Where can I get...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Denatured Alcohol on the cheap? Lowes is about the cheapest I can find so far. Even on the internet, I'm not finding anything much better, and with shipping, it often turns out even worse. I'm almost out, I like to use it to dry large bowls, but it doesn't seem to last past 4 or 5 good size bowls.
I'd put it in a five gal bucket, but then I can't get the bowls in, cause they're too big. I double up a couple of trash bags, put the bowl(s) in, and cover them with DNA. Anyone got a better technique?
I'd be happy to hear it.
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yarael

Can always check hobby shops. DNA is used a lot on RC nitro cars for quick cleaning and gets rid of the H2O rusting the engines. Other than that home depot/lowes or pait stores would be the cheapest. And shipping it to you with online orders I agree would probably not save anything due to the HazMat type of shipping that it would fall under.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by terry q
<br />Dave
I don't know where you are located but I am in central Illinois and have access to a Farm Service organization and can buy Ethonal for under $5 per gallon. I can get it in 30 or 55 gallon barrels.
Terry
Now that's interesting, I have a southern states grainery/farmers supply type place near me. I'll check it out. Is Ethanol the same as DNA?

M

Mudder

Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />I wanted to revive this one so I could get an answer to my ethanol question. Is it the same as DNA?

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00102.htm

DNA is Ethanol with addatives so you will not drink it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Hope this helps.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
_Ethanol_ is the kind they make whiskey with.

_Methanol_ is an additive they mix with Ethanol to stop humans from drinking it (methanol will make you very very ill if not kill you - and it can be 'absorbed' into your skin).

Denatured Alcohol (DNA) is the mixture most commonly of ethanol and methanol, though there are a myriad of other chemicals they can and do sometimes add.

So the DNA that you really want is the mixture with the 'most' ethanol and the 'least' methanol'.

Around here we have Taylors TruValue hardware stores, and they have the highest ethanol ratio I have found.

Otherwise, buy in quantity from the local paint store. The brand that the paint store has is the same as found at Lowes, but with a quantity discount price.

tnilmerl

AS I recall from my chemistry classes, alcohol has a high affinity for bonding with water molecules. It can chap your skin something fiercem so follow all the safety guidelines. Isn't methanol what we used to call wood or wood grain alcohol? Can blind you if you drink it. Of course, some of the other alchols can do the same [:D].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom