What wood is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I got a nice chunk of wood, that has small burls on it, but I don't recognize it. I thought it was maple, but the bark is red, especially the cross section of the bark. The wood is quite hard and is spalted. Does this look familiar to anyone? The logs are soaking wet, but this thin slab is dry and warped pretty badly. It was a cut-off.

I don't know if the red tint is from the bark, or not.

20063617235_DSCN2189.jpg

200636172315_DSCN2190.jpg

Thanks,
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

It REALLY looks like maple including the bark. I am not sure about the red in the bark either but there are so many species and cultivars of maples.

BigRob777

Billy,
I am applying for a permit to get more of the wood, but I can't sell it. That doesn't take into account this wood here. I think I'll probably include it as a gift for future purchases. You know, spread the wealth. It is still wet, though it was cut down months ago. The rest is still sitting out there. I just got a phone call, while I was writing this. My permit is signed.[:D] BTW, the odd shape is from critters. This slab was hollowed out and was the base of the tree. There must be 30 or 40 burls on the rest of it. Now I can go to all of the city parks and pick up cut wood (from storm damage). I'm loving that. Unfortunately, it is not to be sold. Good thing I'm a wood worker.
Rob

JimGo

NICE Rob! I'm sure you'll put it all to good use! And if not, Michael Wine, Draken, DCBluesMan, and I will be glad to take a road trip! [:)]

BigRob777

Pastor Bill,
Except that the critters weren't worms, it looks that way(see below). I think they were either carpenter ants, or termites. This area is crawling with those little Buggers.
I was hoping for oak, but the bark is all wrong. I know it isn't locust. Some of it will go into stopper blanks and some into pen blanks. I'll turn the rest into bowls.

Jim,
Ah, incentive for a trip. Add a BBQ in my back yard and you've got more than enough incentive to get you guys up here. And you've seen my gut, so you know I can cook.[:D]
Make sure you bring your wives / girlfriends (but not both[}:)]). Just kidding. You guys are top notch. Claudia will quickly tire of wood and turning talk. That's about all I have to talk about. Well, I actually got caught up on my recent orders, so I think I'll play around and make a pen.

So, unless there's someone out there who knows differently, we'll say this is <b>spalted maple burl.</b>

Draken

Hey BigRob, I'll be happy to take some of that wood off your hands for just shipping costs. [}:)]

Although, a BBQ does sound interesting too, once the weather warms, that is!

Cheers,
Draken

BigRob777

Draken,
It'll be a door prize at the BBQ. I'm like a hobbit, I like to give out presents.[:D]
I'm not a treckie, but I am a Tolkeinie (sp?).

Now that I've been in touch with each of the 4 of you about this BBQ, you guys need to find a time that is open to each of you. Easter Vacation is out though. I'll leave my guard hamster on duty, watching over my shop.[:p]
Rob

ps I'll have to get in touch with the guys on this end (Dan, Joe and Clem).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom