Stylus for IPAD/Fire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

I ordered three of the stylus tips from CSUSA to give them a try. I made two of them into slimline pens with the stylus in place of the cap and clip. Then I took a pen blank, drilled a shallow 7mm hole in each end and glued in a short piece of brass tube. Turned it between centers and put the cap and clip left over from the stylus/pen kits in one end and the stylus tip in the other to make a plain stylus. I figure I can get one pen/stylus and one stylus from each slimline kit and a two stylus tips.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Sure would like to see a photo for that! I've wondered about combining the stylus with a pen and would like to use one on my iPad.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

sbell111

As I understand you post, you end up with a stylus/pen combo with no clip and a stylus with a clip, correct?

I've done mostly what you have done except that for my stylu, I've used a blank about four inches long and drilled it all the way through. I glued in a slim tube for the stylus end and a mini tube for the clip end.

It works pretty good except for the inherent problems engineered into CSUSA's stylus tips.

I in no means am intending to hijack Sharon's thread but here is a (not so good) shot of a pen/stylus that I used at my last show. I used it to write notes and have customers sign my iPhone for any CC transactions. I did use the roadster kit clip but you can't see it in the photo. I haven't turned a stylus only piece but this got a lot of attention at the show and I hope for orders...

As for the problems others have had; I use a small drop of flexable CA in the groove where the tip seats. So far it hasn't come off/loose even after my son tried to pull it off thinking it was an eraser:eek:.

All tyhe best,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 238

sbell111

inherent problems engineered into CSUSA's stylus tips.

What problems are you referring to? I've made about 6 of these and not found a problem.

Stan
There are three problems with the design.

The stylus tip seats into a groove on the coupler and then the trim ring presses over the coupler to lock on the stylus tip. If the tip isn't completely seated, it will not be locked in. This is the problem that is most often referred to.

A bigger problem, in my opinion, is that there is no positive stop on the coupler to keep the trim ring from being pressed on too far, thereby damaging the blank. A smaller problem is that the trim ring actually noticibly deforms as it is pressed over the coupler.

sbell111

inherent problems engineered into CSUSA's stylus tips.

What problems are you referring to? I've made about 6 of these and not found a problem.

Stan
There are three problems with the design.

The stylus tip seats into a groove on the coupler and then the trim ring presses over the coupler to lock on the stylus tip. If the tip isn't completely seated, it will not be locked in. This is the problem that is most often referred to.

A bigger problem, in my opinion, is that there is no positive stop on the coupler to keep the trim ring from being pressed on too far, thereby damaging the blank. A smaller problem is that the trim ring actually noticibly deforms as it is pressed over the coupler.
It should be noted that the issue of the trim ring being pressed on too far and damaging the blank is only a problem when not using a clip. If you are using a clip under the coupler, then the clip itself will act as a stop to keep you from pushing on the trim ring too far.

Top Bottom