whistle help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fshenkin94

fshenkin94

I am stumped. Trying to make whistles for xmas but having trouble. I start with a 1" dowel that is about 3" long. I cut a 30degree slot about half way thru the dowel 1" from the end. I then drill a 3/8" hole about 3/8" beyond the slot. I turn it down to a nice shape, then insert a 3/8' dowel (that is flattened on one side) up to the beginning of the slot. I have made 5 of them so far and only 2work. What am I doing wrong.

snyiper

This may help:
Making a Country Whistle

Here's a simple guide for making a basic wooden whistle. This could be
applied to elderberry branches too, which have an easily removed pithy core.
wistle1.gif
Select a straight piece of twig or branch about 5 inches long. [Remember not to destroy our countryside in the process of finding a piece of twig. Try to use something from a windfall branch. And make sure to use a non-poisonous wood.]
wistle2.gif
Bore a hole into the stem from one end. The depth of this will vary the whistle's 'pitch'.
wistle3.gif
Then make two cuts to create a notch [one cut perpendicular, the other at 45 degrees] about an inch down the stem's length, and so that the notch cuts through into the bored cavity.
wistle4.gif
Now cut a plug of wood that is the same length as the vertical-to-tip of mouthpiece and will fit the bore tightly. Then shave off some wood to create one flat surface.
wistle5.gif
When the plug is inserted this flat surface should face towards the direction of the notch you cut previously. Finally, you'll probably want to shape the end that you put to your mouth. Your whistle is ready to use.

BACK | MAKING A TWIG WHISTLE | HOME PAGE [SIZE=-1]http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/fun/whistle.htm
Copyright © 2001-2010[/SIZE]

Top Bottom