.00 to $20.00 depending on size and coloring. This one would fit in about the $10.00 range.

WCTop.jpg

WCBottom.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Gorgeous! But only $10?! You're giving that stuff away!

It's just the area I live in . I know things can sell for more in the more populated areas.
I gave up going to craft sales and just make stuff now for freinds and neighbors and to give away to charities and blind auctions etc.

Still lots of fun making things like that but no money in it. :wink:

Bree

Nice bowl!! But there is nothing that I make on a lathe that would sell for $10. You are a blessing to your customers!
:eek::eek::eek:

W.Y.

Thanks for the replies.

Here it is buffed out with 0000 steel wool and Johnson's paste wax.

Not only does it cut the gloss down to a more acceptable level , it removes the "orange peel" effect caused by the rattle can lacquer application

WCBowlFinished.jpg

bitshird

Nice bowl Bill, I like the last picture, cutting the gloss back looks like it brought out a bit more color. I'm glad you still enjoy turning,

W.Y.

It's not just bowls that don't bring a decent price in some areas . It is all turnings or any other kind of woodworking or any other kind of craft work.

I live in a beautiful part of BC which is predominantly a retirement area . Some can't afford the price and the ones that can hate to part with it. Only industry is two sawmills and a small brewery and fruit farmers.

It got the same way with pens around here . I made 300+ pens over 5 or 6 years and every year more and more people were buying mini lathes just to make pens and the competition got too keen . Last year I had a person set up a small table of pens only just opposite my big tripple table of all kinds of turnings . He was selling pens just for the price of the kits.
I questioned him about it and he said he doesn't need the money but just loves making them so he turns every sale into more kits. Great for kit suppliers but no good for pen makers.
His pens were crap compared to mine . Just a friction finish compared to my hard film finishes and his fit and finish was deplorable . But his price won out 90% of the time so I cleared out all I had left between $8.00 to $10.00 each and won't make any more except for custom orders with a reasonable profit. .

Miles42

That is a nice piece of work. My skills are limited due to only about a month of attempting Pen making and no prior lathe work. But it gives this retired soul something to do. This forum is fulled of great things you all make.

Top Bottom