What to do???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

I am currently a Senior in High School and am lost in where to go with my life... We have a program through our school where we gan obtain all college general credits so as of right now I'm already 40 credits into my associates degree but still have no idea what to do... I love applied sciences and using my hands, and I definatly do not want to be constrained by office walls. I want to get my name out there so what I'm getting to is do any of you have any ideas of an interesting career or any general life tips to go by as I start the first day of the rest of my life?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Am i glad I am not you!:biggrin:

The questions you pose are very good questions. I gotta say you are already leaps and bounds ahead of where i was at your age!

If you like applied science and using your hands, I would suggest maybe Engineering. That way you still get to dabble in science and still use your hands.

Aim for the stars! But don't be fooled by a streetlight!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Jonathon,
Committing to a career can be intimidating. Changing majors in college is a very common occurrence by students who just can't seem to get a handle on what they want to be doing for the rest of their life. The only advice I can offer is to do a little inner reflection, self evaluation and decide what it is that you truly love doing. Chances are, to some degree, you are already doing it. You consider it to be fun. As long as you do something you love you never have to "work" a day in your life!! I suggest that you don't hesitate to continue your education upon graduation from High School. If you just can't decide, start taking business courses. That is a good foundation for almost anything else you may want to do. In the, "real world" the type of degree you possess very often is not as important as the mere fact that you posses one.
Good luck to you.

jimm1

Jonathan, have you taken any interest inventory assesmnets through your high school guidance counselor? Being a high school counselor, I am constantly working with my students on this topic. One suggestion I have for you is to take the ASVAB - the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. It is the greatest career tool out there. You will get those recruiting calls, but deal with that. It is a really good assesment. BYU also has an incredible Career Center. You may want to explore this with them.
Otherwise, who are you getting your college creidts through? I am sure they have a career center that you would have access to.
PM me if your school counselor isn't doing what they need to be doing and you need some specifics.
Jim

1080Wayne

I think you have a lot of company in your quest . Fifty years ago , we were told that we would probably go through three careers in our lifetime . I have done that , and I hate to think of how many you may face , given the speed with which things are changing .
Applied sciences might equal one of the engineering fields . Entry level jobs will frequently be somewhat hands on . Hands on could also lead into one of the trades .
Any preference for one of the sciences over the others ?

LEAP

Have you thought about Marine Engineering? Marine engineering is a very diversified field that exposes you to aspects of mechanical, electrical, electronic, automation and other enginering fields. The US Merchant Marine Academy at Kingspoint NY is subsidized by the govt and is free to US citizens. Being from Utah there are probably openings for your state. You have to get a senator or representative to nominate you but I can't imagine that would be a problem. It's about as hands on as you can get and a large number of the graduates move on to stationary plants either upon graduation or after a few years at sea. It's a world class education and the school has a strong alumni network that assists graduates with making connections in the real world. There are also state academys in Maine, Mass, Texas, NY and California if you don't want the stricter military atmosphere of Kings Point.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
First make a list of what you dont want to do. That will at least narrow it down to what you will consider.

SonOfMartin

I offer this advice from this perspective:

I have two sons in college (one about to graduate in May - he changed his major and the other already changed his major).

I have three college degrees - and don't work in the field of any of them (well maybe the last one...)

My wife and I have foster-parented over 100 high school age boys and I gave all of the above the same advice: My Dad always told me this (no kidding) - "it doesn't matter if you get a degree in playing checkers - just get a college degree".

At the time I didn't understand his advice, and I wandered about for several years until I understood it - it opens doors. It doesn't guarantee you anything except the possibility of an open door.

Now, as for what to do with your life, I give this advice - don't worry about it.....Enjoy college and all that goes along with the experience. You may only get one chance in life to "do college" - so go do it and don't look back.

I was once about to have emergency surgery after an accident and I was talking to my surgeon. I don't know why I asked him this, but I asked what his college degree was in (not his MD). He said "History".

He told me that he didn't know what he wanted to do in life, so he got a history degree. Then he met a girl who was going to medical school, so he took the tests, was interviewed, etc and got in.

Next thing he realized that he liked "tools and hardware" so he became an orthopedic surgeon.

You never know where life will lead you, but having that degree will always be something that CANNOT be taken away from you.

pssherman

Jonathan,
Let me second Jim's suggestion. See your high school counselor or the career counselor at the University where you are getting your College credits. There are tests that measure your interets and your abilities then provide a list of careers that match them. When you have that list you can research them to see which ones interest you. You will find that there are many careers that you never knew existed. As an Engineering Professor, I give this advice to students who are unsure or have doubts about their chosen career path.

cozee

How about going into the military until you figure things out??? You can be productive and earn $$$ for college at the same time, not to mention the priceless education you will learn while serving. Besides, if you get a degree just for the sake of getting one, what do you really have? Unless you apply what you learn then why have you spent the time learning it or how are you productive?

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
There are still several really big international companies that offer careers for graduates / students /apprentices. I work on the service side of one of the biggest electrical engineering companies in the world and after 30 years, I still love it. One of the beauties of working for such a large company is the diversity. Once you have a foot in the door, you can eventually tailor your own job. The variety of work is quite staggering and your choices are endless. There isn't much that either uses, switches, generates or transmits electricity that we don't make.
I chose to stay 'on the tools' instead of management and now I work mostly in the UK, but do get to travel the world periodically. It's a good life for a young person. Perhaps not suited to a family man at least till you have found your niche.

Have a look at our web site and other big companies and see what takes your fancy. Good luck
http://www.abb.com/

Dan26

I agree with Cozee. Trading four years of serving your country, gaining life experiences, and getting big bucks for education is a great way to get started. You can probably get halfway through a bachelors before your four years are up.

CabinetMaker

I am currently a Senior in High School and am lost in where to go with my life... We have a program through our school where we gan obtain all college general credits so as of right now I'm already 40 credits into my associates degree but still have no idea what to do... I love applied sciences and using my hands, and I definatly do not want to be constrained by office walls. I want to get my name out there so what I'm getting to is do any of you have any ideas of an interesting career or any general life tips to go by as I start the first day of the rest of my life?
Commissioning Engineer! You can travel to many places around the globe and work with your hands.

stolicky

It sounds like you are off to a good start with having 40 credits. You could actually start college as a sophomore. I had a friend that did that at Syracuse. It actually gave her better housing choices.

I always liked to build things so I went the civil engineering route. However, I also do not like the office jobs as much (even though that's primarily what I do now) so I ended up pursuing the project management route. I almost went into heavy construction (Big Dig, Boston) but then stumbled into the utility industry. Oh, I am not really a fan of math and science either, but I'm a lesser fan of reading literature books! There are actually a lot of opportunities in utilities and energy companies, and its not an industry that is going away anytime soon. I have been out of college for about 10 years now, and most of the people I work with are 15-25 years older than I am. That tells you there is a big wave of new hires that will be needed fairly soon.

I do agree that going to college and getting a degree is a really good thing to experience. You really do learn more than academics.

But hey, you can always make pens!

witz1976

The only words of wisdom I can offer is never back down from an opportunity. I spent my first 4 1/2 years in college getting a 2 year Liberal Arts degree...The first 2 were a little rough. Anyway after taking a semester off I went back and earned my Law Enforcement Degree, then joined the Military. Which was a great experience, but unfortunately I learned my body was not made for running ended up with hip dysplasia. So I became a dispatcher. Quit after 2 years as I felt I was living in the shadow of my dream so I stumbled into sales at a stove shop. 6 years later I have been a store manager of 1 shop, an assistant of another, and now work for a small family owned shop. I pretty much run the place, which my boss loves. (I do too...he stays home:wink:)

Anyway I wish you luck on your journey. I am sure you will have a blast! I did:biggrin::biggrin:

David Keller

SonofMartin has a good idea. I love applied science and working with my hands, and orthopedic surgery is a fantastic combination of the two. I love my job, and I'd be happy to visit with you about it if you're interested.

Jonathan,
Many many years ago, I remember being in the same quandary... my dad wanted me to be a civil engineer, I didn't know what I wanted... unlike you, I think I just drifted with the flow for a bit... I did 4 years in the navy right after highschool, then sorta fell into my career as an international shipping manager... was a good career for me...I liked numbers and the challenge of the logistics of moving cargo all around the world.... I got to do some international travel.
You've gotten a lot of good advice here from a lot of good men.. but at 17-18 it's really hard to decide what you will be doing at 40 or 50 ... take some time, get some life experience... what you think you like today can change and likely will. In the end, no matter what advice you get, it's really and truly a decision only you can make.
Good luck!

nava1uni

I agree with a lot of what Chuck has said. It is hard to decide what you want to do at 17 or 18 for the rest of your life. It is possible to have many careers in a lifetime. I have been a street artist, a Canon copier repair person, an auto mechanic and owned my shop for 15 years, a biomedical engineer and then I returned to school and became a registered nurse. Learning can happen in many arenas in your life, but it is important that whatever you do it should sing to your heart. Especially since you will spend the better part of your day and life doing it.
Use all of your resources, school counselors, testing, etc. so you understand all of the options available to you.

HSTurning

At 13 I went into a trade high school and had to pick a trade. I was thinking of a couple different trades and the I realized. No matter what trade I picked I wouldn't want to do it for a living after 4 years of school. 17 years later I have yet to work in the trade I took other then when I was in school.
The last stat for job turnover I can remember was "the average person changes their career 6-7 time in their life".
I would tell any kid "if you have the chance to go to college you should go".
Whatever career you choose make sure it is something you like and enjoy.
In your life your education is who you are until you leave college. Your education helps you get a job. At that point your job is who you are. You spend more time in school and at work then you do with friends or family.
JMO

JimBlack

From an engineer/surveyor/geologist/professor/business owner

Step 1 - follow Jimm1's suggestion and contact your high school counselor about vocational/interests testing. I knew I was going to be a Civil Engineer from the time I started walking. I took those tests anyway, and they indicated I was best suited to be an Engineer or Scientist– right on!

Step 2 – even though circumstances may change with time, evaluate what you want in life. Always best to make the best decision at the time. Indoors or outdoors, desk work or working with your hands, instant gratification or long range planner, design the product or build the product, etc, etc, etc.

Step 3 – evaluate whether money or job satisfaction is most important to you. As an employer, I find that job satisfaction is nearly always considered more important in the long run than income. However, highly satisfied and productive employees produce more income for the company, and they are paid accordingly. What goes around, comes around. An employee who is not happy in their job will sooner or later be a detriment to the company. As a business owner, I truly enjoy creating jobs for those who are enthusiastic about learning and want to be the best in their field.

It will never be as easy to get higher education than immediately after high school. So, if you decide this is best for you, try to continue your education without a lapse.

I am a licensed Civil Engineer, Land Surveyor, and Geologist. Definitely the right decision for me for nearly 40 years. But not necessarily for everyone. As an engineer, most work is desk work with a lot of design and mathematics (my true love). But I could spend more time outside if I wished. As a surveyor, about half the work is outdoors taking measurements, and about half indoors reducing the data and making a drawing of your work. As a geologist, most of the work is outdoors.

I also teach civil engineering and surveying at an accredited university – see my following post.

workinforwood

I am going to recommend you join the Air Force. I get the feeling that your aptitude is going to trap you behind walls, be it an office or a lab, either way it's trapped inside. What you need is a government situation, and the best place to begin is probably the military. I wouldn't say you should be a ground trooper. You should be those guys that design walls and canals and what not. Army core of engineers..that's what I was thinking..that's you dude! And when you get there, the people in Louisana would appreciate it if you could recommend a bigger wall for them!!!:biggrin:

I don't envy your position. My life advice is to work hard at everything you do. Pay cash for everything you buy..the only exception to that rule can be for a house and that house must be well within your means to pay. You and your family precede everything. Be the best that you can be.

JimBlack

More interesting options

Despite what our educators seem fixated on, college is not best for everyone or best for society either. With most adults being able to do less and less for themselves – plumbers, auto mechanics, home repairmen, technicians, etc will be in big demand. Vocational schools are best for many people.

But how about a great blend; how about a 4-year accredited college degree for free (YES, I SAID FREE) along with woodworking skills. One excellent college near my home, Berea College (http://berea.edu) in Berea, Kentucky, offers great 4-year liberal arts studies along with work skills. All students get free tuition and the student works for the college. This work may be WOODWORKING, other crafts, being a chef, hotel management, accounting, etc. Room and board is not offered to all, but assistance with these expenses is offered based on need. See http://bereacollegecrafts.com, watch the short video, then click "Woodcraft/Furniture" for examples of what students make in their student crafts shop. These items are sold around the world which partially compensates for the tuition.

You list an interest in computer technology. One of Berea's graduates, Dr. Samuel Hurst, invented touch screen technology for computers and cell phones. WOWWW! I have met many physicians, CEO's, professionals, and business owners who credit Berea College for offering them a start.

This is a long way from your home, but it is an example of one great option. A search may find a similar facility nearer to you.

Military service is also a great and admirable option. Many of my best students are vets returning to school. Unlike many young students, they are very interested in gaining knowledge and skills rather than partying. Your service will provide you with funds for a 4-year college degree anywhere in the country.

If you wish to discuss a 4-year degree in engineering or surveying, leading to a professional career, PM me.

Best wishes.

OldGrumpy

Career

Look at the things you really like to do and then say "What careers fit within what I like?" Like working with hands then consider any multitude of engineering fields. Don't want college now - consider vocational school in something like auto technology or heating & air conditioning.

Main thing is to be in pursuit of something - you have a lot better chance of ending up somewhere than if you just sit idle wondering. Always give your best.

Top Bottom