Which Alumilite product for Pen casting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneula

I was just on their website.Does anyone have an idea of which one of
their products is best for open casting?

and how does it compare to casting PU resin in one of the silicone pen molds with no vacuum?

Less air bubbles with alumilite versus PU in open hand casting clear over a paper labeled tube?

the chip out problem with Poly is horrible if you have those micro air bubbles next to the tube.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

Alumilite Clear seems to be the most popular choice. Alumulite whit is also used where transparency is not desired.

Most have recommended using 70 PSI or more of pressure to cast Alumulite...no vacuum.

I think with PU and casting paper labels, you have to use quality labels that are sealed well and allowed to fully dry so you don't get the bubbles. That has been my experience anyway.

Oh, BTW I use to live in Ewa Beach as a kid, Ewa Kai apartments I think! Fond memories you jogged there!

Jim (aka Kimo)

NormanPaulk

I have cast alumilite clear pen blanks over acrylic painted brass tube with a cigar label. The label was applied with Mod Podge and sealed with two coats of Mod Podge. The cast was fine. However, when turning the blank several days later, it clouded up as if the Alumilite was not bonding to the paint. Any ideas?

Lathemaster

I have cast alumilite clear pen blanks over acrylic painted brass tube with a cigar label. The label was applied with Mod Podge and sealed with two coats of Mod Podge. The cast was fine. However, when turning the blank several days later, it clouded up as if the Alumilite was not bonding to the paint. Any ideas?

Sounds like the label was not completely dry (enough) - I have started Powder Coating my pen tubes and really like the results including no thickening of the tube and less time waiting for the acrylic to dry here in central Florida. I have also switched to labels and decals made by Papilio and I get them from Texascraft / HPS LLC

Also agree to keep the pressure as high as is safe for your rig. Also I use Alumilite Water Clear because I like the longer pot time and can deal with the longer demold time.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom