Another Garage story, no more chipmunks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

After the chipmunk attack I worked up my courage to back and continue to work on the garage, this time on the outside. Im planning to cover the outside with wood panel, so I wanted to get rid of some of the uneven stuff that was on the outside. The garage is around 90 + years old, the outside has something that looks and feels like roof shingles, but in the pattern of red bricks . I started to tear off some of it just as my wife came by to visit. After tearing off a small corner I notice a bit of cardboard.

I thought it was just something someone put on to block out the wind, common in those days. I tore a little more off and the cardboard piece turned into poster size around 1x2 feet. So of course I hade to tear more off to uncover it. I didn’t want to take all this stuff off, just cover over it. So the more I tore off the more of the poster I found.

After taking out all the nail in the poster I got it off and turned it around. It was an advertisement for a wrestling bout. We said well that cool, wonder if there are any more, tore a little more siding off and another poster, tore more off and another poster and another and another…ok ill stop. Found about six posters three were in pretty good shape.

Im trying to date them,

I found some of the wrestlers were active from 1910 to 1960 that was no help.
It lists a phone number to call to buy tickets 26791 or 31931. Don’t know when the last time the phone company used a 6 digit number.

Ticket price is .75, 1.00 and 1.25, kids .50

My guess is there around the 30’s or 40’s

So take a look, any wrestling fans out here…….lol

BTW digging out some foundation down about two feet found two marbles red and yellow swirls…… I liked these better than the posters.
Maybe ill just quit my job and excavate my garage and sell all this stuff……lol

Oh yea another BTW after running extentions cords for a few years to power the garage, im putting in a new service the end of the month.
YAHOO........

Just took a look at the preview, dont know where the "bullet holes" came from there not in the original pictures.

2006828145432_DSC00260.jpg

200682814510_DSC00267.jpg

2006828145141_DSC00270.jpg

2006828145311_DSC00269.jpg

2006828145354_DSC00268.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Maybe looking at all those posters is what put so much fight in your chipmunk. find out what those posters are worth and your garage work may be paid for. I can really feel for you from what I see in your pictures. I jsut got through doing this to my entire house, it had asbestose shingles on it. we had to remove all those before putting on the new siding. I've also managed to nearly complete the exterior of my shop this summer as well. am working on the siding to that today. lots of work, leaves me to tired to want to make any pens. I'm hoping by this time next year I am making a show collection like steve put in show off your pens. 32 emporer kits would be cheap in comparison to the money spent on my summer remodeling. And some time to set around at a few shows sounds real good right about now.

jthompson1995

Cool find. I had a similar experience when I tore down the garage after moving into my house. Under the layers of vinyl siding, asphalt and cedar shingles, I found old metal signs. Some were road signs for landmarks but the coolest was an ad for milk. It is in three peices, about 5' square when put together and reads "Drink Milk for Health". I want to put it on a wall somewhere in my house once I find room and time. I have no idea what they would be worth but I think they're neat. Hope yours contibute a good chunk to your renovations.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You have more information than you think you do.
There are dates with days of the matches.
A perpetual calendar should give you enough information to use a process of elimination to determine the dates

pssherman

Based on the dates shown the only years they could have occurred is:

BTW, they were probably all produced in the same year.

Paul in AR

pete00

all righty Eagle, i found 1939, i was going to ask if anyone knew how often the month and day duplicate. Paul you beat me to it.

Yesterday i came accross a site that listed wrestlers and who they fought by year.

Now if i can remember where......

emackrell

From a quick online search it looks like all these guys were in their heyday in the 40's and 50's. Which also makes sense from the prices shown (who could have paid that much in the Depression?). So I'm guessing '39, '44, '50. 1944 probably less likely since they would likely have been in uniform someplace. Very interesting!

cheers Eileen [8D]

GBusardo

What a great FIND!!!!! As I was reading your post, I got a little concerned that the exterior was asbestos, but it don't look like it.
The posters must be old, that guy Chuck Montana fought twice in a row and he must have won Aug 21 cause he got top billing the next week. Imagine the fighters now fighting two weeks in a row?

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom