What kind of figure is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

My most recent purchase is this bubinga board, which was said to be pomelle. I've never bought, or seen (other than in doctored pictures) pomelle. I dampened a small part of the board, to show the figure. It has already started to dry, as you can see from the horizontal line in the middle.

My wife thinks it's birdseye and I'm wondering if she's right. It's awesome to me that she's picked up that term from me, especially since I don't normally carry birdseye.

It may just be that my photography was bad. I know that it's Bubinga. What type of figure do you think it is?
2006128132015_DSCN2952.jpg

Here's a pic of the end grain. It is completely oposite of curly, which doesn't show anything in end grain. These ripples go up the tree, instead of accross, like curly. Also, birdseye wouldn't show like this either. I'm tempted to try it cross-cut, so that these "waves" show in my pens (when I get a chance to turn again).
2006128133110_DSCN2955.jpg

BTW, I'm not selling it yet. I just want your opinion. I'm taking some time off from posting specials, so I can finish making Christmas presents. I'm still filling individual orders though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I've seen boards like this referred to as pomelle or quilted, but it's not really what I think of when I think of pomelle. How about "highly figured"? [:D]

BigRob777

WWID,
Good guess. I think that beeswing is basically loosely curled wood, with a twist in the middle, or something of that effect. I always see it at an angle too. This doesn't seem to have much of a pattern, except for the end grain. I was wondering if it's waterfall.

Here's what I think is beeswing, though it isn't a perfect example.
2006128143430_DSCN0126.jpg
<br />
Rob

BigRob777

Thanks Chris, Jim and Whatwoodido. It seems like waterfall is more like quilted. At least the pics I've recently seen indicate that. I wish there was a pictorial standard to look at, for comparison. Hobbithouse is the closest I've seen to that, but there's still a wide variation there too. I'm thinking that this is a form of pomelle.

I just looked it up on hobbit's site and here's a link. The 2nd row from the bottom, on the right side shows a very similar shot of pomelle. I know that sapele seems to have a different look than others too.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_pomelle.htm
Rob

airrat

Hey Rob I have some bubinga similiar to that. I have one set up to turn. I will try to post a picture of it but as you all can tell I have not posted a picture of a pen in quite some time.

whatwoodido

This link is to an auction with the same type of wood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1003-INTENSELY-FIGURED-BUBINGA-BOWL-BLANK-KILN-DRIED_W0QQitemZ290056873325QQihZ019QQcategoryZ71235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BigRob777

Thanks Guys,
Billy, no problem. I couldn't do shopwork today, as my power was out for over 3 hours. I'm going to go ahead and call this pomelle and let the pictures do the talking, when I'm done my Christmas trays. Thank all of you for your opinions and for the peek at the bowl on ebay. I think this stuff will be better for pens. That bowl was a bit busy, though beautiful. I hope nobody here turned it. I don't want to step on any toes.
Rob

JimGo

Rob,
I'll be driving past your house on the 27th...if you have some cut, I can stop and pick it up on my way home! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom