Why ask for critique and comments if you don't really want them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

I am one who has posted and asked for critiques and comments non improvement on my pens and blanks. I still got the good fit and finish that posted on the majority of the posts. I started then to ask people individually thru messaging. I also started to take pens to our local penturning meetings and asked for critique.

Its much easier to get a critique when they can see and feel the pen.

Alot of my improvements in the beginning came thru messaging.

I even arranged a pen swap privately once or twice for critiques. I could see and feel hands on on how they did things and they could see mine.

JasonC

So this happened recently on another forum but I do see hints of it here from time to time.

<Caution, stepping up on a soap box for a moment>

Why do people ask for critique of their work but when you offer anything other than 100% positive feedback they go on the defensive and get their feathers ruffled and start arguing with you or throw their hands up and go stick their head in the sand? If all you want is a pat on the back, then don't ask for a critique or any other form of "how can I improve" feedback.

I think this is half the reason you constantly see the canned 'great fit and finish' response to pens that many times aren't. People are tired of providing honest feedback only to get abused for providing it. This unfortunately isn't really helping anyone improve.

If a critique is requested, be ready to receive it good or bad. If you're not ready for it, don't ask for it.

<Stepping back off the soap box>

Many times I don't feel qualified to provide feedback so I don't. In those cases where I do, it's only to help someone improve next time by offering lessons I've learned along the way.

Being a fairly new guy to the forum and pen turning I'll say I've spent A LOT of time searching and reading the forums. Not for one particular person's method/input, but for a wide-ranging group of posts about a specific subject. I know there are some highly skilled and well-known/established guys on the forum, but I'm sure that each of them will say that no one person here is the single end-all source for info on what we're doing. If anyone ever shuts out the ability to listen to new ideas, techniques, or constructive criticism, that tells me they're no longer willing to learn. And honestly, I don't think anyone here has that mentality.

That being said, when I post in the "Show Your Pens" forum I don't ask for C&C because I honestly expect an honest response and I WANT people to point out something I'm doing wrong or could have done better.

I looked forward to the PITH because I wanted to see how my work (as someone that started turning in April) compared to other members of the forum. I was also curious to see how my recipient liked the pen I sent.

I'll also be including a pen in the Pass it Forward box for the next recipient each time I participate for the same reason.

"Negative feedback" on a piece of work is "constructive criticism". You may not like hearing it at first, but like ssajn said in post #16, you'll appreciate it when you work on every pen after that. And then another guy will say "Hey, see this right here? Here's what you need to do to make it better."

It's kind of like the old "I see you're drowning. Would you like me to jump in and help you or do you want me to stand here on the shore and tell you how far away you are?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom