what kind of vacuum gauge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mavrick1903

ok, so Inches of vac, not a neg PSI rating then. and only need to go to 30 on the gauge, and never expect to get beyond 29 and then only when the planets align. sound about right?[:)]

great12b4ever

Yes. 30 inches of vacuum is considered a pure vacuum, and that is extremely difficult to attain! anything above 26" of Mercury vacuum is considered OK, 27-28 in Hg is good and 29 in. Hg is excellent, unless you are in a laboratory setting with expensive equipment.

Fred

Why do you need a gauge anyway? You will NEVER be able to achieve a vacuum better than 29-30" of mercury here on the earth using equipment available to you. Pull a vacuum and seal off the container5. If it leaks down fix the seals and try again. When it holds a vacuum then put your material into the chamber and vacuum away.

When you pull a vacuum any volatile material (thinners) will actually boil away and take up the space created by the vacuum. Then you will see a decrease displayed on any gauge used. I see no reason to visually monitor the degree of vacuum as one can always turn the vacuum on again and in minutes have a negative pressure equal to what the vacuum pump can generate. You will have to turn the pump on again during the process anyway unless you let it run continuously - not recommended. Oh yea, gauges are an excellent source for leaks anyway unless you spend some big bucks on a darn good one! Be sure to have your material in one container and that container inside another one to catch any boiling over of materials.

Save your money ... buy tools and blanks instead! [:D]

Firefyter-emt

Interesting theroy here, and I agree with you to be honest. My concern is that you are pulling those vapor fumes into the gauge as well.

The plus size is knowing that the $9.99 pump from Harbor Fright is really working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom