white spot in CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tyrithe

I wanted to experiment with applying a CA finish to one of my resin only pens, to see how it would affect the polish.

I applied 4 coats of Mercury medium flex, using a small piece of craft foam. applied accelerator between coats, and wiped the blank off with a blue shop towel. After 2 coats, wet sanded with 600 to get rid of some of the roughness, then wet sanded again after the final coat.

Assembled the pen, everything looked fine. Come back about an hour later, and this.

what_happened.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's not on the surface layer. Won't scratch off, and the light reflects off that spot like any others. Anyone with more CA knowledge who can give me a hint what I did wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Did you make sure there were no oils from your hands on the surface, wipe down with denatured alcohol or anything? Sounds like separation from your material, or moisture getting trapped within layers possibly.

tyrithe

Did you make sure there were no oils from your hands on the surface, wipe down with denatured alcohol or anything? Sounds like separation from your material, or moisture getting trapped within layers possibly.

Did not do either. Just seemed weird, because I've never had it happen when applying CA to wood.

egnald

Interesting. to me it almost looks like some of the whitish CA residue left behind on my wet sanding pads that shows up after the water dries off. Did you wait a while between wet sanding and applying your final coat of CA? - Dave

tyrithe

Interesting. to me it almost looks like some of the whitish CA residue left behind on my wet sanding pads that shows up after the water dries off. Did you wait a while between wet sanding and applying your final coat of CA? - Dave

Did not, though I thought that I had thoroughly wiped it off with a clean shop towel. Hmm.

A part of me wonders if it's worth doing the CA finish on a pure resin pen.

egnald

Did not, though I thought that I had thoroughly wiped it off with a clean shop towel. Hmm.

So far I haven't, but I seem to get an acceptable glossiness from just wet sanding with MicroMesh, even on Alumilite Slow which I've heard is one of the harder ones to get glossy. I do put on a very thin coat of Renaissance Wax after I've micromeshed though. I have been seriously considering getting the Magic Juice polish set from Stadium Blanks as most of the reviews have been simply stellar. - Dave

Hippie3180

Generally in my experience, if you Micro Mesh then use a friction polish you can get a very nice finish without using ca.

tyrithe

Hmm. I should try that. I have a 3-step liquid polish that I got while I was on a inlay ring making kick. Maybe I should try that instead.

Never tried any form of wax. Might have to give it a go.

egnald

Hmm. I should try that. I have a 3-step liquid polish that I got while I was on a inlay ring making kick. Maybe I should try that instead.

Renaissance Wax (according to Shellac.net anyway) is supposed to leave a thin, hard finish behind that buffs to a high gloss and provides a barrier against fingerprints. It's the fingerprint thing that really got me started using it. Although I have a buffer, I rarely buff it other than with a paper towel while it is spinning on the lathe. - Dave

Hippie3180

I use nothing fancy, Plastx or something like that from Autozone and it makes my pens really pop. I apply with a blue shop towel on slow speed, then bump it up to create a bit of friction as I wipe with my blue towel. Works well for me. (This after micro mesh)

Top Bottom