Where can I find trim bands for kitless caps and bodies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

freshmaker

Hey folks,

I've almost hit the 1 year mark in my kitless pen making journey. I've been enjoying it immensely (when I can get the time to do it) and having so much fun! It's such a creative outlet that I'm always thinking about and looking forward to doing.

Now for the point of this post. I absolutely love the look of metal accent trim to add elements that give a pen that much more character. I've searched through IAP and various places online to try and source some trim cap bands / body rings but can't find anything. Apparently Richard Greenwald used to make them (Clips, Bands & Rings Archives - Richard L Greenwald LLC) but doesn't anymore. There are a lot of threads on IAP about making your own bands/rings, but not where to purchase them, which makes me think it's just not something that's readily available. I do not own a metal lathe nor the time to invest in gaining the skill to do this myself, so I thought I would ask and see if anyone has any information on where to purchase such a thing. It would be amazing if they were rhodium plated to match steel / rhodium plated gold nibs, but at this point I'm not picky! I'm even willing to adjust my pen size to accommodate pre-made band/ring sizes (though ideally they'd be 13 & 14mm inner diameter for body rings, and 12 & 13mm inner diameter for cap bands).

I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on the topic (or links to any existing threads I may have missed). Thanks so much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I've not been on here long but everyone talk about Rick Herrel I think it is. Maybe he could order some or make some for you. Seems like you might need someone who does machinist type work. I know Turners Warehouse carries the clips etc, but I don't see rings.

hokie

Richard Greenwald's retirement really seemed to leave a hole in a certain segment of the penmaking market. I know you said you're not in the market for a metal lathe, but I will say it's one of the best investments I've made. If I had enough spare time, I'd even consider a side hustle making trim rings.
Without knowing a decent source for premade trim rings, I guess all I can add is that I agree with you 100% as far as the impact even just a little bit of metal trim has. It really classes up what would otherwise be a rather unremarkable pen...
1690943619522.png

1690943682850.png

I used to make my own on my wood lathe. I would buy a stainless steel bolt close to the size I wanted and use a file to get it the rest of the way down to what I wanted. Then use sharpening stones to get the scratches out and polish with sandpaper and Mothers metal polish. In fact the first few kitless pens in my photo's are done with a wood lathe, file and a lot of time.

EricRN

I know some folks buy silver wire and then solder rings from that. Lots on YouTube on how to do that but it's a new skill set for sure.

freshmaker

There's one there that might actually work, at least for the body given the largest diameter they have is 0.5 inch / 13mm. I'll need something larger for a cap band. Thanks for this!

We recently added these; https://www.exoticblanks.com/?target=search&mode=search&substring=trim rings&including=all

I Don't think they are what you envision, but I thought they might be usable.
FWIW,
Ed
Thanks, I think I could make it work but they're not big enough unfortunately :(

I used to make my own on my wood lathe. I would buy a stainless steel bolt close to the size I wanted and use a file to get it the rest of the way down to what I wanted. Then use sharpening stones to get the scratches out and polish with sandpaper and Mothers metal polish. In fact the first few kitless pens in my photo's are done with a wood lathe, file and a lot of time.
This is an interesting idea! I might give it a try. It certainly sounds like quite the time investment though.

freshmaker

Richard Greenwald's retirement really seemed to leave a hole in a certain segment of the penmaking market. I know you said you're not in the market for a metal lathe, but I will say it's one of the best investments I've made. If I had enough spare time, I'd even consider a side hustle making trim rings.
Without knowing a decent source for premade trim rings, I guess all I can add is that I agree with you 100% as far as the impact even just a little bit of metal trim has. It really classes up what would otherwise be a rather unremarkable pen...
View attachment 357871
This is gorgeous!

I definitely want to get a metal lathe at some point, but I'm just not ready for that yet. If you ever start that side hustle, I'll be your first customer, haha :)

Aurelius

You might want to look at jewlery supplier or, better yet, if you know anybody that makes jewelry. In that field, most people make whatever size they need so maybe they could make some for you. Alternately, if you have access to a metal lathe if even for a day, you could always start with rod stock (not silver obviously, but you could do steel or aluminum pretty easily), turn it to diameter, drill out the middle, and then just part off a whole bunch.

its_virgil

Richard Greenwald's retirement really seemed to leave a hole in a certain segment

Richard Greenwald's retirement really seemed to leave a hole in a certain segment of the penmaking market.
From Richard Greenwald back in Dec of 2022: My complete lapidary, jewelry, and pen shop has been acquired by Emmanuel Caltagirone (Manu) and The Pen Family, and is now on its way to Miami. It was a fun 50 years, time to rest.

Top Bottom